ADDON SPY bluepost pls

so i noticed this addon called “SPY” is the new thing in classic.
why is this allowed???
long story short, with the addon spy you see ALL other faction players in X range distance that are near you. (stealthed and not stealthed) wich can alert you of who, class + name + lvl before you even see them.

so i wonder, whats the point in stealthing? if ppl know ur near them with this addon.

whats the point for druids/hunters to track humanoids when you have this addon and everyone can use this.

i was going to gank a mage on my druid 10 minutes ago, probly had the addon noticed me near and just sit and logged out (lol) this can be a coincidence but the fact this is happening is just stupid.

is this what classic is about? basically addons that “cheat” in some way for you.
it breaks multiple class abilities etc and the effect of surprise.

so would love to see a blue post about this really.

i would vouch for this addon to be removed/banned from the game
(this is retail sh**)

16 Likes

It was already significantly nerfed yesterday:

2 Likes

nerfed but still there. still giving unfair advantages over stealthed players or players not using the addon (like me, cuz its disgusting to use that)
they should just ban that specific addon.

we all wanted classic “the vanilla experience”
look at classic now. retail kids everywhere,
everyone doing spellcleaves, meleecleaves, twitch boys looking at their idols farming gold and doing it aswell, addons that gives you unfair advantages,
cross faction collusion, theres NOTHING vanilla about this game.

8 Likes

It’s not unfair because you are making a decision to not use it. There is nothing beyond your own choice preventing you from gaining that advantage. Now don’t get me wrong I also wish that detection addons weren’t possible but that is just not the game that we are playing, or were playing during Vanilla.

So far what I played today my Spy felt substantially nerfed. It wasn’t detecting everyone anymore and I was getting a fraction of the notifications that I used to get. Still that will be situationally very useful and I recommend that everyone install it.

5 Likes

See, even after nerfs they still complain.

11 Likes

It’s not “retail-kids” ruining the game. It’s the tryhard mentality that people have nowadays, mainly due to the influence of content creators (and the dream of becoming one, that a lot of people secretly have)

The game was once new, and we were young, naive and more chill about it. Nowadays, the norm is following guides and minmaxing, sadly.

I do agree that the addon should be completely banned tho.

10 Likes

so basically now you only get ACCURATE data from ppl actually going to target you instead of players on a flightpath.

this really destroys the stealth ability and blizz can remove this ability now NP.

this also destroys track humanoid cuz theres this addon telling you this.

im aware i can download this addon, but i dont want to downgrade myself to that state and i hope others see how wrong this addon is in so many ways they stop using it and actually “save” classic pvp.

How exactly do you suggest they do that?

1 Like

they have banned/disallowed addons before.
this shouldnt be anything new for blizzard.

7 Likes

What if I make another addon called “Not-Spy” with the same exact functionality?

1 Like

you get an IP-bann + account bann and can go play pac-man.

6 Likes

So what you’re actually suggesting is to ban any addon that reads chat? Well, then its gonna break much more addons than just Spy.

3 Likes

You are using too much hyperbole to be convincing. Yes, it was an incredibly overpowered addon and it is still very strong. What it doesn’t do though is destroy the stealth ability. My main is a Rogue and stealth was still very useful even with the old Spy. You just have to play around Spy and expect that everyone has it. What helps with that is using it yourself so you understand exactly what its limitations are.

People won’t stop using an addon just because it is bad for the game. That will only happen if it stops being useful.

1 Like

i see your point, but its blizzards job to basically allow or not allow such addons to their “classic” game.
the fact they nerfed it says a lot already. its just wrong in every way that addon.

They wan’t to minimize their involvement in the game as much as possible, that’s why you don’t have GM’s intervening as much as in retail.

The game is just a re-release of an old finished game. It’s purely a gash-grab, so not putting in any effort or changes makes perfect sense.
It’s doubles up as PR for the new expansion. If they can have a large amount of players subscribe to this game for 6 months, and most of them quit by the first year, they still might have a decent chunk of these players move over to the new expansion.

This game was great back in the day, but it had it’s flaws. And the current gaming community sure as hell is going to exploit the flaws, so the game was doomed before it even came out.

1 Like

you are correct, i highly doubt classic will survive for another year like this tho.
i can understand the community changing, and this twitch streaming stuff going on, totally understandable,
but this addon. its proper cheating and allowed - i dont get that.
i really hope they do something about it, can you already see BG’s like WSG.
and the FC knows theres 3 rogues going to open… its unfair for him to know this in the first place through some kind of addon.
i wonder whats next, you can see stealthed players addon, and have a big red arrow above their heads from miles…

They nerfed it, that was your bluepost. Stop making these threads. You ain’t getting more than this, you’re not banning Questie or Healbot or Auctioneer.

Blizzard created this game with the option for addon development on purpose, why can’t you folk get your head around it? Speaking of “muhclassic experience”, devs didn’t mind people using way more powerful addons back in the time. Stop putting words in the devs’ mouths too, saying that they didn’t want/expect more than a few people to use these features, you’re just making stuff up at this point to defend a lost cause.

P.s. Spy wasn’t nerfed because it’s going against the imaginary “muhclassic” experience, it was actually broken and detecting stuff from further than intended by the devs.

1 Like

A great addon, I whole heartedly recommend it. Without the addon, the game in its current state would be even more unbearable than it is right now. At least now when I start getting closer to a dungeon and the alarm goess off with 10-20 targets, I know there’s one of those ganking raids again and I can log off to spend my time in a better manner.

1 Like

how is questie comparable to spy?
questie gives no advantage over other players whatso ever !
spy does.

how am i making this up? you for real? lol

so why is there stealth or track humanoids in the game at all if one lousy addon destroys the whole meaning of those abilities?
does auctioneer make me get any PVP advantage?
does questie do?

cant wait for you to explain me this.

just happend again, a rogue with 20% hp i go close and for some “unknown reason” he vanish and sprint stealth away. (cuz he obviously has spy and knew i was going for him)

questie or elvui or any of these normal addons hold NONE ADVANTAGE over other players using it or not using it.

spy gives so much advantage over other players, it takes away the surprise effect of world pvp or soon WSG flagfights.
even for arathi basin when your hunter has to defend a flag, he already can call out when a rogue is near trying to make a plan to get the flag off him because his cheating addon tells him the rogue is there now)
if you dont see the problem, then i have no hope for you.
next thing we know wer all botting legit.

this is proper cheating, and you dont have to agree with me on this. but what im stating here are proper facts !

you shouldnt be supposed to know if a stealthed player is near you unless u find him the old fashioned way (sound, saw him or aoe)

@bulltide really dude… your arguement is its a good addon because you basically know how many players are waiting at a dungeon before you even go close to it. you dont call that cheating? you log off, taking away honor they would have earned killing you.
by you logging out you also take away the interaction with the enemy faction.

you bunch should be playing a pve realm.

Hey you’re the guy who ganked my warrior after I did the berserker stance quest and you got stuck on something after charging me in the water while I was trying to swim away. Almost made it too.

On topic, how would they ban it? Spy isn’t doing anything other than reading the combat log so unless they ban reading the combat log what can they do?