[A-RP] Twelfth Penal Company - DISBANDED

Thanks you guys! Appreciate the kind words. :hugs:

Not that we got told before it was too late to go back, but the Twelfth has been shipped off to a warzone. For some of our fresh boys and girls it’s their first deployment ever. So far only one penal soldier has jumped overboard, so all in all, things are going great.

Snapshot - the briefing prior to boarding

https://gyazo.com/850825deeed1b36ba33019106ebf3379

The IC objectives are [Classified - Top Secret] but I can tell you that we’re having a ton of fun mingling with the Kul Tiran Marines, Tideforged Corsairs, Gilded Lions, and the Sha’ur in a rather dangerous and exciting campaign, hosted by Sergeant Seabridge.

The first day has been very suspenseful:

Making landfall

https://gyazo.com/13a9fd5e44b84e4d2ddfe7ead6f7e2d4
https://gyazo.com/d18c08bc4d30e406ea1726ac3457ce22

Now to convince Jaggerhawk that Hollins wasn’t hitting on those draenei…
And to convince Sevestra that he’s not terrified of her…

You two are not making this easy! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

To my dearest sister Duvain

I hope this letter finds you soon Sis.

I am starting to settle in to my new life, although I am finding it hard, when at the garrison it can get very tedious, I mean there is training and drills and duties to be done, but they don’t fill the entire day and when you have some hours to yourself I find it hard to find things to entertain me.

I have spent time down by the river , either sitting and looking across at the hills or trying to catch fish, but it’s not like the view changes and the weather here is often not so good, and there is little fun in sitting out in the rain and cold.

We had a visit from a Captain Hawke who was off duty, she brought a jar of cookies and gave them to me, I also asked her if she ever went to the Darkmoon Faire and if she was passing would she mind getting me a balloon, and she seemed more than happy to do this.

Only later she came and apologised and said some of the others had told her not to as we were not allowed luxuries or it seems fun!, after that I decided to keep the rest of the cookies to myself and stashed them in a secret spot because at least they bring me some comfort.

I am struggling with understanding the human culture and the way they think, they were mocking me and teasing me for wanting a balloon and called me childish, but I don’t see what the problem is. What harm is it to have a balloon which I can enjoy when not on duty.

Maybe they just don’t understand because they have such short lives and have to grow up so quickly, it seems they think fun should end when your still just a few years old and then you have to get all serious.

I am still struggling with the void worshipping woman Eve…. she seems to question everything I do and always wants the last word and to appear to be right in everything she says, I also am worried she is trying to influence others around her and trying to twist them to believe in the same madness as her. She spends lots of time with my friend Terry, and although I know he has his own mind I am concerned she may get to him with her words, she is very good at doing what she does, twisting her beliefs into sounding wonderful and the only way… but how can ending all gods, all life and returning everything to nothingness and the void be good?, sometimes she almost sounds like the very whispers that try and corrupt us from the void and I wonder if it’s actually her speaking or the shadows that have corrupted her.

Again I am running low on ink and candlelight, I will write more again soon, there is talk we are being deployed soon, not sure to where or how long… at least the view will be different.

With all my love

Your sister

Nithsethel X X X

4 Likes

Location, Invasion point.
Date, 6th of the second month.

I´m out of myself… I came here to fight the Horde and end the war in one strike, to get some needed peace for the world, but what happend to night ruined me spirituelly. The Shaur, an order of the Draenei people, with lightforged, committed something today that I cannot forget.

I dident see it happen, I only thought that´d they would kill the men and women and leave the kids for the Horde to take care for, orphans are natural as an outcome of war, but to see a Lightforged, one whom are imbued with the light itself!.. kill an innicont child and starting and out right murdering spree, that… that is something I never wanted to experiance.

I´m a killer, and I admit that I take lifes for the better of my fellow folk, but I´m also a follower of the light, and there is laws, the virtues, we have to follow them to ensure the bettermen of our united people, but how can I believe in such words, when one of the “purest” being slaughters children without remorse?!

I´m angry and bitter about it… but something else have fallen over me, thoughts of endless ideas, how all faiths in no matter what god or deities has such acts done in the name of them. I´ve always thought that the Draenei strived to be better and pure, a prime ideal to strive for, but today it broke that dream of mine of such an ideal.

I can´t have faith insomething that allows this, I can´t have faith in anything, for all faith holds some horrible at as this, without punishing those whom do so in their name.

To the nether with faith, I´ve had enough of being told the kindness and great acts of a god or deity. If I strive to be a better person, it aint gonna be because of some magical ideal or creature, it´s to make sure such ZEALOTS! do not continue such acts.

I wanna cry for those kids, I know it was Zandalari kids… but they were still kids and they deserve better than being killed because of some damn ideals of justice. This war dident cause me my life, or wounded me, this war caused me my faith…

status, lost.

4 Likes

The rain muffles out the soldiers’, all Evelynn can hear is the sound of her shovel hitting the soil. Her hands are shaking and her breathing is shallow, but there’s a job to be done.

There’s an audible crack as the soldier thrusts her shovel down once more. Carefully, she opens her eyes, only to be met with Terry’s split-open face lying in the muddy trench. Her eye widens as she retrieves the shovel, the dull edge dripping with blood.

She stares at the mutilated corpse, her breathing speeding up and growing unstable. She looks around for help, but all she sees is corpses.

Evelynn gasps for air once returning to reality. She looks around herself hastily, only to see that there’s still soldiers standing guard, talking, or sleeping. Whispered swears escape her lips as she scratches her arm, anxiously rocking herself back in forth.

Killing is easy.

