Affliction Warlock Fantasy

Unlike other warlock specs which mostly focus on Fel and demons, I really like the vibe of Affliction Warlock – as it gives more of a ‘dark caster’ / dark mage vibe than demonologist and chaos bringer.

The fact that we can now use Grimoire as baseline is amazing – I always hated having a pet, but loved the fantasy behind Affli. So this is spot on and I feel Grimoire is definitely something that should permanently stay for Affli warlocks.

Shadow and Soul magic being tied to this spec is amazing and I generally hope we get to see some changes to how it plays for smoother gameplay overall.
Right now I feel Affli falls behind other specs, and it could definitely do with a bit of love.
A lot of classes have their AoE set as baseline, whereas Warlocks need to -pick- AoE as talents, which is incredibly crippling.

MR also needs some tweaking or it generally just needs to -go-.
The build-up for burst is incredibly slow, sure we have sustained damage but our rotation and our opener are horrendous and very clunky. After playing as an Evoker I couldn’t shake off the feeling how ‘old’ and bad Affliction plays compared to it.

Either way, hoping to see more love brought to Affli.

1 Like

If we are going lorewise: warlock is not exclusively fel caster, warlock is “everything that azeroth denizens will consider a magical warcrime” caster.
Or more like “everything that legion used” caster

1 Like

For affliction to return to it’s “true nature” Blizzard would have to center the spec around DoT damage, currently DoTs serve only as amps for Malefic Rupture and deal f* all damage by themself.

Unfortunately Blizzard is AFFraid(pun!) of that one council fight per raid tier where DoT-focused specs ramp out of control damage-wise (because having diminishing returns on multiple targets is 2hard2code idk, not an expert)

2 Likes

Blizzard is unwilling to make DoTs strong, because it will “Diminish the engagement” of the players. Same philosophy plagues Demonology, because demons themselves for a long period of time were useless, only using some spell could summon a strong demon or make rest powerful for a short period of time.
For them “passive” source of damage of warlock DoTs/Demons is not fun and needs to be tied to some overly complicated mechanic.

2 Likes

I have to agree with this guy 100%, Which is why the DoT’s are weak af in comparison to other “filler” spells my corruption at 458 and 80% mastery ticks for 4.2k normal which is nothing.

If they buffed DoT’s people would cry Omg i died to a ticking DoT that could have been dispelled but they are quite happy to die to a Chaos Bolt one shot or something, People make no sense.

People die from the cheap damage of DH or UDK, Warrior or Rogue, but when it is DoT damage or pets people start to loose their minds.

i mean the thing we love about aff is dot damage right
and wotlk/cata/mop were the pinnacle of dot damage based aff
thats why playing aff there feels so enjoyable

In CATA/MoP DoTs were strong, but they required the malific graps to deal the really scarry damage.
I think in Cata and MoP the design, pace and the gameplay itself were more responsive.

atm im letting my gametime expire not goin to renew it just hate what Blizz did to aff it is supose to be a dot spec (what i love btw) but oure dot’s hit like a wet needle its like the op said ppl have no prob when they die from a massive chaos bolt, a stun lock from a rogue but when they die from dot’s all hell breaks loose.

I agree MR needs a rework or Malefic GRasp needs returning and Soul SWap wiht no soul cost.

Whats amusing is that we are supposed to be “pressure” damage yet almost ANY other DPS class could DPS half a dungeon and go AFK for the rest of it and still probably beat our overall DPS.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.