Advanced filter options for Group Finder

I would highly encourage the addition of a few filters for the group finder, so you can rule out warmode. Yes, a fair few people are kind enough to put warmode on or off in the group’s title, but seeing as how cumbersome it is to go about changing your warmode to get back to the group you’re trying to join, it just seems prudent that you have the option to simple filter the other warmode groups away. Reduces a lot of static in the window and you end up finding the groups that are right for you a lot faster.

Getting together should be simple and fun! Let’s make it happen <3

2 Likes

This could only really work for groups in the Questing category, but yea i agree something like this could be a welcome addition there.

For groups in the raid, dungeon, arena, battleground and island expedition categories it wouldn’t serve a purpose, as the vast majority of that content is instanced. (Worldbosses being a notable exception but since those now tend to have an accompanying world quest they should end up in the Questing category).

In the custom category, it couldn’t really work. Since custom groups aren’t tied to any content, the game isn’t aware if what you’re planning to do is affected by war mode or not.

I think a more desirable method roughly in line with your suggestion would be to just display a WM-on or WM-off badge of sorts on every group, indicating the group leaders setting.

Ideally that could be accompanied by a “[ x ] Match my warmode” filter checkbox, but seeing as we can’t even reliably filter much more fundemental things (such as mythic+ level ranges), and they removed the ability for addons to fill that gap, i wouldn’t hold my breath on such a QoL change.

There is UnitIsWarModeActive() but I don’t know if it works on party members that are not in range or even in the same phase (don’t have a level 120 toon to playtest group finder)

https://wow.gamepedia.com/API_UnitIsWarModeActive

It will, but of course once they are “party members”, the issue is already moot anyway.

One could probably* create an addon that would flag groups that you create (by appending WM on or off to the group name), but an addon won’t be able to provide that sort of information about existing groups made by other people. So unless said addon had massive market penetration, it wouldn’t really end up helping you.

A feature like this would really need Blizzard-backing to work out.

* = The reason i say “probably” is because of the somewhat recent changes Blizzard made to what information about groups is available to addons. Since addons are (for example) not even allowed to read the title/name of groups in the group finder anymore, i’m not sure if they change the name of groups you attempt to list either.

Well, yes. I meant this for groups under Questing and Custom. I agree it makes little sense to filter out dungeons and raid parties, or any other instanced event. It’s just incredibly frustrating to accidentally join up with a quest or custom group, just to get phased out of your own shard and potentially losing out on a rare spawn you’ve been waiting on. It makes sense that you can see the groups, but it also makes little sense that you are not able to filter them out, seeing as it’s a big hassle to change warmode and regroup with people afterwards.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.