All Time Favourite Game/s

Dark souls
God of war (all games)
Assassin’s creed (ezio’s trilogy and black flag)
Tlw: jurassic park
Super mario world
Gran turismo

1 Like

My all time favourite game was Blizzard`s World of Warcraft.

Least favourite - Activision`s World of Warcraft.

1 Like

Any game that allow me to pretend to play as characters from my novel.

So… MS Word. Even if I write with Latex and VS Code nowadays.

1. Afterlife from Lucasarts
  2. Discworld I.-II. and Final Fantasy VIII. share the same spot
  3. Master of Orion 2 (and its de facto remake, Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars)
  4. Impressions Games’s Pharaoh (and the expansion pack, Cleopatra: Queen of the Nile) and Zeus: Master of Olympus (and the expansion pack, Poseidon: Master of Atlantis ) both share the same place
  5. SW:ToR and AION, like thr above, share the same spot
  1. Dungeon Keeper
  2. Starcraft 2
  3. Counter-Strike, multiple versions (excluding Source and Condition Zero)
  4. Age of Wonders
  5. Battlerite & Bloodline Champions (same thing different look)
  6. Warcraft 3
  7. League of Legends
  8. Heroes of the Storm
  9. Pre-1.10 Diablo 2
  10. Path of Exile

Bonus: Scorched Earth for childhood nostalgia. Sitting behind a single computer with my brother and 8 of our friends all eagerly waiting for our turn is something even future children will likely never get to replicate.

No specific order:

Most enjoyed: WoW

Dungeon Keeper
SSX3
Burnout
Ratchet and Clank
Myst
Mario
Mass Effect
Devil May Cry

All in it’s time, don’t think I would enjoy all if I played them now ;p

2 Likes

I will stick to 7 games in no particular order but they are milestones in my life

Alan Wake
Phantasy Star Online
Vandal Hearts
Diablo 2
Breath of Fire : Dragon Quarter
Wild Arms 3
Final Fantasy X

1 Like

Oooh, lot to choose from there…

I mean Final Fantasy VII obviously… sure, the graphics were dog awful, but the cinematics were good, and the Sephiroth theme still gives me goosebumps, not the ‘One winged Angel’ one, the one that played when he turned up and was just Sephiroth at you.

The Legacy of Kain series. All of them were just amazing, the character progression as well and the concept of the one where you were playing both Kain and Raziel on alternate chapters was just awesome, you’re literally trying to kill off your own other character!

Freedom Fighters. Never got the acclaim it deserved, set in an Alternate history world where Russia had got ‘The Bomb’ before the USA, and had just stormed across Europe after WWII, with even Britain reluctantly agreeing to join the Warsaw Pact in 1953. Then the game starts up, and it’s a full on Soviet invasion of New York. Your character is no one special, he is simply a New York plumber, and the first you know is when the streets are full of gunfire. You get regular broadcasts of Soviet propaganda, establish an underground resistance network, and have to try and retake zones of New York. All to a banging 80’s style ambient/techno sound track.

Similarly ‘The Saboteur’ Which was co-written by the author Jack Higgins. Again, a resistance story, this time set in Nasti occupied Paris. Your character was actually an IRA hitman (an unusual take) who was caught and blackmailed by British Intelligence, to work for them in Paris. It had some really weird touches, that worked well. Oh, and you could totally nick cars… Like GTA Paris 1941… It was as I remember 18 rated, so the voicelines were often quite…colourful. That was the other thing, as you started to restore hope to various districts in Paris, what was a very Film Noire sort of colour scheme actually took on light and colour, as if to show the city coming to life again.

So many good games…

1 Like

In no particular order, because elderly brain is elderly, just in the order I remember them.

Dungeon Keeper (still play this a lot, modding as I go )
Dungeon Keeper 2 ( but less than 1 because it’s a bit unstable)
Quake (all of then, such good anger management)
Minecraft
WoW

Probably more but lost in the mist of time.

In non particular order:

1: Rocket league
2: medal of honor; allied assault
3: runescape (osrs, not the newer versions)
4: world of warcraft
5: Clash of Clans

I think these are the games I’ve put by far the most hours in and also been the most competitive with

Super Mario 1-3
Tetris
MGS
Gran Turismo 1-3
Manhunt 1-2
GTA SA, 4 and 5
CS (the original, not GO ty.)
Half-life (all of them)
Quake 1, 2 and 4. Didn’t care much for Arena.
Doom 1-2 and 4. Skip the rest

Warcraft 1-2 and ofc Diablo 1-2

PS: Forgot about Duke Nukem!

