Alternative Voice Over Options for Players

I already submitted this in-game as suggestion but I wanted to post it here to share.

With upcoming customization options. I think it would be cool if there will be alternative voice over options for each race for player characters in the future. I think this would bring more variety, instead of single, fixed voice over for each race. For example: Female Void Elves have a deep tone by default, but I would like a younger, cute voice option.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

Would be nice, but I donā€™t think this is something Blizzard would ever do at this point.

OP i hear there is this game called ESO for you.

Everything has tons of more dialogue than wowā€™s collection of expansions combined. Even your player character has different voices and has all sort of variety tones too!

Might wanna go play that instead.

Yeah, I just thought Iā€™d pass this here. Itā€™s not bad to have hope though, I donā€™t think voice over is too costly anyway.

And yeah, I know there are other games that offer different customization options like alternative voice over, thanks for the suggestion. However, my point here is I would like to see this in WoW, instead of playing the other games that have these features.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like a gnome with the voice of James Earl Jones. Especially for the /train emote.

2 Likes

I agree. There are some race/gender combinations I just canā€™t play because of the voice.

There is quite a lot more that could be done with sound customisation as well. To start with, Iā€™d like everybody elseā€™s spellcast sounds have a lower volume in parties. This doesnā€™t matter that much to me in a 5-man, but when weā€™re talking 20+, it actually messes me up, because I canā€™t hear my own casts.

I would also like to see alternative sound packs for cast sounds. When Iā€™m swinging a big axe, I expect to hear solid clangs and thunks, not the sound of rotten mushrooms collapsing (BDK). Fair enough, some people undoubtedly like it the way it is, and I donā€™t want to spoil it for them, but adding alternative sound packs does not complicate the code, and has a tiny effect on overall size compared to visuals.

If its only about sound - you / someone else can write simple addons to play ingame sounds on specific actions. I changed the attack sounds of wind walker to sword sounds, i hate my stat sticks and miss jab. Maybe 20 lines of LUA code for very basic stuff. The blizz LUA API has functions to play ingame sound files.

There are addons for classic gun sounds, maybe something for classes.

Too bad the game sucks more than BFAā€¦

Iā€™m against it, alot of work for developer and non significant change, many players arenā€™t even using WoW sound, and are playing with their fav music. Developers should focus on balance, voice-acting is not even quality of life thing.

You do know that voice acting and class balance are under two different teams, right?

Developer is developer, different voices is just ā€œi wantā€ to OP because it would help his/hers own playstyle. This would be just a waste of resources, so as i wrote, iā€™m against it.

Atleast it has 10 times better lore that you actually give a toss about than wow.

And i donā€™t agree with entirely it sucks more than BfA either. I mean it is nowhere near as great as wow overall. But it has one thing it does better than wow, and that is what i said. So sometimes, it is nice to return to that game just for that.

Which then experiencing that games said thing, feels like a massive refreshment compared to this games lore.

Weirdly the goblin female voice has got two different voices at once; specifically the latest ones to be added (/doom, /whoa etc) - itā€™s a shame they didnā€™t redo the lot as the added ā€œcrustā€ with the new VA suits goblins a lot more than the old player version!

I can already picture my new voice.

Jokes aside, itā€™s a shame our characters donā€™t say much or anything really but if they could every introduce it then yeah it could be pretty cool. Being able to adjust the combat grunts and stuff would also be nice, but Iā€™m not too fussed about that playing without sound most of the time.

1 Like

I know. They did make it a lot harder in 8.2; it was much more straightforward before that.

If I REALLY liked BDK, and really wanted to play it, I would have to scavenge together some set of sounds and do that; I just canā€™t operate with its existing sounds. But Iā€™m sure Blizzardā€™s sound designers could make a more consistent set of meaty sounds than I could cobble together from other classes. And this would certanly be a lot less work and a lot less bloat than the visuals they keep adding ā€¦ and adding, and adding, and adding ā€¦

I like Ret and Prot Paladin sounds. Warrior sounds far too muted - Iā€™m sure they sounded better sometime in previous expansions?

I can live without playing certain race/sex combinations - I can always find others.

The one I really do need, though, is the quieting of other peopleā€™s spellcasts.

I guess you could have a tone option like Aggressive, Polite, Timid, Jolly, Sad.

A lot of work thoughā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.