Account hacked, email changed, characters transferred

I opened a ticket with blizzard for recovering my hacked account (writing from a family members account). How long does it currently take for a response? Also, I am wondering how they were able to get my information. I did not receive any phishing messages or gave out my details. Nor does my computer have malware (I checked now several times), anti-virus and operating systems are up to date. Furthermore, can anyone tell me if the hacker is able to access bank account information due to the hack? I would need to know in order to freeze/unfreeze the account. Additionally, I understand that the gold and items can potentially be recovered, are the characters transferred back as well, since I saw that my chars were all in different realms now? I also had a lvl boost from the newest expansion, if that one was used, is it possible to get that back? I hope some people out there can provide me with some answers.

I can’t answer that of course, but a common problem nowadays is when you use the same password on another service/website.
Large websites get hacked every day, the username/password/email data ends up leaked and inevitably cracked and tried against other services.

It might be worth checking https://monitor.firefox.com/, but realise that’s nowhere near a complete listing.

Also, once this has been resolved, get the authenticator (app).

Not through Blizzard. But since you don’t know the origin of the hack, you can’t say for sure that that means it’s all good.

If (for example) your e-mail service was compromised, they could have used that to gain access to your Blizzard/BattleNET account, and likely many other services.
So if that’s the origin then the problem is likely much wider than just Battle.NET.

Secure your e-mail account itself first (change the password, verify account details).
Then, for any service you have doubts about, verify that the e-mail address is correct and then change your password.
Don’t use the same password in more than one place, and don’t use predictable variations.
Using a password manager may be worth considering.

I would imagine so, i think they effectively roll your account back to a prior state.

Long.

They’re way backed up due to the massive increase in players (with everyone home due to corona), and many of those players having support needs.
And they’re probably also working with less people than usual due to Corona.

If i were you i’d try to get in contact by phone (if that’s currently possible).
I suspect you may have a speedier result then.

The fact that that has happened, sounds highly unusual to me. But i’m not sure what difference it makes :slight_smile: I suspect they’ll be able to rectify it all.

They discontinued their phone-in system years ago. Too many people were abusing it with problems they can’t help with. They still offer a callback system, but I have seen posts saying that the callback system is shut down due to not having sufficient staff and being deluged with tickets due to Corona.

Really? I feel like it must have been last year (2019), that i called them to deal with an account issue. I suppose it’s possible it was a bit longer back, in 2018, but doesn’t feel like it. Maybe it differs per country.

Anyway, yea it being down due to Corona wouldn’t surprise me one bit, it’s why i added the “if that’s currently possible”, but felt it’s worth suggesting.

My email should be secure as it uses a different password all together. Different services already have different passwords as well. I was hoping for a callback since I gave them my phone number but thusfar no response. I would also do with a live chat option but I guess with the current crisis that is not possible either. I made now a separate email address plus added that authenticator, all I need is access again to my account… hopefully not in weeks time because I have been playing WoW for over a decade and this has me super stressed. Been on the phone with the bank all day to make sure they were no charges since I dont know where the hack came from. Nothing else seems to be affected tho.

I wouldn’t stress about the long term effects, they’ll almost certainly be able to sort you out and get everything back to normal.

The short term wait however, is rough.
There probably couldn’t have been a worse time for this to happen to you, timing wise, between the vanilla wow launchdate and now.

That’s good. Once you have access to your account, the battle.net account page does list “recent logins” and the location associated with the relevant IP addresses, perhaps that explains something once you see it.

Maybe someone you know, knew your account details ? Or a PC you left Battle.net installed/loggedin on with your details. The fact that characters got moved around doesn’t make it sound like the usual “robbery” you see after an account gets compromised.

I only have it installed on one PC, which is at home and doesnt leave it’s place. Only immediate family has access, one of which has her own account, different PC, the other wouldnt even know what an MMORPG is in the first place. It truly has me baffled.

Have you followed all the advice here - https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/9852 Particularly follow the ‘secure your computer’ link as it’s pointless getting your account back if there’s still something nasty lurking. There’s also a lot of useful information in the dropdown at the end of the article.
Also, most importantly, add an authenticator and an absolutely unique password for your account.

Yes, I have and as mentioned before, I did not find any malware and all updates were there. The authenticator is already downloaded, I am running another scan of my PC right now just as a safety precaution. However, considering the situation as is, and having read recent forum post, it looks like people are waiting weeks for responses for hacked accounts. I am still paying for the subscription, so until I get a response and access again, someone else is playing on my dime.

It doesn’t, the phone in system must have been removed 3-4 years ago at least.

The main way account details are stolen is if you get an ingame message saying you need to go to a website and login, they try to make it look real but it’s just a whisper not a real GM or website.

