[A-Event] Kaldorei Pankration

Darnassian posters in Night Elf settlements invite people to come together in Feathermoon for a night of Pankration, a night elven sparring sport.

Date: 4th June 2020
Time: 20:00 Game Time
Argent Archives: https://www.argentarchives.org/node/241873

‘The Pankration is a Night Elven sparring and athletic practice adopted by various groups during the Long Vigil as a way of exercising, having fun, and keeping the warrior traditions of the Kaldorei alive.’

Event details:

The purpose of the sparring event is to help people roleplaying night elf characters come together and connect outside bigger events. The language of the event is primarily Darnassian, though should also worgen be in attendance, then the use of Common is recommended.

Credits to Thornroot who originally wrote this headcanon sport for his guild and welcomed other night elf roleplayers to use it too! The original Pankration page by Thornroot: https://www.argentarchives.org/node/170489

The Pankration is a Night Elven sparring and athletic practice adopted by various groups during the Long Vigil as a way of exercising, having fun, and keeping the warrior traditions of the Kaldorei alive during peace time.

Based on a blend of boxing and wrestling, Pankration matches can appear to outsiders as having no rules at all. There is also much variation between versions of the sport and the context in which it is practiced - sometimes weapons are involved, sometimes not, and the criteria for winning varies between practitioners and events. Unifying them all is an emphasis on ferocity and agility and un-armoured combat.

The game consists of a contest of strength and skill centred on grapples, throws, locks, and kicks, until one combatant yields. Sometimes a blade is involved - a simple knife or 3-bladed glaive - placed in the centre of the field for combatants to fight over; in these cases the game usually ends when first blood is drawn. There are no hard rules banning certain moves or tricks but gratuitous violence is frowned upon and any competitors not respecting their opponents or the spirit of the game bring dishonour on themselves in the eyes of the Kaldorei. Magic of any kind is not allowed.

Combatants compete in varying states of undress, wearing anything from loosely fitting cloths and hides to simple loincloths. They only weapons allowed in the Pankration are those placed there as part of the game - in matches with blades some form of bracers as wrist protection are always worn.

Matches are presided over by a referee and combatants are usually segregated by gender. Pankration between Night Elf women are considered the most skilled and ferocious and are often more bloody than matches between their male counterparts. The referee’s role is to split up fights that go too far and ensure competitors respect each other properly throughout the event.

Due to its emphasis on ferocity and agility Pankration events are popular around festivals dedicated to Goldrinn, the Wolf Ancient. During these the referee will usually be a Druid and will bless combatants before they begin and dedicate the fight in the Ancient’s honour.

Rules

1 x Open Space

2 x Combatants (lightly armoured, matched by gender. In cross-racial contests size categories are considered)

Optional: A dagger or 3-bladed glaive

Fighters take up positions at either end of the open space and the weapon, if being used, is placed by the referee equidistant between them.

Combat begins after the referee has explained the parameters of the contest (what armour, what weapons, yield vs first blood, etc) and announced they may begin. Combatants can then attack as they see fit.

Free emotes are used to represent the cut-and-thrust of combat, with a system of consecutive rolls determining the winner. Each time contact is made (a hold attempted, a hit launched, control of the blade challenged) both combatants roll; the winner of the roll comes out on top as a result of the exchange and emotes accordingly. Repeat until one competitor yields willingly or until one combatant wins 3 consecutive rolls.

Skilled competitors make the best use of their environment and their opponents weaknesses, and the bloodiest no-holds-barred games can leave combatants with broken or dislocated bones and deep cuts. Variations in weapons put down can lead to a host of different tactics; fights without a blade can look very different to a fight around a dagger, which itself will look very different to a fight around a glaive. Some variations of the game - found mostly between Sentinels - equip combatants with light armour and a short bow, placing a single arrow on the ground between them. What ensues is a fast-paced contest of skill and ingenuity and spectacular feats of close-quarters archery.

21 Likes

And once again you have my interest.

4 Likes

Sounds great; I doubt I’ll join any of the contests, but I’ll definitely look to attend and watch elves beat lumps out of each other.

:eyes:

5 Likes

The rainforest isn’t the only hot thing this time of year
(Dw Hidani will tell people to cover unfair distractions)

4 Likes

https://www.argentarchives.org/node/241873

https://www.argentarchives.org/node/170489

And here’s Acrona, never stopping to contribute wonderful events to the community.
Time to show off the Owls again. :owl:

6 Likes

Oop - I always liked the events when Thornroot held them so I’ll try to be there this time around as well!

2 Likes

Some good fighting?!? Wish I was a night elf…

3 Likes

Another epic event hosted by our amazing Acrona? EPIC!

I shall be there to kick someone’s butt ic.

Square up bros.

3 Likes

This is my first time hosting something like this so fingers crossed that it will be fun! If there’ll be many people interested in participating I think it’d be a good idea to have a few matches happening at the same time.

5 Likes

Reminder that his event happens TONIGHT, 8 PM! Looking forward to see everyone there, more than welcome to!

3 Likes

Tonight was fun roleplay all around! Thanks for hosting and Acrona, and everyone in attendance for contributing to a delightful evening!

2 Likes

Tonight was fun - thanks for hosting! I might not have interacted with many people, but it was enjoyable to referee and spectate battles from a close distance.

3 Likes

Loved the opportunity to watch Glaedr get clowned by a younger elf – thanks for hosting, it was very good fun. I hope you’ll do another in the future. :weary:

Feedback from me is that it might be smoother to have competitors sign up beforehand, and enforce further distance between each bout – just so the chat box doesn’t fill up too much.

3 Likes

Thank you for hosting this Acrona! Your efforts to bring the community together is truly appreciated. :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone who attended! It was really nice to see so many people interacting with each other since this type of event relies entirely on attendees entertaining each other. Cheers everyone who took part in the matches and all whose characters volunteered as additional referees!

Thanks for the feedback Loras! I have a hunch that many would still seek to join in spontaneously on the spot and I like to give people the opportunity to choose and accept their own opponent hoping that it increases the chances of people having an enjoyable emote fight with one another / an encounter with a character they find interesting. That said your idea isn’t a bad one, something to think about!

I definitely agree with you about having bigger distances between each bout in the future, thanks for pointing that out!

If anyone else has any feedback please don’t hesitate to give it to improve the event for the future!

Thanks for sharing the screenshot album Kump! :first_quarter_moon_with_face: You beat me to it.

Edit: Also note to myself, have both compatants share their name with the referee so that the referee can declare the victor out loud when the match is over.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.