Sleeping is hard.

3 Likes

I’ve said it once before I’ll say it again, these bunch are gems in Argent Dawn, can’t support them harder than I already do, they add a real sense of contrast to hardened soldiers, and this post here…proves it. May Terry rest well Salute

2 Likes

Nith sat on her bedroll in camp, the noise of the jungle was all around her, it never seemed to be quiet here, sleeping was hard, the air was damp and hot, and insects constantly seemed to seek to find any exposed skin to feast on.

She sat and watched the comings and goings for a while, not feeling in the mood to really talk to others but content to just think things over to herself.

The combat of earlier had been tense, but she had been in the back rows for most of it, and away from the more intense fighting, at one point she had got separated from the rest of the twelfth but had managed to find them again.

She had mostly laid down covering fire with her arrows, letting them fly high above the front lines and come down into the rear lines of the horde forces, it was a more random way to take out enemies and a waste of arrows as many missed or glanced off helms, but some would find there marks and thin the ranks.

As the horde lines had started to waiver and then break they had started to flee , Nith had switched tactics then, moving to aim at specific targets, there were a lot of trolls, but she had opted instead to target the sin’dorei, she still felt a hatred towards her former kinfolk, the years she lived in Silvermoon, pretending to agree with the regime, pretending she loved being part of the savage horde and seeing them bring Silvermoon down to there own level and infesting the city with forsaken and goblins, trolls and orcs.

Nith glanced at the beautifully crafted elven recurve bow she had taken as a prize, she had spotted the Sin’Dorei that wielded it as she was running from the battle, such a bow must have cost a lot, so Nith thought the Sin Dorei was most likely in a noble house, no doubt one of those nobles that used to look down on her when she attended the fine balls and dances in Silvermoon.

Nith had aimed her own bow at the fleeing elf, placing an arrow neatly through her neck, killing her mid flight, then once the area was clear of Horde she had been able to make her way to the body and claim her prize, she had rolled the elf over with her boot, looking down at the vacant eyes, and whispering to to her “Sorry I killed you, but your bow was nice and I wanted it”

2 Likes

Kaibyrne sat at his desk, illuminated by candlelight he looked at the mound of paperwork that required his limited attention. Reports, requests, inquiries, even letters of protest from disgruntled members of the populace about Convicts breathing fresh air all took a toll on the Captain.

He pushes back from the table with a sigh, his chest began to tighten as his legs felt weightless, sweat pouring down his forehead as if he were melting, his energy being sapped quickly. He knew these symptoms well, he clumsily reached for some paper and quill knocking over the ink pit he began to frantically write out some herbs his writing distorted and messy, barely comprehensible the last few words training off the page as he fell over with a thud, Captain Down.

A few weeks later…

The cold glass pressed against his dry cracked lips as the scent of earth and grass infiltrated his nostrils just as the thick, revolting liquid dragged it’s way down his gaping throat. He knew what it smelt like, what it tasted like, but he never knew what it felt like, not until now. He continued to tip the potion into his mouth, fighting the urge to gag, each swallow is a struggle as he empties the contents of the concoction into his mouth. He discards the bottle, sliding it across the desk as he sits himself up, the strength in his arms returning. His eye lighten, allowing him to keep them open with ease as he looks around the room, the numbing sensation leaves his legs as he wiggles his toes. A queer sound groans from his stomach as he simply breaths, his nose and chest feeling clear as his head for the first time in what felt like a decade his head stopped pounding.

Swinging his leg over the side of the bed he reached for the walking stick that he had requested be left at his bedside, digging it into the floorboards, he leaned on it heavily as his legs almost gave out from under his weight. Shuffling across the room like a newborn calf he swings open his wardrobe, grabbing the bare essentials he struggles to dress himself, leaving the straps looser than normal as he lacked the patience or strength to tie them properly he falls down behind his desk, where he collapsed all those days ago.

He closed his eyes, clutching his pendant, he prays silently for a moment, basking in the serenity until it is interrupted by the sound of marching feet, the sound of soldiers, of Duty…

2 Likes

The drips of water from a jungle leaf kept falling down onto his helmet, each time ringing out as if they were one of the mortars ringing down, BAM, BAM, BAM. His eyes locked onto the bridge ahead of him as he kept guard of any incoming forces.

He couldent sleep, if it was the excitement of war in Zul dazar, or the nightmare of seeing that little boys corpse infront of him. The night was dark and humid with the local critters protesting in the night.

His eyes drifted from shadow to shadow as he held watch over the hostile territory. A few times drifting a glare onto the shiny and golden Lightforged troops.

He looked away over the bridge as he stroked his rifle, his eyes slowly closing as he battle to keep them open, he dont want to sleep, he just cant right now. he rubs his crooked nose abit, as he throws his eyes onto the troll pyramid with the seventh legion struggling to fight their way up on. A jealouse grin curve his lips abit, before he sighs.

A pleasent idea of being in the midst of that fighting falls over him, as he slowly looses his fight with his eyes as they shut close and his mind slowly wanders off to dreams. His breath grows slow as he mumbles.

The sight of the Village of vines returns to him, the repeating scream and gun shot he heard from a distance, as he moves up the hill, only to be met by the image he´d expected, but something more vile than he´d wish for. A dead child, he couldent have been more than ten that little troll boy, stabbed and blood rushing from its chest.

The eyes of the child suddently opens as he grip out after Modian, pulling him close as it screams at him, shouting in an unknown tongue, as Modian struggle to fight him off, drawing his combat knife and ramming it into its skull.