I have a top 11 (combining some series)…

• Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (the best fighting game of all-time)
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Super Castlevania IV (soundtrack is an absolute 16-bit era masterpiece)
  • WipEout 2097
  • Super Metroid
  • Mass Effect series (excluding Andromeda)
  • Super Mario World
  • Gradius V
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (storytelling masterclasses that the garbage sequel trilogy could never even dream of achieving)

It’s impossible to choose just 5 games, but here’s my list anyway (in no particular order).

Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights
Master of Magic
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Heroes of Might & Magic 3
Assassin’s Creed 2
Diablo 2
Theme Park
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
The Secret of Monkey Island
Age of Wonders 3

And the list goes on and on…

• Metroid Prime trilogy
  • Dark Souls Trilogy + Demon’s Souls
  • Bloodborne
  • Myst series (until part 4)
  • Quern
  • Professor Layton series
  • Batman Asylum series
  • Darksiders series
  • Zelda, my favorite being Skyward Sword (yes, unpopular opinion)
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Diablo 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • FF XIII-series
  • Devil May Cry, but nothing beats the first!
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Doom 3
  • Splinter Cell
  • Castlevania : Lord of Shadows series
  • Prince of Persia the Trilogy (Sand of Time etc)
  • Luigi’s Mansion
  • Mario Kart (esp. 8)
  • DOOM series (All of them recent and the orginals)
  • Thief The Dark Project and Metal Age
  • Hitman Blood Money,
  • Diablo III
  • WoW (a complex love/hate relationship with me and the game not going too deep into that!)
  • Bayonetta 1&2
  • Baldurs Gate I &II
  • Quake I&II

Well some of them my Steam library is the one place that lists the whole lot extensively some recent some not so recent but no one wants to see a list of 255 games and I also don’t have the time to type them out and that’s not counting the ones on other launchers. Some of this is me just showing my age I guess.

1.Skyrim
2.Fallout 4
3.conan exails
4.new world
5.Ark
6.Sims 4
7.FF14
8.Cyberpunk 2077
9.Elderscrols online
10.Tekken 7
11.Mortal combat 10
12.heros of storm
13.Overwatch
14.CS:GO
15.callofduty
16.diablo 3

Super Mario 3
GTA VC/SA
Tekken
Command & Conquer
Runescape

Hmm, This may take a while.

First on my list is Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting.

Street Fighter 2 was released in 1992 as a sequel to (obviously) street fighter the game stays pretty much to its roots, one v one with optional multiplayer. Both Ryu and Ken had 3 “special moves” fireball, dragon punch, and the hurricane kick. Although the input was slightly different, the basic premise stayed the same.

Street Fighter 2 World warrior test machines hit arcades in 1991, and at first, it received a lukewarm reaction in Japan. When it was playtested in America, it received an entirely different reaction, test players immediately gushed over the player vs player and CAPCOM went back to the drawing board and redesigned the game around multiplayer. Its proper release was in 1992, and immediately it revolutionized the arcades. For years the dominant games had been games like Pac man, space invaders, and Donkey Kong, and their many clones. There were other very good arcade games, but they didn’t break the dominance of the “golden age” games.

Due to overwhelming demand to play the 4 bosses, CAPCOM released Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. This expansion (if you could call it that) not only allowed players to control the 4 bosses Balrog (M Bison in Japan) Vega (Balrog in Japan), Sagat (Unchanged), and M Bison (Vega in Japan) but it also tweaked the original 8 fighters. For example, Ryu was given faster fireballs, but still not as fast as Sagat’s Tiger Shots, was given a more powerful hurricane kick that knocked down in one hit, and his dragon punch rose in the air in a straight line. With Ken he was given a slower fireball, his hurricane kick was given the ability to hit faster while it spun kicker and shorter, but the main distance was his dragon punch, which had a further range in the air, but sacrificed power, and made him more vulnerable if he missed. The biggest change however was the addition of mirror matches, where two people could play as the same character. To help, CAPCOM added a new colour palette to each character.

Champion edition was also notorious for being hacked, hackers could have your fighter fill the entire screen with sonic booms, your dragon punch would shoot across the screen horizontally, E Honda could move across the screen and bash you to death with his hundred hand slap.

To counter this CAPCOM released the best version of Street Fighter there ever will be, and has earned CAPCOM millions of dollars. Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting sped up the fighting to breakneck speed, and new moves were added. Dhalsim could now teleport, Zangief had a faster spinning lariat, and Chun Li was given a fireball, which while utterly ineffective in HF, would go on to be widely expanded on in later games. It also benefited from being the definitive version of the incredibly popular original Street Fighter 2, my local arcade was filled every day with people waiting for their chance to play.

