9.0 Class redesign suggestions

There are some aspects that I agree with, many of the skills that made this class unique , jumped to other classes. This made shaman placed at the corner of sorrows.

just revert to woltk

legion enhance can die in a fire (which it actually does because our survival is so bad that even a campfire will kill us)

2 Likes

Those memories … of a good (and FUN) enhan shaman

1 Like

I’d say in terms of Enh - revert to Cata. Rest specs were cool in Wrath but Enh had it’s peak in cata. Mana regen on hit, kiting + hitting playstyle and Searing Totem stacks were so fun. Ele was better and more fun when it was a caster not instanter like now and Resto should have strong casted heals as you mentioned. What definetely needs to be back is Totem Bar, Weapon Enhancenents (I always connected R shaman with Earthliving sound). We shamans were always great support class and we lost it from WoD till BfA. I don’t think they would bring back the Totem Bar and make us cast because they want to keep this instant spamming arcade playstyle and they said that they removed buffs because “they do nothing” and they want to keep only active spells.

Gust of Wind and Unleashed Lightning needs to come back for Elemental. Stay away from me with that piddly searing totem stick.

Elly was at their best with mop design.

I prefer MoP Enhance, especially 5.4.7.

whatever as long as i don’t have to play whackamole stormstrike reset garbage anymore

2 Likes

I feel like these are last times we can talk about suggestions and things we dont like. After expension reveal they will be just tested for minor tweaking. So here are my thoughts again for all 3 specs.

• Enhancement

1 Flametongue frostbrand business has been bashed enough but cant be stressed enough. It’s not fun gameplay and should be replaced.

2 Serious burst damage doesnt exist. Warlocks and mages along with other classes are allowed to have it through things like combustion and infernal. Our damage is always constant and too depended on good luck.

3 Ascendance. I always liked this spell. I think this ability is unique among other malee specs and could be utilized better. Removing damage part of it could make us use this ability better stuationally. Now we have to use it with other cooldowns and trinkets which makes it “range” kind of irrelevent or a small bonus. Instead, feral lounge could be removed and cd of ascendance would be reduced or turned into a “toggle” ability which spends mana or maelstrom or something like that. But having it NOT increase damage is crucial here imo.

4 Stormbringer wreaks our damage on times we cant stay on target or be unlucky. Proc of it should’nt reset itself. Maybe it’s proc could unlock another ability like outlaw rogues. On times we’re cc’ed or unable to be on targets. We dont gain anything like energy or ticking dot damage not even waiting short cooldowns. We’re utterly gimped. Should’nt be like this.

5 Primal primer. I liked this talent build even tho its not best atm. Ramping up to a good damage source is fun as long as you’re lucky enough. Ramp up could be longer to be rid of rng part.

6 True crit. Having too many “little” sources of damage makes our burst practically impossible. When a destro lock throws 2 chaos bolts they know what damage they deal. Even if we have same crits chance with other classes, when we press stormstrike button twice, chance of all our damage sources to crit at same time is next to zero. Having too many little damage sources hurts us on many levels.

7 Survivability. Dont know what to say about this. This is an obvious lack of ability when compared to other specs. Packed with bad crowd control and no burst, it becomes more punishing than it is.

8 Hex already has a cooldown. We dont cast anything so people always have interrupt against us. Our stun is already very avoidable. Making hex instant for enhancement should be obvious.

9 Feral lounge. I don’t know why we have it. It looks bad. Doesn’t fit the shaman. Even name of it sounds wrong. I could list 10 things to have instead of this. A version of ascendance as i mentioned would be best imo but if not, we should have a different gap closer with different name and animation. Fundemantelly, we should’nt be as gimped as other melee classes when we loose melee range. But this is the opposite atm. We’re the most punished spec in the game when we loose melee range. I dont know if design philosophy will change that much. But should!

10 2 Handed weapons. I dont know what to say anything other than please. I want to wield a huge 2 handed totem with my tauren shaman. Like the one bashing that dwarf hunter in vanilla cinematic!

11 Shocks, hard hitting shocks please.

• Resto

1 Numbers wise resto is in a bad place. I think developers think utility spells of resto is too good to have good healing on top of it. This could be true in some stuations but current design of pve content doesnt make them needed. In pve they arent even that good.

2 Resto druids for example has good instant heal over time spells. This is their signature thing which isnt considered while balancing healing spells. They also have cc without cooldown and good damage and better utility (they are obviously op in many stuations). Monks can heal from oolos. Holy paladins are tank gods. We should have a quirk like that. Maybe we could be offensive healers like back in the day. Having a good damage on top of competative healing?

3 Healing rain’s radius should be increased dramaticly. Cooldown should be removed and be made instant like resto druids. We rely on it more than them.

4 Chain heal’s jump range should be increased dramaticly.

5 Earthen wall totem is unique among healers and also could be more valuable. Range again should be increased and if it could have gained from echo of elements into having 2 charges it would be much better. Damage suspension is an awesome idea and valuable tool.

6 Ascendance. Again i like this spell. Would love to have it as baseline for resto too. Instead of making it a numbers cooldown having it as an utility spell would be awesome. It could be great if it stopped “overhealing” when activated. You could get behind a pillar and heal yourself to have it transfered to your most wounded allies.

