Allied Race: Sethrak

Oh, that’s right! It’s another one of those posts! Buckle up, it’s gonna be a wild ride.

I do most of these style of forum posts more as a creative outlet, as well as living in hopeful optimism… For… Eternity. Plz, Blizz, plz. Previous posts include such masterpieces as arguing for Jinyu and Hozen, whilst simultaneously derailing my own thread and pushing purely for Hozen because they’re cooler! (Sorrynotsorry.)

I guess it’d be best to set this out as more of a “allied race profile” than a massively wordy argument, but if I can think of anything by the time I reach the end of said profile? Expect paragraphs!

Okay, so…

Allied Race: Sethrak
Faction: Horde
Gender dimorphism?: No, nobody wants snakes with breasts. Maybe some do, but we don’t talk about them. Makes your job easier, huh Blizzard?
Classes: Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Priest, Shaman, Warlock(?), Mage, Monk, Death Knight (cuz everyone gets those last two nowadays)
Race Capital/Starting zone: Instanced version of Temple of Sethraliss, Dazar’alor
Racial Mount: Krolusk. Duh. (Maybe give them some kind of Worgen-esque Running Wild skill? slithers furiously)
Heritage Armour: They literally wear it. Sethrak NPCs look so cool!
Pretense/Why They Joined?: With Korthek dead and the Sethrak being near numberless (have you seen how many eggs snakes can lay?), it stands to reason that SOME Faithless would doubt their leadership after literally having Sethraliss’s power rubbed in their face. Like… “Ohai, Faithless, heard you talkin’ smack. Well? BAM!”, I imagine there’d be a sudden influx of Faithful.

Opening Cinematic: Your snek is walking through the Temple of Sethraliss, to meet with (the now High Priest of Sethraliss) Vorrik.

"For too long, the lost children of Sethraliss followed a false prophet and sought to bring chaos to the lands of Zandalar… But times change, just like the sands. Through a show of force and faith, the lost children’s faith in Sethraliss has been restored! As one of the new converts, all eyes will be on you, youngling, to prove our place amongst our new allies.

Under the banner of Zandalar, we fight… For the Horde!"

^ Eh? Eh? Not bad, right?

Of course, there are two stinking issues: Gear models and Vulpera relations.

1. Blizzard are not a small indie company, will a little effort, they could modify existing gear to the Sethrak skeleton. It’s kinda just a long Goblin, anyway. They already have a model, animations and an awful lot of voice files. So… C’mon.
  2. The Faithful weren’t entirely indifferent to the Vulpera and I daresay it’d be easier than expected to work together. Even then, if some racial enmity (in a video game, just to clarify) really a bad thing? It could make for some interesting storylines!

Plus, y’know, danger noodles. I live in hope.

~ Bartrum

15 Likes

Sethrak and Vulpera are enemies. Blizzard never forces two enemy factions into the same faction… They would be joining the alliance.

6 Likes

Ye no more allied races, they already added a couple too many(plus I do think they were bit of a mistake, now everyone wants everything to be an allied races).
Also why would they join horde, got help from alliance too and had no issues with them.

But honestly Blizz should just focus on the existing races, make that customization really worth it.

2 Likes

Ignoring the typo of “snek”…I wanna see snakes walking!

Yeah, this is a key point. Plus Vulpera Hunters get snake pets as default which would be a weird enslavement of another playable race.

Whilst I appreciate your viewpoint, I can’t say that I agree.
a) The Vulpera are enemies with the Faithless. In my original post, I clearly outline how they would become Faithful and join the Horde under Zandalar. The Faithful have no recorded hostile encounters with the Vulpera, iirc. They do, in fact, allow the Vulpera to salvage sea glass near their small temple.
b) The Horde have an entire storyline with them, gaining their trust. The Alliance have a 5 minute version of this, followed by swiftly abandoning them the moment they got their scout (or Private… Maybe Private) back.

~ Bartrum

EDIT: @Rasha, @Garaidh, please see above. Also, snek was 100% on purpose. :smiley:

2 Likes

Zandalari and Pandaren
Zandalari and Blood Elves (some Zandalari were present when the High Elves first started to attack Zul’Aman because it was them sending reinforcements that ended up with the Amani utilising Voodoo warding which the elves subsequently stole and used to make new arcane magic)

Dark Iron Dwarves and Bronzebeard dwarves

Times change, enemies make up and get along.

5 Likes

Do they wear armour? Blizzard will never make an allied race that doesn’t wear armour, that’s why we won’t get ogre.

You need Memesus in your life…young one…

Yeah but they still got nothing against alliance so why join a group that is against them.
I mean most allied races had pretty meh reasons to join horde and sorry but this isn’t any better reason.

Forgive me, but I don’t really see the negative side to having more choices. If anything it gives the game more replayability.

Given the fact I’ve just had to Google what that even means and the whole “snek” deliberate thing…yeah…I’ve reached that age where I no longer understand the youths of today! :rofl:

Well to be honest i also had to check if there’s a meaning for Memesus (Meme+Jesus) …it is not as good as RNGsus (RNG+Jesus) or as popular… :slight_smile:

You’ll never see sethrak as a playable race. Vulpera killed them all already.

Sure but I think the way they did it was a mistake. Making basically “recolors” of existing races instead of giving more original looks.
Feel like it could’ve been done so much differently. Now I don’t think we should have any new races anytime soon since the old ones are lacking so much already.

Snakes don’t walk, they slither.

Zandalari and Kul Tiran were a good example of how to make an Allied race. They were fresh, and even their Druid forms were completely original. I hope going forward we see more of that, but I can understand why you wouldn’t want another pink orc, another elf, or a Darkforged Draenei that looks exactly like the other 2

1 Like

With Korthek dead and the Sethrak being near numberless (have you seen how many eggs snakes can lay?)

Sorry, Arano, but eggs. Plus the Faithful, as mentioned above.

~ Bartrum

They use the worgen skeleton so they should be alli not horde

The fish men in Nazjatar use the Zandalari skeleton

No they use the nelf skeleton