Modian raised his head in shock, his eyes open and await, as he looked around, a dream, but something that haunted his thought nonetheless. He threw a glare down at the lightforged zealots once more, as he thought to himself. _“How can you be the lights chosen, when you get children killed? you´re no more than glorified Scarlet harletts.”

He sighed as he rub his temple, returning his stare out over the bridge, glaring down the incoming sun, as he sighed. It´d be a hard day to day, the horde would be coming.

3 Likes

The cold night wind rustled the trees of the forest, found its way down stairwells, through cracks around windows and gaps under doors. Anna sat perched on the edge of the chair, the soft hide trousers typically worn beneath her armor, and an overlarge shirt she typically slept in, were all she wore to keep the chill from her skin. Her toes curled in the fur-lined boots as a particularly icy blast snuck its way down the back of her neck.

In truth the Winter’s of Elwynn were mild compared to those of her homeland, where frost and snow were frequent visitors in the darker months, and each child spent their evenings swaddled in furs before the fire. But the evening was bitter, colder still for the lack of fire in the grate.

Anna dipped the cloth into the bowl of water, wringing it out she mopped the sweat from his brow. Six days it had been, six long and worry filled days. Each one showed on her face, in the dark circles beneath her eyes, to the drawn pull of her cheeks where she had not allowed herself to leave his side for nourishment, only eating from the rations she had brought up when she remembered.

The candle began to gutter, running low into the base. Anna pushed herself to stand, reaching for a fresh one she lit it, extinguishing the last and placing it in the lantern. As she closed the door she caught sight of herself in the window. Her hair tied loosely in an untidy bun at the nape of her neck, the shirt hung crumpled from her frame. She looked ill. With a bitter laugh at her appearance she turned back to her sleeping charge.

It had been just over a full day since he’d first woken. Frightened and uncertain, he’d reeled off the ingredients for the “cure”.

Silverleaf. Fools cap. Sorrowmoss. Dreamfoil. Kingsblood.

It was no cure. It was a stop gap, a pause, a relief. As he’d reeled them off with dread certainty she knew what had taken root. Why the light hadn’t been able to purge this from him. She had lied, reassured him, sent for those herbs she was missing, had the rest of her stocks and stores delivered.

How could she deliver him this burden when it would serve no purpose? Knowing would not save him, would not bring him comfort, it would serve only to strip his hope and belief, and he would need both to fight for recovery. The tincture could bring him relief, the light could bring him comfort, but nothing could strip this fate from him.

Anna curled her hands together, an old rosary, its beads worn smooth by touch, grasped between her hands. In the dark of the night tears began to roll down her cheeks as silently she prayed. She prayed for strength. For comfort. For hope.

She wept, and pleaded.

Pleaded to be wrong.

Begged for a miracle.

4 Likes

The letter is written as neat as possible and addressed to Arthur Longford.

Hello Arthur,
I hope you are keeping well since I was placed into the Stockades. I was unable to write to you from within the cell nor given a chance to with all the guards watching me. Thankfully I was recruited into The Twelfth Penal Company. I am doing fine, I fought my first battle with a few scratches and a single wound that I am recovering from.

I may not have been a good son or kept in the law, but thankful for my fellow soldiers who I call friends are here to help me develop and hopefully start a new life. Most are male while some are female members of the company.

During the end of the battle, I carried one of the female members of the company back to Stormwind, only got embarrassed by a photographer taking a photo of us and called us a couple… I hope that doesn’t bite me in the rear anytime soon.

I hope Jack is doing well, he said he’ll bring me a fishing rod sometime soon to help me develop some skills for coming home, if I ever get home.

I’ll write again soon,

Sincerely,
Callum.

4 Likes

To my dearest sister Duvain

I hope this letter finds you safe, or at all, I still have no clue if you have received this or any of my previous letters, but it gives me some comfort to write them.

Today was not a good day, The captain made me hand over the elven bow I won in battle, I am angry and sad and feel so helpless, the bow was beautiful in all ways but more it was a dream to shoot with. He told me I couldn’t keep loot taken from a battle, but it’s a stupid rule, we are at war with the horde, I took the bow from a Sin’dorei that I killed, to use back against the enemy. It was in every way superior to the bow I had before.

He told me to go pick another bow from the armoury, but there all terrible bows, made for militia and farmers, i’m sure they are fine for shooting rabbits, but I want to be at my best, and it feels he has in his actions crippled me, he may as well just make me hand in my armour and send me out with a blunt knife for all the good I can now do, the best bow I could find which was suitable for my smaller frame lacks both range and power and its aim is off, pulling the arrows to the left as they fly.

I have come to care about the others in the company, I want to be able to support them, to help them, to save them if need be, but now all I have to use is a bow which is barely fit for purpose, and if I miss a shot, or can’t hit a target because it lacks the range, and one of them is hurt or killed then that’s on me

Some of the others tried to make me feel better last night, up to then it had been a good day, we had finished campcraft, I passed, it was the final part of our basic training, afterwards me and some of the others had been in the mess hall drinking tea and playing two truths and a lie. A simple game but I found it fun. Then the captain summoned me up to his office and took my bow.

I wanted to scream, I wanted to hit something, I tried to argue with him, tried to make him see why I took it and why I needed it, but he took it anyway.

Anyway enough of my ranting, I will use up all the ink

On other news, there is nice human male here called Callum, I have been getting to know more about him over the last few days, he carried me from the battle after I was wounded in my thigh , if not for him maybe I would be dead now. I like him, he is sweet and nice to be around, he offered to make me a bow, I tried to tell him it takes years of training to make the perfect bow, but it was sweet and kind of him to offer, he watched me practice with my farmers bow, said kind things to try and make me feel better, even offered to make me a necklace in the shape of a dragonfly to replace the pendant I lost when the gnome tricked me in the Stockades and took the one mother gave us each.

