ACCESS_VIOLATION error- The instruction at 0x00007f" referenced memory at "0x0000... .." Could not be read

Hi all

Recently I upgraded my rig to an i9 14900k with a new Asus motherboard. All has been fine until 2 days ago when I updated the motherboard Bios. I am now getting constant crashes to desktop In wow where the error reads as above

I am reasonably confident its not my addons as I have manually disabled these and the issue persists

I have taken screenshots of the error and run a DxDiag from the command prompt to assist troubleshooting. I hope someone can help

Thanks
WillW

1 Like

Bios updated and problem started. I wonder where the problem could be…

i9 series CPUs are know to have degradation causing issues least in some games, up to requiring RMA. Make sure you have enabled Intel’s baseline profile in the BIOS and other settings are correct, too.

Removing memory overclock might help to least rule out unstable memory.

i didnt update my bios and am also on a 14900K - crashes started happening last tuesday (so basically with their NA maintenance) i fear something is broken with their last patch, switching to dx11 makes the crashes a bit less frequent but they still happen. sadly all support did was point me towards the forum, thanks for nothing i guess.

Same CPU, but running on an MSI board. The issue started after about a month without updating anything, I was able to fix it by turning off “Intel Speed Shift Technology” from BIOS. It is in Overclock Settings → Advanced CPU Settings for me but it would probably be somewhere else for an Asus board. Also some weird thing seems to be resetting it back to “auto” randomly every few weeks, so whenever WoW crashes I go to BIOS and disable it again.

I believe I am having the same issue as well, I’ve tried downloading Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and setting the performance core ratio to 53x and setting the efficient core ratio to 42x but I am crashing over and over and OVER again in group content. Had almost zero problems out in the world apart from the first day when I think I was in a high-pop area? Also tried disabling add-ons one by one, playing with none and its endless crashes in LFR in timerunning. Ive tried updating graphics drivers and also rolling them back, its all persisting no matter what :frowning:

I’m on an Alienware Arora R15
BIOS 1.11.0
13 Gen Intel 19 139000KF
DirectX 12

I’m having the same error, its been happening over the past few weeks and sometimes gets worse before getting better for a little while. I do believe it’s intel related, I have an I9 13900KS and it’s running about about 60-70 when playing WoW, which I believe is in tolerance. If anyone can post suggestions for workarounds I would really appreciate it. It doesn’t seem to affect other games.

1 Like

Update: This isn’t a WoW problem, I had to buy a new CPU.

It’s just because I play so much WoW that most of the crashes happened there. It’s 100% an Intel / Motherboard problem. If you google “13th and 14th gen Intel stability issues”, find your favourite tech site, because everywhere has covered this. This instability often manifest themselves as Access Violation errors, which are reported even in apps like Chrome, but can easily just end up crashing random apps on your system, including background services.

It’s a difficult problem to pin down because it’s down to degredation of your processor - I didn’t even know this was a thing, given that my previous Intel lasted 6 years and still works. But these i9s are often coupled with enthusiast boards, and these boards often have built in overclocking, setting the voltage several times higher than it should be.

It’s this that has caused the degredation of the processor over time.

I’ve scaled back to an i7, I don’t need all that power and heat for a few extra fps, and I’ll be making sure my motherboard doesn’t overclock anything.

In a few years time, once I’ve gotten some value out of Intel, I will swap to AMD (although some of their processors have had stability issues too, so be careful when you go high end).

You need to downclock you cpu. It is a motherboard problem. They overclock the intel cpu so they get that problem.

run with default intel values and not asus default values.

https://www.asus.com/dk/support/faq/1053456/

Thanks, this is good advice, I already did this, but my processor was stable until recently, and so it’s too late for me. I’m using the Intel baseline defaults and still getting crashes; the processor has degraded too much.

If you’re using an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO, a BIOS update came out just a few days ago, specifically focused on solving stability issues. Version 2301. It’s very likely to help with this issue, if you happen to have this or a similar board.

Your RAM isn’t configured correctly, have a look at the label on the side of one of the sticks,
the settings in BIOS need to reflect what the timings are, ensure the voltage is correct too, try both XMP profiles first though! if needbe drop the RAM speed down 200mhz and see if it helps at all, quoted speed on the RAM kit is not a true indicator of it’s capability.

I had the same issue for months shortly after building a new PC which included an Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming motherboard and an Intel Core 19-13900K processor.

I did eventually manage to stop crashing back to the desktop but I wouldn’t call it a proper fix.

What didn’t work was reinstalling the game or disabling all add-ons. Running repair, swapping out memory, updating graphics drivers, removing background processes… basically every suggestion I could find via Google.

What did eventually point the way was installing a CPU temperature monitor. One of my cores was hitting 100 deg c and that was causing the crash.

Rolling back WoW’s graphics settings to a mid point made the crashes less frequent and since setting the fan on my Noctua CPU cooler to maximum I’ve not had a single crash.

The one thing I didn’t do was update my motherboard BIOS. Nodude’s information above suggests this might be worth doing because having spent £2000+ on a new PC it’s irritating to say the least that it is incapable of running WoW at settings used on the PC it replaced.

In short monitor your CPU temps.

Pls read about the Intel CPU/motherboard issues first, before u write this misleading information.
This problem is not RAM issue.
This problem is not WoW only problem.

I don’t know who you are referring to but it appears I’ve correctly self diagnosed the issue is due to an overheating processor shutting down.

But yes you are correct, doing a search on Intel CPU/Motherboard issues reveals some rather worrying information.