AD RL Meetup 20th-21st July 2024

Helloo there!

Do you mean Baratide Naval Brigade? Since that’s the only Brigade I have been in with a character named Julia Alice Cooper! ^^ But yes! I never really stopped playing! Just changed characters ehheh!

2 Likes

I think Baratide was after that, I know you were with us for a while after the Blackwind Marine Platoon, though tbh, I’m getting my timeline confused now. But I am pretty sure that it was you. Did Julia Alice Cooper happen to be a redhead with glasses IC? Priestess?

AFB used to be lead by a guy named Lonce Silverhill, after the original guild Band of Blood stopped being mercenaries after the old GM left. The guild lasted for maybe a year or so, maybe two if we’re lucky, but not super long.

Does that ring a bell to you?

Actually yes, it does ring many more bells now!! ^^ That was indeed my character, redhead with glasses, priestess IC but OOC paladin ahaha. I shortly after grew tired of the character and switched to a half elf hunter, then went back to Horde for a while, that’s probably where you lost track of me! Such a small world!

1 Like

Small world indeed, but nice that someone from those days is still playing! I do not play on the Horde at all, but, Desartin here is my main, the IC brother of Hargorin, though lately I have started to play Hargorin again aswell. So, if you ever wish to say hello again, feel free to poke any of these if you see them online :slight_smile:

“I’d definitely 100% absolutely come if the meetup was in central Europe!”

“Finland is way too north, way too expensive.”

“Won’t step within 100 miles of salty licorice. :nauseated_face:

Fine, alright, I get it - in summer 2017, it was time to test if having a meetup elsewhere would be a thing again. So let’s head back to England, London, for another conservation zoo trip inspired by that other meetup I had attended in 2011.

England being so much more central than Finland, and cheaper to travel to from many other European countries, surely everyone on Argent Dawn would attend!

In reality, the attendance was smaller than in any of the Helsinki meetups. Proving that Finland is without question the superior choice.

( But also because a) I announced the meetup pretty late b) being a foreign visitor to the country myself, I didn’t pour as much energy into organizing something as extensive as the meetups in my local area. )

Arrival on Friday and departure on Sunday, so it was going to be a quick trip.

Love taking photos of beautiful old buildings.

I also seem to have taken a lot of photos of brick walls, for art reference…

Come Saturday, we gathered at the entrance to the venue. I really enjoyed the group we had for this meetup; traveled there with another Finn I knew from the previous meetups, saw two of my old vanilla friends again, met a few British AD players whom I had known for years online. I remember Ará was there too, and then some new faces. We were about 10 people total, and it was easy to talk with everyone without feeling overwhelmed.

We spent much of the day at the conservation zoo, which as mentioned previously, is huge if you wanted to see everything. Took a lot of pictures, half of which were probably of ourselves rather than the animals, though who could tell the difference if these WoW sapiens were put into a pen.

Afterward we spent some time at a pub, playing a few rounds of party games.

Of course I had forgot something important for the trip, but fortunately the others helped me out. :pray: Don’t forget your own adapters if you come visit Finland from the UK!

I found love in England. Regrettably he’s no longer around. :sob:

I’ve now summarized 6 past AD meetups, and there’s yet 2 more to speak of; the second Christmas meet in 2017, and Easter Meetup in 2019. Then, it’s already time for this year’s gathering!

7 Likes

Posting the next issue already lest I forget, thanks to FF14’s new expansion.

In the winter of 2017, a chilling wind howled through Helsinki’s streets, sending shivers down everyone’s spines as they prepared for the incoming explosion of Christmas cheer mixed with Argent Dawn revelry.

With Snooki, the friend I made from the previous Christmas meetup, we together organized another one held at the start of December. The venue remained unchanged from previous year, as it suited the ambiance of the event. We dedicated more time to decorate the place, even handcrafted Horde & Alliance flag banners to be hung from the ceiling. A few other individuals also helped with the arrangements such as music and the Secret Santa.

This time, I felt a greater sense of excitement rather than nervousness because there would be many familiar faces from past meetups. Of course also plenty of new people, but I was 100% convinced good times were to be had, based on how cozy the previous gatherings had been.

The venue had a maximum capacity of 35 or so people, and we had no trouble reaching that attendee number. When writing about the previous Christmas meetup, I mistakenly recalled that the venue limit was 30, but the photos of this event proved me otherwise. There were even a few people waiting to reserve a spot in case someone cancelled! The times when people were still actually going out to socialize before the pandemic.

Dressing up in the event’s spirit was again optional, but I vividly remember one gentleman arriving in a glorious Victorian suit, with a pocketwatch and everything. What a dapper star.

I also remember Ará turning up in a very Xmassy outfit with a naughty list tag on it. I think he still got a present though…

The program for the meetup mirrored the one from the previous Christmas party. Mingling, drinks and food, guestbook, party card/board games, Secret Santa, PvP tournament etc.

Blizzcon level prizes for the tournament. I didn’t even remember the unicorn eraser.

A lot of people played Overwatch back then.

Thanks Shuang :two_hearts: I swear I’m not quite as apathetic as my character!

Guest of honor coming all the way from Lappland, bestowing us with presents.

Tears welled up in people’s eyes as they witnessed the fulfillment of everyone’s dreams come true.

Looking at the group photo reminds me of just how many people on this server I’ve had the pleasure of meeting face to face. Probably around a hundred by now, all the AD meetups and other occasions combined. People often exhibit a stark contrast between how we may perceive their online persona and their real self, as I have learned.

