A kind of unusal crash error message. Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION. I'm out of ideas on what to do

Hello!

After opening a ticket with blizzard and just got the standard reply to ask in the forums that is what I’m doing now.

I have a technical problem which I think is weird.

It first appeared I believe 1 week ago after I downloaded DF PTR 10.2.5.
The thing is that regardless if it is the live version of wow or the ptr build it keeps crashing after a few minutes. I would say around 5 minutes or so.

The weird thing is that some of the times i get no error message or anything. Just a standard window asking me what happened. And some of the times i get a error message. And the times I get the error message it’s always been the same, regardless of which wow version it is that’s crashing.

Message below:

Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at
“0x0000000000000000” referenced memory at
“0x0000000000000000”,
The memory could not be “executed”.
ProccessID: 8248
ThreadID: 14392

I might have gotten 1, or maybe 2 zeros wrong. (It’s really difficult to count zeros that’s in a row) but im certain they we’re all zeros. I do have screenshots as well.

The thing I find weird, or even alarming is that it’s referencing something with what i presume is 0 bytes (?). I’m not completely lost when it comes to computers but I’m not savvy either.
I’m guessing, but just only guessing this has something to do with RAM usage?

I did find other topics on the forum with the same Access_Violation crash but not one with the all zeros in the instruction and reference memory spots, which is why I’m making this post.

When I contacted blizzard support I also attached a msinfo and a dxdiag file which I’m guessing the haven’t even opened since I don’t see what useful info they would get out of them. I would attach them here as well If i knew how to…

So far in my own troubleshooting I’ve tried the following:

• Resetting the wow UI
  • Verified game files
  • Lowered in-game settings
  • Disabled add-ons
  • Leaving add-ons on
  • Reinstalling the game
  • Running in compability mode for windows 7
  • Running in compability mode for windows 8
  • Running as administrator
  • Limiting wow.exe to read-only

I’m out of ideas and got nothing left to try than asking here on the forums. The support from blizzard answering my ticket asked me to consider contacting a local tech expert, which I’m not gonna do. If all else fails I’m just not gonna play anymore.

Thanks in advance. I’m open to even the most far fetched solutions. :grinning:

I just had two crashes, one after the other. This is unusual for me, normally everything runs smoothly. This is part of the crash report of one of these crashes located in the Errors subfolder:

==============================================================================
Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at “0x0000000000000000” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000000”.
ProcessID: 16172
ThreadID: 7972

<Exception.IssueType> Exception
Security Crash
Exception.Summary:
ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at “0x0000000000000000” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000000”.
(DBG-OPTIONS SECURITY-CODE<200> DBG-OPTIONS<>)
<:Exception.Summary>
Exception.Assertion:
DBG-ADDR<0000000000000000>(“”)
DBG-ADDR<00007ff78b31ccbe>(“Wow.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<00007ff78b318a61>(“Wow.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<00007ff78b30ab11>(“Wow.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<00007ff78b3081ea>(“Wow.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<00007ff78b3081b3>(“Wow.exe”)
<:Exception.Assertion>
Exception.HashBlock:
DBG-OPTIONS
ERROR #138
SECURITY-CODE<200>
DBG-OPTIONS<>
<:Exception.HashBlock>
No
<Jira.JiraProjectId> 11503
<Jira.JiraProjectKey> WOW10
<Exception.ProjectId> 10

<Exception.BuildNumber> 53913
<Exception.Branch> 10.2.6
<Exception.WowProject> Mainline
World of Warcraft
Client

Sorry for the weird formatting. I didn’t realize this forum had some form of markdown support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.