I also got to know more about one of the others, a man named Goldenfield, I didn’t much like him when I first arrived, but as I have got to know more about him I have started to like him more, I still don’t really understand why he decided to join, he has committed no crime like the rest of us, but lives under the same rules as us all and gets no pay. I know that if I had a choice I would not be here, but I did what I did so here I am.

Oh and one last thing before this candle burns down, I have heard howls in the distance at night, when the wind blows from the South, I swear they sounded like Petals, I have no clue how he may be sensing where I am…maybe I really do stink as bad as I think some days and he is following that. But if you read this and go looking for him…he may be further North than where I left him. I hope he is alright and I hope that of you also sister…I miss you so much, it feels like an age since we last spoke, last hugged…and yes I know you hate hugs but to bad, I like them.

Until my next letter finds you

All my love

Your sister

Nithsethel X X X

3 Likes

With a sigh of frustration Terry threw the notebook aside, turning his head so he wouldn’t have to look at it. Another ten minutes wasted. He knew he was going too easy on himself.

The homework was simple, not a lot of work either – all he had to do was write down the worst of the memories that weren’t his own memories. Three thoughts, two situations, one person. Six lines of text and he’d be done, so why was this task taking him weeks?

He realised he was feeling sorry for himself, so he lifted his head from the pillow and took the notebook again. After he pulled himself up to sit cross-legged on his bunk and took the pencil into his hand, he re-read what he’d written the other night.

Hunter
support strength advice NCO. 50.
courageous, smart, honest?

He’d started with the last part of the exercise rather than doing it in the right order. Even that part had seemed impossible until Evelynn helped him get this much done. He didn’t want to rely on others to complete the rest of the exercise though, it was his responsibility after all.

Terry frowned, pulling himself together for the fifth time in a row. It’s not hard, just do it, he told himself. Write about two situations.

Before his mind’s eye he saw a friend lying on the ground, clutching a stuffed murloc doll as she watched him dig a grave for her. His spade had hit more rocks than soil as he’d laboured in the sun, knowing full well that no matter how hard he worked, the animals would be digging up her remains within a day of his departure. Then the vultures would use their pointy beaks to tear off what the other scavengers didn’t want or couldn’t get out from between the bones. Even with rocks stacked on top, he lacked the time needed to dig a deep enough grave. Burning her body wasn’t allowed. He had glanced at his dying friend, who’d met his gaze with feverish and sorrowful eyes.

Neither of them said anything.

What was there to say?

The memory only lasted a split second, but it caused such a tight squeezing sensation in his chest that he had to gasp for breath and stop before he could even move the pencil.

It wasn’t even his own memory; it hadn’t been him who did those things, but it was still Terry’s eyes that had shared the look, Terry’s hands that had dug the shallow grave and laid the friend to rest. Much like a dreamer, he had been no more than an observer. And he believed that people’s bodies remembered such events.

There had been many situations, way more than two. Most of the time he considered them nothing more than a nightmare, because it hadn’t been real. But any time he was made to dwell on memories of those events that didn’t really happen, his body got confused and thought it was real, that it was time to get tense, or angry, or afraid.

Bodies didn’t know the difference between real and not real, between then and now.

Unfortunate, but no reason not to do one’s homework.

To calm his rapid heartbeat, he started adding more circles to the ones already decorating the margins, filling in some of the circles with spirals, leaving others blank or adding fine straight spokes down the middle. The action soothed him into a more relaxed state. As he concentrated on making the little circles perfectly round, he considered how to go about his task.

Maybe he should ask Evelynn for help again. Not that the homework was too hard. It wasn’t hard at all, he reassured himself. Nothing was too difficult for him, there were simply some things that went better if you did them together. Like bandaging your own shoulder. Asking for help of any kind was something he felt uneasy about. When he’d asked Nith to apply a new dressing on his shoulder, she had commented on his scars; it embarrassed him. Longford had watched without a word so Terry had quietly resolved to ask him to change the bandage tonight, not Nith, though his first preference still went to Evelynn. Asking two things of a friend in one day might be too much though.

He would definitely finish the homework today, no matter what.

It had to be done before his next appointment with Summer. Not that she would show any disappointment, he was sure that she’d immediately forgive him even if he didn’t complete any of it; she’d give him something else to do instead. She would go too easy on him.

Summer hid her feelings well, but even the idea that someone might sympathise with him that way gave him an inner sense of contempt – and fear. And while he had been taught how to motivate himself without using a derisive or hateful inner voice, he still loathed those moments when he gave in to self-pity. Today wasn’t going to be one of them.

He’d ask for Longford’s help changing the bandages and Evelynn’s help with the memories.

Finishing his doodles Terry got up, slotting the notebook and pencil into their pouch. As he leaned down to tuck the pouch into his backpack, the stitches in his shoulder pulled uncomfortably tight.

So he walked into the storeroom, glancing over his shoulder to ensure nobody saw him.

With a quick sly motion he pulled a glass jar off a shelf and fished out a white pill which he tucked into his mouth. He was used to dealing with pain but in combination with the blood loss, he was at risk of passing out if he exerted himself. The herbal painkiller would keep him on his feet for the next four hours.

