Abbreviations, Acronyms, slang, lingo, etc of WoW

Got annoyed with reading various guides on IcyVeins and Wowhead and often didnt understand things because of abbreviated words and whatnot. Im sure other sources are even worse than those I mentioned.

So I decided to make this Thread, a thread that everyone can contribute to. If there is a similar one, even a guide perhaps, then please tell.

I will try list-edit all contributed words in post number 3 of this thread. Apparently someone needs to post as number2 before I can post as number3 in this thread.

AP…attack power…artifact power…azerite power…azeroth power…auto power… …no wonder ppl get confused and give up reading comprehension.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/2394021476?page=1

A list for you. A bit old so add the ones that aren’t there.

btw what is auto power and azeroth power?

That list states that; AP = Attack power.

Which leads to me saying this actually isnt a list problem, its an editor problem. No editor should under any circumstance allow their writers to write AP or other abbreviations for that matter.

It works OK when the term is first used in full in an article, and the writer makes it clear in context that subsequent uses are abbreviated. Otherwise abbreviations are, as you say, confusing.

The problem is not confined to WoW, though:
https://www.acronymfinder.com/AP.html

• Associated Press
  • Angina Pectoris
  • Advanced Placement
  • Access Point
  • Assistant Principal

and 252 other meanings! (No “Artefact Power” though! )

I remember I was confused with all the terms when I started. We all were. You will get over it, though. :slight_smile:

No, this is a problem in the wow community because of the poor selection of number of words used. So now you have the situation that some of the words that ARE used are used with the same abbreviation, which close to perfects the confusion. Sure, semantics can reveal meaning, but with the poorer selection there are fewer crutches to carry semantics in this community. You know if you manage to weave in words like “diminishing returns” or even “relatively” then you are quickly seen as an ‘able’, which is describing for the sender-receiver relationship regarding communication in this community. It’s like a science club for 11yolds.

It’s like learning a new language, but an easy one and the abbreviations don’t really change.

This is not a problem with the WoW community, it’s yours.

1 Like

IC - incorrect.

You’re trolling us now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.