7 Healing with ghost wolf is bad playstyle and neither side of it enjoys.

All in all i like resto’s play style. If it’s in a bad place atm both in pve and pvp. It’s becouse other specs gained a lot of good stuff without any drawback. If they were nerfed instead of buffing shamans. It would be better imo.

• Elemental

Game has changed a lot into fast combat and instant spells especially for caster classes. Which was “signature” thing of shamans (i remember reading it on original vanilla wow’s guide). Instant damaging spells were RARE and we had it every 6 seconds. If it was possible i’d say reduce numbers of instants. However i dont think combat pace will be decreased so i wont comment on it.

Since elemental is in a good place in meters and it does have utility in mythics and is ranged class it doesnt have much to complain.

1 Hex cooldown hurts elemental as much as other specs. 30 seconds is a little too long. Under name of “homogenization” our spells were given to other classes remorselessly but when we received something it always came with drawbacks. Hence, hex.

2 Stormkeeper is good playstyle. Having burst with instants very much fits the shaman bill.

3 Pets. Feels like elemental is becoming a pet spec. I dont really like pets even tho it makes sense that elemental has elemental pets^^. This is just my opinion but i just dont like to to see them around too much. Having them as mount is awesome tho.

4 Overload. Having abilities cast twice was cool with a slower combat pace. But now since we already have a lot of damage sources in short times with all classes across the game things like this stops being cool. Maybe overload could be a bigger version of spells with slightly different animation (would look cool imo). Having too much numbers splash on screen makes them impossible to track and takes the satisfaction away. I think people dont talk about this enough but it impacts more than we realize. Seeing 1 big number on screen is better than seeing 2 small numbers (duh).

5 Lasso is awesome. Unique. Very good filler when u got unlucky with procs. Casting flameshock before using it mostly enables you to lava burst instantly as it finishes. Just satisfacting playstyle. I dont know why enhancement can’t have it. Even if it deals lower damage, it’s good to have a stun.

6 Ascendance could be casting while walking for elemental shamans. But again, not giving it a damage increase is crucial. Let us use it as utility please.

Developers dont want suggestions. They want to hear what we like and dont like so these are some of the things i had to say about the class. I feel like this is the time to say them. I know no one with power to change anything will read it. Also probably no one will read it since it’s a thick wall of text… but to be able to sleep at night i have say to myself i did what i could.

Thanks for reading (if you did!)

3 Likes

as soon as they started focusing on “fantasy and astethics” class DESIGN got demoted to the back row. so, honestly they should make classes fun and nice to play > class fantasy.

what makes you think they care? :smiley:
no one wanted maelstrom and no one wanted to change the gameplay from wotlk in the first place, but yet they ignored small suggestions that would improve (a little more survivability for example) and just wrecked havoc

I disagree with pretty much everything.

Some totems should return, no dps rotation totems like searing totem should ever be brought back, they are bad, objectively.

I am more than fine with utility totems and windfury totem, but no strength or earth or things like that that slow the rotation to a halt whenever you move, and make the set up way too long.

I do not want a slow spec, so maelstrom should stay, the proc reset also, i am fine with 2 h, but they need to do a very good job at balancing which is not easy and highly unlikely.

Don’t mean it’s perfect, like all classes many things should be baseline, but i would not enjoy something like tbc vanilla etc shaman again, i like the fast playstile with resets and all.

Shocks could help to bring some burst, into enchancement, like after a few stormbringers, you get earth shock, or something like that.

And also some defensives.

1 Like

No at the moment it is spec design and spec fantasy not class fantasy.

All spells to the entire class please like og talent trees and let you customize

bringing back ‘class’ to all specs of shaman
• Water shield, earth shield, lightning shield baseline. iconic spells
• Flame, frost, earth shock to all specs
bulwark totem! why did you have to remove that!
elemental blast is such a unique looking spell - it should be baseline for the spec
•increase the cap of targets for chain lightning like it used to be!

before we had maelstrom the spec wasn’t slow either. We had some many things to do, because we actually had utility and were gcd capped mostly anyways

Stopped reading after No Stun/CC/Hex…I do agree, baseline Earth Shield…would even suggest bringing back Water Shield…Ancestral Guidance for reso bring it back as fast as possible…

2 hand not stupid bet mop was the expansion you started wow and got no idea wtf your talking about so please shut ur mouth ni inte is insterested in your lame opinion

1 Like

WE all know wotlk was the pvp pinnacle. i miss arena tournaemnt man, it was so fun to play resto sham, affl lock (i know lame) Xd

What i meant is not a spec like bc or vanilla, i think i specified it also.

Mop and draenor iterations had their problems also, especially mop, fast is different from cluttered, mop rotation was cluttered, and searing totem was trash.

but especially the stormstrike reset makes this spec completely garbage.
If you give stormstrike too much dmg and you have many resets in a row, it gets ridiculous, if you have no procs, you do nothing.
you can keep the reset and give it an inner cd of 10s but give stormstrike dmg back PLEASE
nothing from enhance hits hards.
The biggest hits I get is from sundering with 2 fire wolves up and then its also only 80k…

Well i disagree.

Stormstike hit is pretty strong, and i prefer a faster spec that revolves around stormstrike and lava lash.

Maybe add back earth shock, as an ability that you use once you fill certain requirements and does a lot of burst damage.