On Sunday, we had the traditional get-together at noon with those who were up for it, going someplace for lunch and sugar rush. Due to the brr-some season, we largely remained indoors.

Next week, the Xmas spirit is replaced by Easter fun times! :egg: :paintbrush:

6 Likes

I’ve booked my flight! If all goes well (knock on wood), I’ll be arriving in Helsinki on Thursday evening (July 18), which will leave me with a day free to rest and wander the city before the event.

3 Likes

Oh! I have a pocket watch like that!

1 Like

Was a great time, that meet! So happy I went. Enjoyed it so, so much. Good memories <3

1 Like

Great! Hope the weather will be good so you can enjoy the Friday in the city to the fullest.

Of course you do, you Gilnean you. Probably also got a tophat collection in your wardrobe too! :tophat:

Happy to hear, was really nice to meet you live! :white_heart:

FYI, Ropecon programme has been published on their website. Here’s the schedule for the Saturday 20th: https://ropecon.fi/en/guide/#date:2024-07-20/display:list

In timeline format: https://ropecon.fi/en/guide/#date:2024-07-20/display:timeline

If there’s something in the convention program that interests you earlier on the day or later in the evening, you’re welcome to head there earlier and leave later than the main group. I recommend to double check which activities are provided in English / Finnish.

I’ll start inviting attendees to the meetup discord early next week.

5 Likes

ahhh the LONDON Meet up was fun. A trip to the Zoo then there was that nice food and natuarlly the World’s End pub

1 Like

Alas. I do not have a top hat, nor a suit anymore in the real world. Haha.

1 Like

If only I wasn’t poor as fel due to prior poor economic choices (read: yummy food and nerd stuff) else I would totally try to attend. If not only as an excuse to hang out with a varied bunch of geeks! All those photos of prior meet-ups make it seem so damn jolly.

Best of luck this year, I hope the lot of you will have a splendorous time!

3 Likes

Never too late to get one! :tophat:

1 Like

I was never into the top hat in the real world, for Azeroth, it is grand. Was more an Indiana Jones fan when it came to hat choice. As for the suit. I used to be in full dark blue or black suit with tie and my pocket watch in a button hole when I used to work full time ^^

1 Like

Also!!

I STILL HAVE THIS <3 I was very happy! That’s my haaaaand.

3 Likes

Here comes the eight and final glimpse into past Argent Dawn meetups!

The 2019 meetup was all about Easter fun, bringing together Argent Dawners from all over for a vibrant and chocolate-filled weekend in Helsinki. In April, the summer feels like a fool’s dream due to Finland’s deceptive springs, but indoors the cold breeze was easily forgotten.

A new, colorful venue was booked for the meetup, with plenty of seating and table space for different activities. Special thanks to the gang who came early to help decorate the place! In total we had 30 players attending this gathering.

I appreciated the message on the pub wall.

Our wonderful make-up guru, Kestonya, hosted a glitter stall to elevate the party!

:star_struck:

My choice was obvious…

… even if 2018-2019 was my orc period, as I spent a couple of years playing more actively on Horde side. A poster for the egg painting contest featuring Manata and co-host Snooki.

Ready, steady…

Mrrgrlggrg!

Loved seeing all the ideas people came up with! To determine the victor, attendees voted for their favorite entry. In the end we had a tough tie between two contestants!

While yours truly didn’t participate in the competition, I had painted some containers that were filled with candy.

At the end of the event, I gave away each half to attendees who liked the art.

Leave a message in the comment box.

We also had a console tournament, though I regrettably no longer remember which game it was, or who scored victory. Perhaps someone else remembers?

The meetup also featured the usual guilty pleasures.

At bedtime, some night owls headed for the One Night in Karazhan experience, drinks and raving dance moves galore. I was particularly enthused seeing our stylish Victorian gentleman, who made an appearance at this event as well, grooving to the pop and techno.

On Sunday people met up for the most unauthentic tortilla brunch, nonetheless quickly consumed by the sleep-deprived souls. I may’ve left the Sunday activities quite early myself due to exhaustion from the previous night, but judging from the photos, some others had a very equivocal insightful tour in a historical museum.

I had finally gotten over my English crush,, seen in tow with a dashing Finnish elf.

I hope the eight meetup writeups from 2007 until 2019 have offered people fun glimpses of what the past ones have been like, as well as some understanding of why this year’s meetup is happening in the first place - because they are enjoyable!

End of 2019 was marked by the onset of the corona pandemic, which was swiftly followed by the Blizzard scandals. These incidents strained many of our relationship with the company and its products, and on top of that, players were generally rather unhappy with the direction World of Warcraft was taking. In addition, I perceived a significant division among communities on Argent Dawn for an extended period of time. Everything combined, the situation didn’t inspire to organize another WoW server meetup for a good while.

But now, I feel the time is right try anew.

There’s no telling if this year’s meetup will be the last of the last in AD’s history, or if continuation shall follow sometime in the future. What I do know is that we’ll be having a blast this summer!

The forum thread might become quiet going forward, as most of the discussion shifts to Discord. The number of people signed up looks great!

See you soon! :saluting_face:

9 Likes

This was super-fun and a great initiative for roleplayers to get to know each other!!!

Source: I’ve been to the meet-up in 2019 and had LOTS of fun!

3 Likes

This is happening soon! Hope you guys will have a good time and meet some amazing folks. :partying_face: :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

This is happening today indeed!

In the end I was able to set aside time and I will be on my way to the meet soon enough!

As for the pictures above, I am glad to say that I am a proud owner of the “pwned” egg half! It’s still on the shelf at my childhood home…

6 Likes