Affliction Warlock

My biggest concern is that I want to give meaningful feedback on Affliction, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge or suggest changes to content I haven’t actually been able to experience yet.

Ironically, I think that’s probably the most important feedback I can give at this point.

We’re already halfway through the talent tree, and I’m struggling to explain what actually makes an Affliction Warlock feel different from the other Warlock specs. The easiest way to describe it is simply by looking at what Affliction doesn’t get.

At this point in the tree, Destruction is picking up abilities like Shadowburn and Conflagrate. Demonology is either sacrificing its demon and building around talents like Decimation, or going down the Brand route.

Affliction, meanwhile, has mostly gained small passive improvements and perhaps an occasional free Shadow Bolt that barely affects the overall rotation. We’re not using Shadowburn or Conflagrate. We’re not sacrificing our demon for major buffs, we’re not casting Soul Fire, and we’re not getting the big hits that make Brand stand out.

For the first 20–30 talent points, Affliction largely feels like the same spec it was before. Other specs, including other Warlock specs, are already picking up talents that noticeably change their gameplay and reinforce what makes them unique.

That’s actually how you can currently identify an Affliction Warlock: they’re the Warlock whose gameplay has barely changed over the last 20–30 levels.

I understand that Affliction has traditionally been a more subtle specialization. Its identity doesn’t necessarily have to come from flashy abilities or huge burst windows. But right now, the entire talent tree feels like a collection of small, mostly invisible adjustments, with the expectation that everything will eventually come together once we unlock Wrack and finally get the classic DoT-and-drain Affliction playstyle. (wrack looks kinda weak)

The problem is that, until we reach that point, Affliction’s identity is defined less by what it does differently and more by what it doesn’t do.

And I use the word “expectation” deliberately. We haven’t had the opportunity to actually play with Wrack yet, so I don’t want to judge it prematurely. At the same time, based on the information currently available, I’m not particularly confident that it will completely solve the problem of Affliction lacking a distinct identity throughout the earlier parts of the talent tree.

Based on their recent interviews I think Blizz focus has been on classes that only have maybe 1 or 2 buttons in their rotation. They know Frost Mage for example in PvE is terrible as it seems to just be spamming Frost Bolt over and over. They said they want each tree to have 3 or 4 buttons in their rotation or around that.

Be interesting how they fix Frost Mage without impacting PvP. I haven’t played a Frost Mage yet so not sure. Anyway my point is their focus seems to be on the trees that need to be a little more interesting.

With regards to Affliction I think it’s identity is very much the pure DoT class. Using mainly drains and damage over time shadow magic. Bane of Agony, Corruption, Immolate and soon Wrack as well as Drains. While it is true Demo and Desto can use these, they cannot use them as efficiently or effectively as Affliction can and the goal of the tree is to get as many DoT’s onto as many mobs as possible and watch them melt.

While I definitely would like to see some neat new variety in how Affliction plays I do think other classes and trees are taking the priority at the moment. Still you never know!

It would be good to have some kind of mega punch spell that would complement Affliction brilliantly, something that would cause all your DoT’s to hit all their DPS in one go but have a huge mana cost and cast time to balance it. Warlocks version of Pyroblast for example but cause all your DoT’s on the target to hit all at once.

Be interesting to see what they say when they release the Warlock update vid.

1 Like