[A-RP] [Small Campaign] The Inferno

Prophecy of Ganamede

“Astray in the beginning, seed of hate born, The light in the East, bright and torn. Unity fought by all, shapeless and foul; sidled lifespan, a bargain’s refrain. Eternal struggle of truth inherent, yet agaze. The sky darkened. End of days.

In that grim hour of a nation’s descent, a noble soul wept again; Of bygone times, a passed Era. Chiming hells of an ancient terror, inside his mind, it festered. Rot of sanity, failure renewed - the release, it blessed him. He became the flame, conqueror of death.

The world, bathed in flame. A reign of peace, hailing that name. Savior of liars, thieves and killers; God of falsehoods, knowing no equal. Blind stare for the world that burned, a fair trade - one for all. The sole witness, an Inferno’s abode.

It beckoned them closer, lords of the deep; moths to the flame, they could not resist. A quiet feast of a crying world - it faded, to the cold dark beyond. Hope extinguished, life was no more. End of days, the cycle reborn.”

Introduction

The grim truth of prophets and their incoherent rambling is the fact that the horror in those falsehoods may eventually warp the rational mind, transforming it into a weapon of a nightmare’s design - a catalyst to complete a prophecy’s dark tidings.

These prophecies are discernibly malicious, as once an individual is wrapped to the resilient web of this carnivorous amalgamation, there is no way out. No light at the end of the tunnel. No salvation.

The Void offers thousandfold opportunities to reclaim what was once lost - the High Home, family, friends and loved ones. In Azeroth’s hour of reckoning, when the tides of War ebb and flow, even among these half-truths hide rare chances to grasp greatness, because Knowledge is power. But above all else, a leverage against the encroaching whispers. Yet, bear too much, and you’ll wish you knew less.

The Ren’dorei are not unfamiliar to the concept of balance, yet they dance endlessly with the forces of unmaking. It may be for this reason that in seemingly unrelated times to the greater conflict of light and shadow the children of the abyss find themselves at the precipice of such a web, whose progenitor dates thousands of years into the past.

In his time, they called him Ganamede. The elven sage held many titles. Now, he has no name. His home is a few feet below tainted soil, adorned by an unmarked grave. His legacy was condemned to wither away, as none alive bear witness to his feats, yet each passing hour Azeroth’s bleeding crust accelerates in it’s decay, plunging the world closer to the brink of destruction as a raging calamity - byproduct of war’s collateral damage - wreaks havoc, indiscriminate of friend or foe, Horde or the Alliance. Whether it is by an ironic twist of fate or the machinations of the former sage, it is through this conflict that part of his legacy has resurfaced.

The Church of the Holy Light, having recovered the artifact from a twisted sacellum, wish not to meddle with its destiny; mysteriously, all accountations of such an item have been erased from their records. The Alliance is occupied in securing the victory in a conflict that decides Azeroth’s future, blissfully ignorant. A somber cry has sidled past both.

It befalls, once again, on the silent guardians of the realm to answer this call for duty.

Salutations! This entire post is a delayed follow-up on a short post in the Void Elf Community Discord. Short and sweet, the intention is to create a mysterious plot that involves a cornerstone of many fantasy books - a prophecy. Unfortunately, a story - especially one utilizing WoW’s setting - requires more than the mystery that is laid out to both the heroes and the villains in the form of a prophecy to function.

Often it is the “Chosen One” that is the main protagonist in a chosen story that interacts uniquely with the villain(s) through the prophecy, but as a plot device of this caliber is imported into a roleplay setting where each person roleplays their “Chosen One”, it’d be extremely unfair to lay down such a mantle upon a single individual. As such, I’ve attempted to create something in which groups of people can partake in, each feeling that they’re meaningful, that they are actually contributing to something!

The relic in question, fragmented and mysterious, acts as a conduit for everyone’s efforts. In layman’s terms, it is a treasure hunt, except you’re hunting pieces of an extremely dangerous artifact with nothing but the word of a scholar and the prophecy as your guide.

Such a flexible concept allows people roleplaying different things to come together, some characters perhaps wish to see the world swallowed by the Void! Great, maybe you can turn the tide as the kindred remains of Ganamede’s artifact are reunited.

Or perhaps your character acts out of duty, to one day live in peace and without fear!

Whatever your character represents, if they are able to act with believable conduct (In RP-terms) they will be taken most seriously. This post is aimed at the Ren’dorei in specific, as they fall neatly into the fold of such a plot, but everyone is most welcome!

Now, into the good stuff.

Concept

The adventure will begin simple - a scheduled day for an event that kicks everything into a motion. Your character is either directly called / has heard in the places that scholars inhabit of a strange request. It could be described as a desperate plea, from a Quel’dorei man who is in the possession of a certain item. Details are vague, everything is clouded in speculation. You know nothing, as you step into the unknown. After the event’s completion, I will officially begin writing a schedule - from that point onward, things are open-ended. I will DM for groups of people or individuals, depending on the outcome of the very first event, most likely will upkeep a discord with updating information that characters could be able to acquire - and with that, they can write stories, expand on what I’ve began. A spark to grow into a wildfire.

It is similar to a server campaign in structure, but hopefully not in size (I’m sweating). Periodically, everyone involved in the effort will recall to the starting point to inform their fellow of their experiences, or better yet, relieve themselves of an artifact’s piece for safekeeping. New threats will rise, as a machine once kicked into motion will not stop.

Everything will end in a climax that embodies what I wish to accomplish with this. Unity of roleplay, but without forcing it. That’s the concept, a large undertaking I will admit, but hopefully one of the more memorable ones in the end.