While he was there anyway he picked up the shooter’s sandwich he’d prepared yesterday, taking the paper bag out from under the pan with water he had used as a weight. It was a half loaf of bread, hollowed out and stuffed with layers of cooked mushrooms and steak slices. The pan had compressed the loaf overnight and as a result the meat juices had soaked into the bread, giving it flavour. He eagerly inhaled the salty scent as he bagged the sandwich, then washed his hands at the sink.

Next he went into the armory to pick up the recurve bow he’d been using for a couple of weeks. He grabbed a bow stringer off a shelf and strung the bow, then attached a hip quiver to his uniform.

To his relief, there was nobody else on the range.

Loads of bullet holes marked the middle of the practise tree; he wouldn’t need to put up a target. After stepping into a firing line and ensuring he was alone, he nocked the first arrow and smoothly drew it back, taking a moment to aim before releasing. The swooshing sound of the arrow in flight and the subsequent quiet thunk pleased him; he heard and saw the arrow land more or less where he’d aimed it.

Terry enjoyed the practise, the privilege. When he’d chosen to be a rifleman, he hadn’t been sure if he was allowed to keep training his other skills. Yesterday he’d used a crossbow, today was bow day. As a challenge he tried to shoot the second and third arrow fast, one after the other, with as little time in between as he could manage. Not as swift as Nith, of course, but then, he wasn’t an elven archer.

He stayed in the dead grounds for a while to empty the quiver, sometimes focusing on his technique, other times shooting several arrows in rapid succession. At the end he crossed the dead grounds to collect his arrows.

While eating his shooter’s sandwich on the hillock nearby, he took a closer look at the weapon he’d been using. It was a decently well-crafted recurve bow, plain and serviceable; it met his needs for practise but it wouldn’t be any good for Nith. Judging by how it hadn’t been adjusted since he’d last tuned it for himself, she hadn’t even tried this one since the captain had told her to get rid of the powerful sin’dorei bow she had looted. Not that he’d tell her, but he sympathised with her for losing her new weapon so soon.

As soon as he finished his meal he got up again and jogged to the river. It was the perfect time of day, cool but not yet dark out. He took off his clothes and equipment near the waterfall so he’d be able to keep an eye on his belongings, preparing clean clothes and laying his towel on top.

Then he clambered up the slippery rocks at the waterfall’s foot.

With a constant and deafening roar the falls crashed into the rocks below. Droplets spattered everywhere. As Terry perched under the stream he felt the water beat down hard on his shoulders and back, providing him with a pleasant, almost numbing sense of pressure that wiped conscious thought from his mind.

Instead, he let his imagination run free, picturing the river as it seethed further downstream; first passing between Elwynn and Westfall, then alongside Duskwood and through a mountainous gorge leading further south all the way up to Nesingwary’s camp after which the banks spread far apart. The previously wild stream had become a deep, slow river here, powerful but stately.

He didn’t know for sure what might lie beyond, he’d never travelled that far, but he vividly imagined a wide delta like the one at the Tol’vir city in Uldum – more lush though and with raptors and big cats stalking along the shores. Warm and bright and buggy and humid; as real as if he were there in person.

Slowly Terry pulled back the way he came, picturing himself as a small dot at the waterfall, no more significant than an ant. He resisted the urge to think thoughts of his own and instead kept his mental focus cast outward, going upstream and past the waterfall this time, imagining the pressure of the water against his legs if he were to climb and wade through.

Up there he would find the source eventually.

He wanted to explore and see the spring in person, or at least imagine it, but he couldn’t do that yet.

Instead he leapt into the cool river water, swimming a few strokes and then turning to drift on his back. As he floated southward and the distance to the waterfall increased, the roaring noise went down and he could hear his thoughts again.

Soon, Earthcaller Tsuyuri would be asking him why he couldn’t ‘go’ to the source. He wasn’t looking forward to explaining something he barely comprehended himself but he’d give it his best try. The last thing he wanted was for her to give up on him.

He would’ve liked to become a shaman himself, and the next best thing was to spend time with actual shaman, who could tell him stories and share information that’d help him make sense of the world and the elements. Tsuyuri was one such shaman. That process had started when he was thirteen when his companion Ingvild had indulged his curiosity, and now he hoped that Tsuyuri held the answers to Terry’s remaining questions. Questions that Ingvild hadn’t been willing or able to answer.

He liked the earthcaller’s stoic manner, her draenei heritage and the way she steered their conversations to the topics she wished to discuss. As he floated gently downstream, he briefly wondered what it was like to be a draenei. While he respected the draenei people a great deal for their spiritualism and the sacrifices they’d made, Terry revered orcish shaman even more.

If he could choose, he’d stop being a human and live as an orc instead.

He’d do it in a heartbeat. As an orc he wouldn’t have to hold back and downplay his enjoyment of all things related to warfare; it’d free him to be himself while learning to live honourably and bravely without any of the complicated unnecessary stuff that humans tended toward. He knew he couldn’t become an orc, but he’d been giving semi-serious thought to the worgen curse.

His friend from the brigade had told him about the curse; he’d talked about the rage, the suppressed memories and the visceral way of experiencing emotion and its effects on self-control. Blood lust in particular. So the downsides wouldn’t be that bad, Terry reasoned. And as a sort-of guerrilla soldier, the upsides appealed to him a great deal.

The fantasy came to an abrupt end when it occurred to him that even as an orc or a worgen, he’d still be making excuses for himself. The orcish blood-curse and the worgen curse would give him more strength, yes, and they’d mask some of the things people saw as issues in him, but neither would take away at the rage he already felt so often.

He reluctantly acknowledged that it was better to focus on control than to add another issue.

