4th generation DK lore

So, we all know that the 3rd generation of Death Knights was cured to feel “unending agony” if the don’t inflict suffering onto others. Whatever that means specifically.

We have seen mutlible DK’s and undead in-game that show many different emotions - negative and positives. So I won’t go into that. It’s pretty clear to me that all this self-pity and hatred is based on the fact that you have become what most would call a monster.

But…what about the curse?

I could see Arthas designing it to ensure that his Death Knights will cause the most chaos possible. But has it ever been lifted? Do the Ebon Blade Guards have a secret torcher room in Archerus’ basement where they torchure a random Paladin every once in a while?

And what about Bolvars Death Knights? Do they too suffer this curse? Does it come with the power to use Rune-magic? Because that doesn’t really sound correct. I know Bolvar was an a**hole while he was wearing the Helm of Domination, but did he too use this curse for his Death Knights?

The only evidence I have, is that the new Four Horsemen don’t have a single voiceline that implies that they suffer in any way shape or form. Even Darion Mograin appears to be more chill in Legion and BfA then he was in the old DK staring zone.

The other thing is that in the WotLK staring zone, the Lich King whispers to you things like “Kill them all” which might be the only time we see how the LK drives his Death Knight to killing.

I would like to discuss this since I can’t see a Vulpera DK goung full Mortal Kombat on an innocent town.

Besides that: How does this curse manifest? How many times do you have to kill? How long until you have to kill again? Would the killing of a rat count and so on…

There is no lore about 4th generation DKs. It’s literally an “…pull” from them to make subraces and pandaren death knights.

Or do you genuinely think that that little 5 minute scenario, alongside no DK features of subraces (hell they didn’t even bother to alternate the voice of subraces to a death knights rofl) is something note worthy.

Do yourself a favor. Stop believing the Lich King would resurrect things like mechagnomes or LF Draenei, or vulpera…
Its a lore abomination. I thought that anyone getting ressed as a death knight besides Human, Blood Elves and Undead were already a stretch.

4 Likes

With the extra races they introduced in the run up to SL, they would of done better going down the lines that the shattering of the veil caused some spirits not pass on as the machinery of death has “stalled”.
Like when an engine doesn’t burn cleanly.

At least then no specific character agency like the input of the Lich King is required to bind them to the mortal plane in that cursed existence.
It then becomes something more of a general consequence.

The question then becomes if the effects of shattered veil are localised to just those who pass on near/on Azeroth or beyond, near the event horizon itself.

The Acherus DKs channel it to do good as far as possible, doing vigilante justice etc.
and no, it has not been lifted, even Bolvars DKs suffer it, because it hardens them.
As far as i remember this was mentioned in the short story released before SL launch.

their lore is that they are the unworthy children of a pretender to the crown raised as a large ditch effort to keep his stolen crown

As of right now, the Helm of Domination is destroyed, so after that anything can happen, whatever the writing team would want to blame on it’s influence could be removed.

Some extra details about the new DKs prior to the events of Shadowlands (and destruction of the helm) could be found in the last short story. It’s mostly good, except failing on the fact that Sally Whitemane was using the Light spells as a DK since the day she was turned into one.

gl hf

Basically, they were raised and then sent back home to mingle among the living and “find themselves”. I seriously doubt Bolvar would place the eternal hunger on them, considering he didn’t even want to control them or suppress their emotions.

Your image broke the thread.

2 Likes

holy heck, what the stretchington?

Blizzard forums being unable to handle links to blizzard website. Top execution.
:+1:

gl hf

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.