[A/N RP] The Rowdy Sparrows - Dear Old Blighty

The Rowdy Sparrows are recruiting again!
Current Location: Menethil Harbour, Wetlands

Testimonials:

“The Rowdy Sparrows, huh? Bunch of loudmouth idiots if you ask me! I mean, sure, they thwarted my scheme to dress as Hogger and terrorise Lakeshire, but they also caused hundreds of gold worth of damages when that Ettin came rampaging through my camp! They practically did my job for me. Bunch of uncouth vandals, but indeed, they certainly got the job done.

Hell, I might even hire them to break me out of the Stockade when you throw me in there. For the right coin, I reckon a bunch of ne’er-do-wells like them will change allegiances at the drop of a hat!”

- Stanton Cree, Magi formerly of the Lakeshire town council. Year 34.

“The Rowdy Sparrows? They are like… paramilitary toddlers with alcohol dependency. They are kind, loyal, brave, but do have a tendency to bite each other. I have learned much in my travels with them and been involved in many traditional human culture experiences, such as tavern brawls.”

- Kuurin of the Light, Draenei Vindicator. Year 34.

OOC Information:

The Rowdy Sparrows are a mercenary crew who travel the world taking on contracts that would be deemed suicidal by most right-minded adventurers. They are not afraid to get their hands dirty in search of their next payday, and almost seem to revel in the constant danger such a lifestyle brings with it.

We tend to lean more toward light-hearted RP, with an emphasis on simple enjoyment and good times as opposed to adhering to a strict rank system and internal politics. That is fine for most guilds, but we are a group of friends who enjoy embracing the sillier aspects of the Warcraft setting! That is not to say we do not have serious roleplaying or in-depth plots, but do expect to see colourful outfits and larger than life characters here.

If that sounds like it is your jam, feel free to give us a shout!

Rules:

• Don’t be that guy. A lot of us play “in your face” characters, but if you are going to do so have the sense to know when you’re just being obnoxious to other people and know when to back off.

• No ERP. Zero tolerance policy on this. This is a 12+ game and it has no place anywhere on the server.

Recruitment Contacts:

• Laurae
  • Dunton
  • Elralyn

We hope to hear from you! :smiley:

14 Likes

Oh my. (In ten characters)

2 Likes

Today’s Dresscode: Pirates.

3 Likes

Good to see you back , Nithsethel won’t be able to sign up again as she is currently serving a lengthy service in the Twelfth Penal Company for crimes she claims she didn’t commit or at least if she did they were by accident.

3 Likes

Could you elaborate more on what you find obnoxious behaviour?

I remember witnessing an incident very recently in Redridge which involved:

• Bursting in shouting, demanding someone fight you
  • Upon being denied the unprompted fight, insults started to fly
  • Then after a sudden shift in attitude you asked for healing, which upon being denied due to previous conduct result in:
  • Attempting to smash a bottle over someone’s head out of the blue and
  • Sneezing and wiping blood from your broken nose on someone’s cloak

So for the sake of posterity, where would you say the line is drawn, given your rule is to promote better conduct from your people rather than drive others away due to obnoxious and off-putting behaviour?

8 Likes

Alright then, let’s get into defending IC actions OOC.

Bursting in shouting, demanding someone fight you

Shouting IC isn’t obnoxious. It’s a very realistic thing to do, in fact. We are loud. The tavern in question has an underground fighting ring beneath it, and one of our members was looking for a challenger, yes. We ended up brawling beneath the tavern, as was our intention originally, but he was asking someone from another guild to join him. We didn’t try to pressgang you into it.

Upon being denied the unprompted fight, insults started to fly

In character insults, which were met with insults in return. We don’t all roleplay well disciplined soldiers or nobles. What’s the problem with a bit of IC insulting?

When after a sudden shift in attitude you asked for healing

Yes, one of us had been poked in the eye by a giant bird. We asked for healing.

Attempting to smash a bottle over someone’s head out of the blue

Yes, “Attempting”. You dodged it. That was fine. If you had fought back we would have promptly lost the encounter as there were four of us and ten or so of you.

Sneezing and wiping blood from your broken nose on someone’s cloak

In response to being passive aggressively insulted. Which I took In Character, as should you with my character’s response.

In summary, I’m sorry we tried to interact with you. When it was clear you were not interested in such we moved downstairs and left you alone.