He’d confirmed to his worgen friend that the half forgotten memories of being a feral worgen weren’t merely imagination, it actually happened, but he hadn’t been himself. It wasn’t you, he’d told him over and over again. It wasn’t you who did those things. It wasn’t your fault. All you did, all you could do was observe.

He pondered on it as he slowly swam back toward the waterfall, to his clothes. Terry knew that if you observed too many things, you developed a condition called coping, which made you half forget all the bad memories, but which also made you forget the good ones from before any bad things started happening.

And he wanted to know about his own good memories, the ones he had lost. He’d do anything to recall those.

Fortunately, you could get rid of coping by doing something called ‘exposure’, he’d explained, which is re-doing the thing you couldn’t handle the first time. He would not outright recommend that his friend should go back to the woods of Gilneas to run around and kill strangers though. Nobody had told Terry how to do exposure either.

He would let his friend arrive at the only right conclusion himself.

3 Likes

Nith had woken early, the sun had not even hinted at being ready to wake and herald in a new day, she had dressed quietly and made her way outside the garrison, she walked a little way away through the trees until they started to thin near the river. Elune shone down brightly from above, her pale light shimmering off Niths purple hued skin.

Nith paused a moment to look up at her, her gentle touch brought her some comfort and helped to focus her mind a little.

Last night had started well, Callum had cooked fresh caught fish and boiled potatoes to go with it, she had enjoyed eating it and had felt content afterwards, then the Captain had arrived and after a debriefing he had opened up a crate and promoted Callum, Sprinter, herself, Eve and Stitches to the rank of private, she had felt so proud as she had put the tabard on, she was no longer just a convict plucked from the Stockades, now she was a proper soldier.

She looked down at herself, her fingers tracing over her breast and against the emblem of the tabard, she was in the Twelfth now and she felt a sense of belonging, the first time since coming to the Alliance she felt part of them, not an outsider, not a traitor who had abandoned her own people to make a new life for herself, but she was now part of the Alliance. Even if others outside the Twelfth would still no doubt view her as some criminal just serving time, she didn’t care, she would prove them all wrong.

Nith walked a little further before sitting herself down on a small hillock that overlooked the river and to the distant hills beyond in westfall. The stars shimmered in the sky like so many tiny jewels sewn into a satin dress of black.

She slowly drifted back into her thoughts as she sat listening to the river and the distant roar of the waterfall.

She had argued later in the evening, at first with some human male that had visited the garrison, who had questioned her beliefs, they had argued mostly over if it was right to have servants, the man seem opposed to such things likening them to slaves, but Nith knew when she was growing up in Silvermoon the servants that had worked for them had been treated fairly and paid well, father had been harsh when needed, when a servant had crossed a line, but he had never mis-treated those that served well, she had decided the man had no concept of how the world worked, the educated and high born were best placed to rule, the lower classes best placed to follow, without that the world would be chaos, you had to have rulers. And that meant you had to have others following orders and doing what they were told.

After he had left she had started to argue with Eve, she hadn’t meant to but Eve had a way of making Nith goad her, she had heard Eve huff and seen her roll her eyes when speaking to the man, telling him that she was simple and closed minded, telling her that what she had been taught in Silvermoon was wrong, but she knew what she had been taught and she had no reason to question her beliefs from a woman that followed the void and believed in returning all life to it.

Eve had got angry, Nith had noticed she got angry lots when she kept pushing at her, Eve had called her to go outside to settle things between them, but she wasn’t going to play along, she was no match for Eve in a physical fight, her skill was with the bow not in close up fighting and Eve knew that, so she had refused which seemed to make Eve more angry. She felt annoyed at herself for pushing her, but part of her also felt some satisfaction to, she was only pushing at the woman to see how much control she really had, and how much the void had corrupted her thoughts.

She felt more uneasy now the captain had decided to remove the collar that had been blessed with the light that had adorned Eves neck until last night, now it was off and she was free to use her shadow magics without pain and without limits, she was sure Eve had convinced the captain it was a good thing, to be free to use her shadow mending, to help, to heal… But the void demanded a price from all its followers, it gave nothing for free, Nith remembered what she had been taught when she had become a Ren’dorei, how the void had attempted to consume them all, body and mind, their minds had been saved, but the bodies had suffered the voids corruptions, The Ren’dorei would never follow the void, never give it anything, they would use it, take from it but never give it what it wanted.

She thought back to when she had been flogged by the Captain, how Eve had been the one to heal the open wound on her back. She had felt the shadow magics flow into her body, she had felt them start to heal her, but she also knew that shadow mending was not free magic, the void would expect payment, it would heal yes, but not without wanting to consume some small part of the healed, she had been ready for it, the whispers had entered her mind, trying to creep slowly through her thoughts like shadows, tempting her to offer up a part of herself for the gift she had been given, she had pushed them back as she had been taught, she had felt pain, as the void tried to withdraw the given gift from her and as she had rejected its advances, but what was given was too late to remove, and the void sensed it, sensed it would get no payment this time, it had retreated from her mind. But only to mock her with one last whisper “If I can not get payment from you, I will take it from another”, she had seen her mother’s tormented face in her mind, heard her scream in pain and despair, she had screamed herself as she saw it. But the Void controlled the shadowlands, and part of her mother’s essence still lingered there, free for the Void to use and torment.

Nith looked up, wiping a tear from her eye, she looked to the simple bow resting at her side, wiggling her nose as she touched the wood. She called it a farmers bow, and it wasn’t far from the truth, it was made for unskilled hands, to hunt rabbits and other game, but was not a bow to use in battle.

Nith stood lifting the bow and drawing it back, releasing the string without an arrow, this is all you have right now she thought, it’s better than nothing, make do with it, learn its faults, learn its limits. Bond with it, become one with it.