He’s said he didn’t have a message.
If you keep your ticket open and don’t close and open another one, they should get to you reasonably soon. It’s not weeks and most of the posts about very long waits are after the first contact.
To be honest, I’m really surprised there’s anyone without an authenticator nowadays. Blizzard have done their best offering a pet and extra bag space. Hopefully now you’ve downloaded it, your account will be safe once recovered. I also have Blizzard’s SMS Protect which messages you as soon as any change is made to your battlenet account so, if it’s not you that did it, you know straightaway there’s a problem which makes it easier to fix.

Well, a phone message would have helped little since the hack occurred around 4 am, and I would have never heard my phone go off then. I did however react within less than just a few hours later, when I checked and saw the verification and changes to blizzard account emails. I shortly thereafter made a ticket, which I have not made any changes to. I may add an additional SMS service but I dont think it would have helped in this case if it only alerts after the changes. Unless it sends a code necessary for changes, but regardless, the few hours probably did not make a difference since I am already waiting much longer for a first response.

Mumbles to himself…Who did i speak to ?! Who did i call ?! What padded room am i going to live the rest of my life in ?!..

I would’ve bet my favorite Challenge mode mount on that i got that issue resolved over the phone, but now the doubt has set in…

Oh well ! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you sure it wasn’t phone callback where you do speak to someone on the phone, but they call you …

1 Like

It’s possible as Blizzard use a callback system. Which is where you ask for them to call you, but the numbers to call them directly were removed before 2017, I’m almost sure about that.

It has indeed been quite a while since we switched from people phoning in, to doing callbacks. In my opinion, it beats waiting on hold at times we’re super busy, especially if you’re paying for the call.

As for the issue at hand, as long as a ticket was opened, it’ll get looked into and we’ll do our best to reverse all damage that was done, whether that’s loss of items/gold, transfers, etc.

All the advice here regarding securing your account is also on point. We do a lot to make having an Authenticator not only a benefit, like from the previously mentioned back slots and pet (though these don’t apply to Classic), but also to make it as painless as possible. For example, if you’re always playing from the same location, it generally doesn’t prompt you to verify a login since that location’s noted as ‘safe’. There’s more to it than that, obviously, but it’s pretty good about not bugging you more than it has to, unless you specifically enable the option to prompt you at every login :slight_smile:

Just be sure that you’ve saved the Serial Number and Restore Code from the Authenticator app somewhere secure. If you ever upgrade your phone, or reinstall the Authenticator, you’ll need those to get it synced up with your account again.

Again, I have already taken all the steps, the authenticator download being one of them. I have had my own reasons for not downloading it earlier (loss of several phones being one of them). Regardless of these steps, which again have been recommended by helpful people on this forum and as well as existing customer support pages by blizzard, this does not alleviate my grievance. As I mentioned several times, I have already taken all these steps (including uploading ID, emails etc). However, it has been days since I wrote the ticket and there has still NOT been an initial response. I understand that during these difficult times, and working from home, reversing these changes will not happen immediately. But, at the very least a response from blizzard would be appreciated. I have been playing WoW for over a decade, never cancelled the subscription and I am still paying for it (not monthly but 6-month subs). Having been a faithful customer/player for so long, I have rarely had issues and at most had few tickets regarding purchased items (back when servers were merged and my character could not be found). Now I provided my phone number as well, but I havent received any callbacks either. In the meantime, the hacker has access to my personal information on battle.net. I understand reversing changes wont happen fast, but can blizzard at least lock the account? Or something, really any official response would be nice. Due to blizzard slow reaction (again regarding first response and not actually doing the changes), I had to freeze my bank account, and just to make sure, I will have to make a new one. Oh, and now I have another question. Considering that purchased level boost are the most trending topic in the forum right now, will I receive my boost back (which I got from the expansion) if the hacker used it?

Good day! I had a similar problem 2 days ago, and support didn’t answer me. The authenticator was connected and just an email came in that my mail was changed.
Could you help me with this question?

You need to wait for your ticket to be answered. They are being dealt with as quickly as possible in the current emergency. Don’t cancel the ticket and open another as you’ll go to the back of the queue. They will answer you, you may just have to wait a little while.

1 Like

After having received an automated message to my ticket after days about the hacked account, which basically was a “fill in the blanks”-thank you for making them aware of a players hacked account, GM said: “We will take a closer look at this Account and contact the Owner via the mentioned email address.” Whilst also saying: “Please be aware that the Hacker has access to the email address […] and that it is not safe to use this anymore.” Smart, I provided a phone number, still they wanna try via email. Fine, but no contact has been made with the owner of the account for many days now. Also, I mentioned the email isnt compromised, only Blizzard. Any other legitimate questions and concerns that were posted in the ticket weren’t even acknowledged/answered. Yes, I am frustrated with the lack of response. Regardless of the crisis and difficulty of perhaps actually working from home, even if they cant undo immediately all the changes, at the very least, they could actually answer the questions. Now, another questions for you lovely folks out there: If the hacker not only transferred your characters, but also changed names, can you get your char’s names back as well? Considering how long customer support is taking, I am wondering if someone else might not just take the name on the original realm. Would I even get the names back?