(Souldefiler at one point reigned as the best Street fighter 2 Player in the unofficial Scotland east coast arcade rankings for 6 months)

No fighting game in my opinion has bested Street fighter 2 Hyper Fighting, even after its release decades later, it still holds an almost mythical status amongst gamers my age and gaming life.

Quake 3 Arena (Q3 Team Arena) (PC Dreamcast)

Ask a gamer what game the game development studio id is most well known for to any gamer who knows their studios and the answer will invariably be “oh the guys who made Doom”. Doom in itself was a semi-sequel to Wolfenstein, in fact, according to id canon before the 2016 reboot DoomGuy (as he was known then) was related to BJ Blaskowitz, the protagonist of Wolfenstein. Doom completely changed PC gaming on its release, its mind-blowing visuals, and the hectic gameplay was an instant hit. Doom 2 was to be even more popular and it seemed DOOM would be dominating PC gaming for years to come.

Then id teased Quake, and it’s (at the time) an incredible new feature.

Mouselook.

Id also very wisely kept Quake well away from the Doom universe, going with a Lovecraftian theme, and a sci-fi theme with Quake 2, where players first encountered The Strogg.

Having seen how incredibly popular multiplayer had been with Doom and especially Quake when Unreal Tournament was released which focused solely on multiplayer, id developed Quake 3 Arena to grab a slice of the pie. And what a slice they grabbed, with it’s easier to get into mechanics, and drawing on its expertise with established shooters, it could be argued Quake 3 surpassed Unreal. A vast library of avatars most if not all with different skins, a wide range of weaponry, easy to traverse and explore arenas, and most important of all, fast, brutal, unforgiving yet at the same time, easy to get into gameplay.

Most games need a long and involved intro to how the game works. Not Quake 3. Soon as you spawn, you are immediately given a machine gun, and a robotic voice bellows “WELCOME TO QUAKE 3 ARENA. GLADIATOR’S GOAL IS TO GET THE MOST KILLS OR FRAGS”

You then move forward to run over and pick up your first weapon, a shotgun. Automatically equipping it, you then walk through the portal, and again you are told “Hunt down Crash to win the arena”

That’s it. You now know what to do, and the game doesn’t change it. if it moves. Shoot at it till it dies. Of course, your opponents arent going to simply stand there and let you shoot them. Oh good lord no. They’re going to fight back. And a lot of times, have you exploding into a squelchy pile of red mist while running past you celebrating with their taunt emote.

Quake 3 Arena is one of my top 3 all-time favourite games because it was the first game to introduce me to online gaming. Many, MANY hours were wasted on Quake 3 with friends as we fragged each other for literally… hours. Incredibly, and one of the first-ever instances of cross-platform play, the Dreamcast version allowed some level of PC interaction, although most Dreamcast players were at a crushing disadvantage, as the keyboard and mouse peripherals were not yet mainstream for the Dreamcast. There is no comparison in a frenetic Quake 3 match with keyboard and mouse vs controller.

The Dreamcast version is widely emulated and modded by the PC community because it arguably had better soundtracks.

For example, the training level with Crash didn’t have a soundtrack.

Dreamcast had this.

With this in your ears, and a floating shotgun in front of you. you know what to do immediately.

Also worth noticing, Quake 3 arena had possibly the best sounding shotgun in gaming.

Phantasy Star Online. (Dreamcast).

Aside from the fact it was great fun to play, the simple reason it is in my top 3 is simple. i met my wife of 17 years on PSO.

Reason enough.

Quake 3 Arena Training room with Crash, PC with Dreamcast mod used.
(Yes it’s me playing. Haven’t played anything on Steam for a bit, forgive the updating…)

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting, again me playing, Ryu playthrough with no lost rounds.

Yes HoMM would be there for me as well. 4 is my fav probably. I like soloing with hero archer (general) personally. :slight_smile:

As for top 5, there’s more than 5 idk if i could decide tops…

Diablo2
Elder Scrolls series (aka Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind)
Euro Truck Simulator 2 (American too prob, didn’t try yet lol)
HoMM 1-4
Syberia 1-2 (great story along with gameplay)
Colonization (! amazing game, there’s 2 versions 1 is classical with England, Netherlands, Spain, France the other one is too weird)
Civilization series
Championship Manager 01-02
Gothic 1-2 (2 is amazing)
Sniper Elites
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Might and Magic maybe too (not HoMM)

There’s probably more candidates, can’t remember atm. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.