She closed her eyes a moment, then drew six arrows from the quiver, nocking one to the string and holding the others in her bow hand, ready to be nocked straight after the first flew from the bow.

She opened her eyes and glanced around the forest, imagining enemies from the trees in her minds eye, then she dashed forward, leaping slightly to gain some height before the first arrow flew from the bow to thud into the first tree, before she had landed another arrow was nocked and drawn back, as her foot came down she twisted her body gracefully around letting the second arrow fly towards the next tree, it found its mark a little off centre from where she had wanted, but a kill still, rolling to her side she came up to face the third tree, two arrows left the bow almost in a heartbeat, each thudding into the tree, the feathered fletchings quivering as they settled into the wood.

Nith paused a moment, looking up at the night sky again, two arrows left in her hand

Lets see what you can do she whispered to the bow, nocking an arrow, she aimed upwards and shot an arrow up into the sky, then nocked the final arrow aiming it to the one in flight, watching it fly towards the other as it started to descend, the second arrow flew past the first missing it by no more than a fingers width.

Nith lowered the bow, brushing her fingers over the wood, you need some work, but hmmm with time maybe you can be more than you were made to be.

Nith had made her way back to the garrison , hearing the birds around her start to announce the new day as the sky started to lighten a little. Soon it would be time to head for Redridge and the next deployment.

4 Likes

Good luck, folks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Obilot, I think we need it for this deployment…

Days passed: 1
Hours of rest we can get between previous and next assault: 2
Number of soldiers able to walk: 3 (out of 6).

We’re so screwed.

1 Like

Kaibyrne Gladstone’s Personal log - Sixth Entry

I finally awake from the illness that gripped me, from what I can tell from the scabs on my face I must have fallen over. All those years looking at father, giving him his medicine, helping him him dress, feeding him and this is what he felt… this… abhorrent feeling of helplessness, like a flesh prison. I woke earlier to Anna at my bedside, I wasn’t sure if it was a dream amidst a sea of nightmares or if it actually happened, i’m still a bit lost with it all. I guess it must be true as I found her curled up at the end of my bed, poor girl must be exhausted, wearing the same clothes from when I dreamt or saw her last. She managed to procure the herbs required for my medicine, what a dolt, not sure what I did to deserve her but… I’ll never let her go. I swallowed the vile concoction, thick and hard to swallow there is no denying its effects. With it I was able to escape my bed, being careful not to wake her I got my cane and stretched my dormant legs, trying to avoid knocking her various books and herbs that were littered around the room. Out of interest I closed one of the leatherbound, behemoth tomes to see if she was passing the time or actually researching “Medical Maladies of the Eastern Kingdoms”, research then.

They tell me it has been a few weeks and that the fighting in Zuldazar was a success. I have missed so much… The elements of the Third Battalion successfully drove the attention away from the Alliance assault on the troll capital, we cut the Horde deep, I fear their impending reprisal. Hollins was singled out for his valour shown over there… perhaps I was too hard on the boy with demotion, but going AWOL is AWOL. I’ll see about giving him an exam, if he passes he can regain what he lost, he better have learned his lesson. Now that I am back on my feet I will finish Basic, got a few Privates amongst our number, might instill some amount of pride in the Company, make that badge mean something…

Already there is deployment orders sitting on my desk, the same desk where I fell, the Major should learn to give a sick man some bloody breathing room. I haven’t even bothered to look at them yet, he can wait another day too, the bald, greying old Crossed out word appears on the page. The sooner I am active again the better, I saw my father take it easy and he never recovered, that bed and him became insperate, I will not share his fate. I am not sure how or why my father’s curse has passed down to me but I will do my utmost to discover how to prevent it, I am still young… I have a life to live yet.

Signed,

Kaibyrne Gladstone.

3 Likes

To my wonderful sister Duvain.

I hope this letter finds you soon and well my dearest sister, we have just arrived back to the garrison after a deployment to Redridge, we were tasked to assist in eliminating some goblins that had crashed from a big balloon and they had holed themselves up in a run down castle. The little green snots certainly picked a good place to defend.

We suffered quite a few injuries among the company during the mission, even the Captain ended up wounded, but you will be relieved to know that I escaped with pretty much no injuries apart from the huge bruise I now have on my backside after being shoved down some stairs by one of the vile little green vermin scum. I officially now HATE Goblins, I think I will be standing for a few days more than sitting…Ouch!

I enjoyed the trip back from Redridge, it took a bit longer than normal as half the company were unfit to march so we acquisitioned a wagon to haul them back on. But we got so see many of the locals as we returned through Elywnn, many preparing for the love festival, some children near Eastvale even run past and gave me a flower crown which made me happy.

When we got back to the Garrison it was an even nicer surprise as it appears some of the local village folk had brought flower garlands over and placed them on the walls, it made me smile even more when I saw that, maybe they feel less uncomfortable by our presence here now and have seen that although we are criminals we have no ill intent towards them.

Callum my friend got pretty badly hurt during the deployment, I was really worried for him for the journey back, he regained consciousness at least now and was even starting to make his silly jokes as we got nearer home. Once we got back I helped him back to his bunk for some needed rest by getting him some walking stick things, I think crutches is what they call them. I got annoyed at Eve again though, as she blurted out right outside the gates for him to ask his girlfriend for help, which was overheard by the sentries who report back to the Captain. I like Callum , he is sweet and brave and I like being around him lots, but it’s a big leap from that to being a couple. And if the Captain starts hearing rumours like that he will likely punish us both when we have not even done anything remotely wrong. I had it out with Eve later, we argued, she called me childish again and I said bad things to her to. I just don’t think we will ever get on or be friends, I don’t like her and she doesn’t like me, but we are stuck together in this place so hard to avoid her really…oh well, guess you can’t get on with everyone.

Spoke quite late into the night with my other friend Terry, he sounded to be in quite a lot of pain as he was also hurt during the deployment, but he said he wanted some company while he tried to get sleepy enough to get some sleep so we spoke some. He seems to have lots of issues over how he thinks others see him and also with him being able to look at others in a way that he can ever gain true feelings towards them. I tried to help him by trying to understand why he feels that way towards others and then tried to help him open his mind up to thinking in a different way so that maybe one day he can meet someone and fall in love, I would hate for him to live his whole life and then die alone somewhere, regretting all he never managed to do or find. Not sure how much I helped, early days yet, but I will keep working on it.

Anyway I should try and get a few hours sleep, I am sure the Captain will be in a bad mood with his injury and all and he will no doubt want all those fit and able to be doing lots of duties in the morning, and besides I am almost out of ink and parchment.

Love you lots and lots

Your loving sister

Nithsethel X X X.

2 Likes

Nith sat upon her favorite little hillock that overlooked the river below and then to the distance hills beyond, she squirmed a little as she tried to get herself somewhat comfortable, the bruise on her backside making sitting painful.

She run her fingers along the wood of her bow, yesterday had been the first time she had been able to use her in proper combat.

She quietly whispered to the bow as she stroked her fingers gently over her.

“We need to work together girl, I know it was cold and I know it was late, but you need to give me warning when you are going to pull the shots left like that or I can’t compensate and correct them and then we both look bad”

She paused a moment as she watched a rabbit break cover and run across the open grass to her left, before it darted back into the forest and was lost from view.

“ I know your new to all this, you probably never had a proper mistress before, unwanted and left alone, but just work with me, and I will help you shine, and then you and me can show Azeroth to fear your sweet song as the arrows fly from you”

Nith pulled the bow closer to herself, whispering softer.

“I know you will try, and I think you have a good strong heart, and I will help you grow, help you become what you were never meant to be…you have felt your first battle now, so hmmm I shall give you your name……You will be Duskheart.”

2 Likes

Nith sat on her bed, the blanket was pulled up fully over her to make a makeshift tent, her fingers gently traced across the sock that was pulled over her hand, lingering on the buttons that had been sewn on to look like eyes, then tracing over the little bits of reddish wool that completed her little sock puppet.

He can’t be dead she thought again and again as her body slowly rocked, the captain can’t be dead, he was just going back to Stormwind to fetch something, he said he would be back…how can he be dead, there must have been a mistake.

Nith looked through her tear filled eyes down at the sock on her hand, softly she spoke to it

“Captain Sir, reporting for duty Sir”

Nith moved her fingers slowly in the sock to mimic it moving its mouth as she made her voice a little deeper

“Ah Nith , my favorite recruit, nice to see you are always on time and ready for duty, you never let me down”

“No Captain Sir, You can count on me,I will never let you down”

Nith moved her other hand to the sock and slowly pulled it off, lifting it to brush against her cheek.

Whispering softly to it “hmmm but I did let you down Captain, because your dead and hmm I wasn’t there to help you when you needed me”

Nith pulled the blanket off herself, jumping out of the bed, then made her way out into the chill night air, she shivered a little as she walked, the grass cold and wet beneath her bare feet.

She walked towards the river, it was a place she had come to love since being here, the roar of the waterfall grew louder as she emerged from the trees, Elunes soft light shone down to glimmer off her bluish skin, she shivered again as the nights chill breeze brushed at her skin, she looked down aware for the first time she was dressed still in her underclothing, so deep in thought she had been when she left her bed, but she didn’t care, not now.

She padded down towards the river, the grass was softer as she got closer, her feet sinking a little into the muddy ground as she moved, squelching between her toes.

As she approached the roaring waterfall she stopped and knelt, finding a spot where Elunes soft light touched the ground she started to use her fingers to dig a small hole in the soft grass, she smiled softly as she took the sock with the button eyes and red wool hair and gently placed it into the hole then slowly covered it up with the soft mud.

Her eyes gazed up to Elune as she spoke softly

“Elune, I have never prayed to you before, I have never asked you of anything, but now I ask”

Nith glanced down at her mud covered hands before looking back up to Elune

“I ask that you give your blessing to to the Captains immortal soul, I ask that you give to him your protection wherever he may now rest, he was always strict but fair to me, but when he praised me he made me feel so proud, for me to want to try harder and do better, he took me from my cell because he saw something in me. I am sorry I failed him and am willing to take whatever punishment you wish to give me for my failure all that I ask is that you grant your blessing to him”

Elunes light seemed to shimmer upon the grave as some small clouds briefly passed across her face

Nith smiled softly as she watched and spoke down towards the small makeshift grave “Elune Adore Captain Gladstone, I will never forget you”

She stood, pacing around the bank until she found a small piece of wood, then she sat again before the grave, carving some letters upon the wood with a sharp stone, she placed it gently upon the ground. Her eyes slowly tracing along the words as she read them

I’m sorry your dead, I’m sorry I failed you.

Nith

She smiled a little , then once more she slowly got up and walked away, back towards the garrison, back towards her new life without her Captain.

(It was a real joy to have been part of this guild and I loved every single moment in it, but the adventures of the 12th are not over and those of us that remain have been redeployed to become the first convict conscripts of the Seventh Legions – Sixth Cohort.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.