What exactly is the problem here?

7 Likes

Shouting, throwing some insults, et cetera in of themselves in a vacuum aren’t entirely that bad of a thing but when you pile everything that happened together it does start to give a bit of a :grimacing: impression over all, more so when there’s an actual rule in place within the guild to avoid obnoxious IC behaviour making you “that guy” that everyone talks about.

Because behaviour like that does turn other guilds and people off from interacting with you as we very well saw, and if the point of the rule is to make your people behave better (is it a common enough thing that it required a rule to be made for or what?) for the sake of interactions with others, you would think then that rule ought to be enforced in practice too.

Full disclosure, I’m not particularly insulted or bothered about the thing OOC. Live and let live, etc. But seeing the guild with a rule prohibiting being the obnoxious “that guy” and then seeing the guild act as the obnoxious “that guy” all the same makes me wonder a little.

3 Likes

Our characters behave obnoxiously and bizarrely because that is the type of people they are. You are going to find a broad spectrum of personalities in RP but the important thing to remember is that you shouldn’t take it to heart or bring IC into OOC.

From what I saw, there was an immediate clash in theme and tone of RP. I know what kind of angle the men in brown crew were going for and that’s fine, but not everyone is going to share their background or mindset. We could have had fun playing off the contrast created between these two groups of people, but instead it felt like the other group took it personally.

9 Likes

That’s the line we draw. We knew when to stop. We’re not a disciplined guild, so our characters are rowdy. Hence the name. That rule is in place because there’s a line between roleplaying an obnoxious character and just being a troll, disrupting RP. What we did wasn’t disruptive, but it would have been if we had pressed the issue and trampled all over your roleplay.

That said, we clearly agree to disagree. This is a guild topic. Would you mind bringing your issue to me in private if you are bothered by it, so that we can serve our actual purpose with this advert? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

OOC I found them all a great bunch of people and yes the guild IC is about a bunch of rowdy mercenaries who don’t always behave well and are probably not the company you want turning up for tea and cakes. If you want to be in a guild of rowdy mercenaries out to get rich and have fun along the way I would recommend them.

7 Likes

It feels good to be back! Folks can expect glitter, glam, shows and fortune - Not to mention regular updates and IC ramblings.

1 Like

Diversity, the word that can perfectly describe us. A jolly lot with misunderstood, but nevertheless compelling interaction. At the end of the day we’re all here to befriend new people, roleplay and have an absolute blast in the process.

2 Likes

Seem like a nice bunch, wish you all the best!

1 Like

Looks into the camera like he’s on the office.

… oh no they’re alive.

1 Like

I know it says I am in a guild, but I am not. Would love to return to the not-at-all reformed sparrows!

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQOxZQjQXw

I have a feeling something bad just happened…

Jk, it’s good to have this bunch of crazies back, and I hope you are here to stay this time!

2 Likes

Thanks for the support, guys. Super happy to be back! :smiley: We’re having a small celebration in Booty Bay at 8 ST tonight, if anyone is in the area and fancies coming to say hi! I promise we won’t be too violent.

4 Likes

We are the Rowdiest Around! The Rowdy Sparrows Woooo! But seriously, its nice to be back in action and yes thank you all for your Support! It means a lot! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I met Laurae during my time with the Free Companions… And it was something. (Namely the object of many frustrated journal entries.)

As promised by her guild name “Rowdy Sparrow”, she plays a character that is not only provocative but also unpredictable.

Those are two traits I can highly appreciate in any character. She served as a catalyst for me IC and OOC and provided plenty of tension whilst traveling the vanilla world. Those agitated journal entries of Duke’s always found a constructive resolution when she was involved. She is a role-player that turns negative interactions into positive ones, uninteresting situations into noteworthy events, and anyone that can do that deserves praise in my book, so…

If you are looking for a “safe” conversation, or role-play that doesn’t challenge you, I don’t recommend the Sparrows. If you are looking for role-playing that encourages you to let your guard down, take risks, and feel rewarded for it, then this’ the type of guild and the sort of people you should be hanging around with. She supports you, but she tries you, and I can only assume the rest of the guild do too.

I wish this guild all the best and I was humbled to interact /w them when I have. If I wasn’t headed abroad soon, I’d have wholeheartedly signed up to be tried and tested by this group of people. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Owl mom is here <3

3 Likes