Dates & Other Information

The very first event will be taking place 4th of May, which happens to be Saturday, 20:00 REALM TIME.

IC LOCATION: IRONFORGE, FORLORN CAVERN

Discord link is up! All the important IC bits & pieces will be posted there, consider it a temporary forum for the duration of the campaign!

discord.gg/JXBYXvX ( Add the https before “discord” manually! Link will never expire. )

I thank you for taking your time to read this, it means the world to me. If you’ve any questions, thoughts, you can reply directly in the thread and I will get back to you once I am able to.

• Valodriel
21 Likes

This sounds awesome, wish you all the luck and success :pray:t3: how much activity do you assume is required? checks calendar

Also, how do I find the Void elf discord? I feel like the only person on this realm that haven’t gotten the “thing” with discord yet :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words. To answer your question perfectly I would have to know the exact amount of people that share interest on the topic in question AND are willing to leverage this interest into actual participation. If things stay small, DMing and subsequently RP would be more focused in nature; this would mean that the time invested would remain relatively equal to the amount of time required to participate in the “campaigns” larger counterpart, which would be utilized if participation was large instead of small.

Of course, a singular person (which I took the liberty of assuming you are) would receive more attention and juicy story in the case of lower participation. I can’t say directly any numbers as they are still W.I.P due to the nature of the project and it’s current status, but I’d imagine a few times a week would be more than enough for the smaller scale. Larger scale thins out the more personalized bits for individual people especially, so most of the “required” participation would be for the big events themselves - every few weeks, I’d wager. Or perhaps once every week. Either way, it isn’t a humongous amount!

As for the discord, I think it precisely reflects the state of Void Elf RP, occasionally dead with interesting bits and buzz taking place every now and then. Discord is a fantastic forum in itself, so I’d advice to at least try to “get into it” - I know my head was turned once I swapped from Skype to Discord, which was ages ago. I couldn’t go back once I had managed to get a grip of Discord. end sales speech

Hopefully those answer some of your questions!

2 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed reply :slight_smile: This idea should spark some character’s interest

Hm I see, I think I have to check Discord out a bit
:pray:t3:

1 Like

A void elf event/campaign is a good idea, I think. Right now, to me, void elves are… “just there”. They tend to be minding their own business IC.

Something that defines them more is a good thing, imho.

1 Like

Here is the invite link to the Void Elf community discord just add the https before - discord.gg/aQ58qgv

And best of luck with this, Valodriél!

2 Likes

Good luck with this. :+1: People should be encouraged to put themselves out there. I hope it’s fun for you and your community.

2 Likes

With the void coming closer to this expansion, bet you’ll be able to make a lot of roleplayers happy with this campaign. It will feel like we’re progressing the main story with our characters, even though we’re still somewhat sidelined. However this campaign looks really fun, the vagueness is very fitting of the Void theme.

I wish you the best of luck with this campaign and hopefully I’ll be able to be part of it! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed. Gentle foreshadowing, perhaps once the plot with the Void unfolds and the heroes tackle that thread we might see something bigger. But for now, this’ll do. As I mentioned in the first post, I’ll welcome everyone with open arms once the gears have kicked into motion; story integrity and logic are my primary concerns, but as the threat is realized and horizons widen, I believe it’ll be most apt to include more than the Ren’dorei in this race.

I’ll update the post in the upcoming days of this month with dates and further plans. Thank you all for the support!

2 Likes

I have updated the original post with more information. Everything will kick into motion 4th of May, 20:00 Realm Time. I’ve been working in setting up a Discord server for the Campaign, once it’s construction finishes I’ll link it in my original post as well.

You have two weeks to prepare yourselves. :sunny:

1 Like

Conclave is on board! For research reasons, of course.

1 Like

This sounds intriguing, I’m quite sure that some party may wish to hire some privateers to assist them if the search takes them to sea.

1 Like

Final updates on things before the campaign. The project began as something for the Ren’dorei community, but since interest is remarkably high (in here and other communities), I’ve made up my mind regarding exclusivity beyond the Ren’dorei until the campaign had progressed into a point after which it would have made sense to include representatives of other subsections in the Alliance. A minor shift in the concept invalidated a suspicious decision from my part to put down an artificial barrier to begin with. Everyone is welcome, as long as they adhere to what I referred in my original post as “believable conduct (IC)”.

I saved the best for last. Discord link is now up in my main post, all the IC bits and pieces will be posted there, including some prelude information as we approach 4th of May. It’ll act as a temporary forum for the duration of the campaign, but I will also maintain the thread, for those who wish to utilize it for their IC adventures or OOC commentary.

Hope to see *all of you there in a few weeks!

4 Likes

Hey hey, I’d love for the Adventurers Coalition to be involved in this in one way or another.

This sounds like exact the sort of thing Suraia usually gets mixed up in despite her best promises to ‘stay out of trouble’… cough

1 Like

Information to those who monitor the Campaign through the forums only:

Tomorrow, Saturday the 4th, the initial event will kick off in Ironforge, and more specifically, the Forlorn Cavern [Open your Map in Ironforge if you’re confused by the name].

I’ve updated the original thread with the location. Hope to see all of you there, I have great hopes for the near future!

P.s

Join the Discord with the link provided in my original post, it currently has a fully fleshed out IC prelude for the Campaign and will be update greatly after tomorrow with all of the information that WON’T BE here in the Forums.

• Valodriel
4 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this.

1 Like

Open to anyone?

1 Like

I think so, come join the Discord for more info about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, I don’t use discord. I’ll send a letter ingame.