[A] If you are STILL looking for a small, friendly community

… well, there are like 2,000 of those around, so you’re in luck!
However, since you already made the effort to click on this link, I might as well tell you a few things about us!

Hey Community Recruitment forum, how have you been?
We haven’t seen each other for a bit. What’s new?

Did someone got married?
Produced a new set of children?
Fixed their sleep schedule?
Yeah, yeah…? Me neither.

I see that confused glare in your eyes, you’re wondering, who the hell is this dude and how come he knows my sleep schedule was rough lately.

Name is Ionis.
Periodically I post stuff here, trying to recruit victims into a gaming community I’m a part of. My last post here from 2019 is still in the top 10 All-Time posts on this forum. And despite it being updated at the beginning of Shadowlands, methinks it is a good time to write something fresh-ish.

If you want to read the original post (for reference) here you go: [A] If you're looking for a small, friendly community [Updated for Shadowlands!]

Right, enough of silly intros.

I’m here to represent Pax Community, a small community of 30-somethings trying to play the game. Focus here on “trying”.
Most of us got some real-life going on, work, kids… yadda-yadda, all the regular excuses people have to suck at videogames. And we sort of suck too – so if you’re looking for a pro-gamer community full of hyper skilled players, we’re not a place for you.
Saying that some of us push ourselves and try to squeeze the last DPS out of their characters. But overall? Yeah, we’re pretty casual.

We are also very voice chat-oriented (via Discord!) bunch of people - which remains our main form of communication. We are PvE focused , doing mostly M+ dungeons during the week and dabbling with casual raiding on Saturdays.

So, small community, huh? How small?
First of all… whatever my ex told you… size doesn’t matter, okay?
Second: We have around 11-13 people hovering around, with 4-6 available on most evenings.
Do not plan to expand the group beyond 18-20 people - the idea is to comfortably raid, even with few people being unavailable given week. Oh, btw, our regular raiding time is Saturday, starting 7:30 Server Time.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

What we’re looking for in potential members of the community?

• Social attitude (you can be shy and introverted, no one will force you to talk all the time. Still, some desire for human interaction is required). No one is going to chase you around asking if you want to run something all the time. You want to play with us? Show up, jump on Discord, say “hi”. When we’re organising a run, get involved, people will be thrilled to play with someone new.
  • Age. I’m hesitant to put any specific age restrictions, as over the years I’ve met levelheaded teenagers and 40-something manchildren. Instead, I simply ask for emotional maturity (saying that, some of us tend to have a sense of humour that is really, really disturbing at times. It’s all about recognising when it is and isn’t time to talk about Armageddon!)
  • Interest in the end-game content. Yeah, we’re not doing many transmog runs, achievement runs or whatever else the game has to offer. If someone wants to organise some old-raid event, they’re more than welcome! It just isn’t something we’re focusing on.
    You don’t need to know much about WoW’s current endgame content to join. What is needed is desire to learn.
    The gear itself, in the long run, isn’t as important. Heck, by the end of this season, I’ll probably have 3 different characters with +M 15 gear. You’ll have plenty of time to catch up too.
  • Desire to belong somewhere. Okay, this is going to be a little more serious than the rest of this post. The sense of togetherness and comradery is something that always fascinated me in online games. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and all that. Over the years we saw the decline of a guild-oriented focus in WoW. For better or worse people are used to pugging with strangers.
    And many expect to do that exclusively.
    When I see relatively new players running into the toxic pugs and getting traumatised by the experience, I cry a little on the inside.
  • We don’t expect you to be the end-all-be-all player the day you join, frankly, if you’re that type of person, you’ll probably find us much too casual.
    Over the years we trained a few people from absolute noobsticks to somewhat effective raiders (some of us used to be pretty darn good too if I can say so myself. No. Not me, because I insist on playing sub-optimal classes for the last 14 years… apparently.)

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Things that will not be tolerated:
While we do share various insulting remarks now and again - it is understandably all in jest. People who are openly hostile towards one another are not tolerated and will be removed.

Sexual Harassment:
Well, guess nowadays a paragraph about that is needed…
I generally don’t police people’s private interactions - never really had to, to be honest - but to have this clearly stated: being obnoxious towards your fellow players in that regard will not be tolerated either. Make screenshots. Let me know. We’ll deal with it.

If you really can’t stop yourself from posting sexually charged messages hit on me! I’m always open to unsolicited romantic inquiries! I love long walks on the beach, sunsets and world hunger. Call me~ <3

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

While we’re going through difficult topics, I should probably tell you; writing those “join my community” messages was always hard for me. Presenting strangers with a sales pitch never stopped feeling disingenuous. I don’t like it. I’m not good at it. And while technically the person in charge of the community, I rarely feel like it either.
I’m just a guy who plays games with people I know for a long time.

We’re not perfect, we can’t coordinate our interrupts, “forget” to sign up for raids - even when we plan to show up anyway and despite half of us being altoholics, we cannot balance our group - it is always too many melee DPS or too few. We’re just people with better and worse days, families, jobs and pets.
And I have no idea how I can make a real sales pitch out of it.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Right, I’m almost done.
As you can see, this isn’t your normal “join my guild/community advertisement” because I don’t see us as a regular guild/community. We’re a bunch of friends to happen to play WoW at this point in time (we’ve played other games before and will again, like L4D2, Borderlands series, Don’t Starve Together or Civ4 among others) and look for some new friends to hang out with.

I am also contractually obligated to forward the following message:

We’re good on tanks. In a group of ~12 people we have 5 tanks. If you’re looking for tanks in LFG, wondering where they are, we got 'em. Sorry.
We also have 4 people capable of playing healers, but we wouldn’t mind one more.
What we’re actually lacking are dedicated DPS players - A Mage, Warrior or a SPriest would be great to have around, but we’ll accept any and all DPS [even Feral Druids, they’re not as bad anyway!].

Want to send me some hate mail? You can reach me using:
battlenet: Ionis#2574 (usually around in the evenings)
discord: Ionis#8876 (you can reach me here for most of the day but my reply speed may vary, even on weekends)
(Oh, and it’s “I” like Iron, not “l” like lead… I do flip put when people call me Lonis…)

(oh, and we also played Stardew Valley for a while… against my will… Robin is the best waifu kthxbye)

2 Likes

Hi I am looking for a guild/community that operates as your post suggests. I’m at work now but will be on later tonight would be cool to message / chat with someone :sunglasses: