Ambassador Zekhan

Trolls are certainly clever about their own Troll cultures, traditions and such, but when it comes to learn about the elven ones, or the ones of the other races, or how the politics work in the world even among different Troll tribes, they could certainly use a good and enlightened teacher like Lor’themar…

…and being taught something by someone else, even a person who is not from your nation or culture, is not shameful. Or should I be ashamed that as a kid I was forced to learn a foreign language like english from English teachers travelling to my largely non-english speaking nation? Not at all…actually I’m grateful otherwise I wouldn’t be able to write on here, for example. :blush:

And it’s not like Lor’themar suddenly became a shaman in order to teach him…Zekhan already perfectly knew the process of what flowing water slowly does to rocks in nature, it’s just that he didn’t know the word for this natural process he already perfectly knew (especially as a Shaman)…thanks to Lor’themar, he just knows now there’s a word for it, and that he can simply say “erosion” to indicate that kind of process he always knew about…it’s not a big deal after all…

It is said that Lor’themar taught Zekhan how to read period, not that he taught him Thalassian so the comparison doesn’t make sense.

I don’t know if you’re just too deep in your role play to answer objectively, but no, there is no reason for any troll to expect Lor’themar to teach them how to read and decipher politics (which is one of your assumptions, not what was said in the book unless I’m mistaken) instead of a lectured individual from their own race. Vol’jin, Sen’jin, Talanji, Rastakhan are just a few of many trolls who didn’t need any elf to teach them the ways of the world

1 Like

nedra are you comparing troll nobility to that of lowly commoner zappy boi they didn’t need any elf to teach them because they had tutors now doubt privilege of rank even a lowly troll chief would have people to teach them the basics but have you seen a lot of schools around troll villages other then Zandalari who actually have schools the lesser troll tribes don’t seem to have schools

I’m replying to Hellaynnea who puts all trolls on the same level of ignorance in her comments. Hence the quotes.

1 Like

Zekhan is a shaman. Shamans are leaders and teachers of their people, spiritual guides and connection to the dead.
It’s quite astounding such an important role would not include to learn these things, to keep knowledge. Also shams could read in the past.

Yeah Hellaynnea is complete of the mark on this one.

1 Like

shamans don’t seem to have the same importance as they had in the past and i bet after shadowlands the shaman will be even less important since they don’t even talk to the ancesors just echo’s

It’s simply ignoring their roles. Heck in Shadows Rising even the Zandalari had shamans advising their leaders, speaking to spirits, telling about signs and the will of the spirits etc.
These writers are so bad at world building.

Of course priests are more important to Trolls (shamans are… kinda off and a strange WoW thing) but still.

1 Like

they been bad at world building ever since cata when metzen went full rule of the cool at the cost of the setting

1 Like

I would argue it started with Classic, but it has gotten worse from Cata / WoD onward for sure.
Sure they did expand the lore and gave us nice details, but never really cared about any consistency or consequences, building upon it, updating the world etc.

well the alliance felt it less in classic since we didn’t have a focus character that was varian while the horde had mr self insert him self metzen as Thrall i only moved to the horde in tbc hehe mostly for the blood elf paladins :smiley:

No, I didn’t even say all the Darkspears Trolls do not know how to read and write, but the ones who don’t, certainly could use a good elven teacher, if their own troll teachers are unavailable or don’t have time for some reason.

It doesn’t really matter if Zekhan was taught about the word “erosion” by an elf or a troll, the important thing is that he knows the meaning of it now…and that Lor’themar is humble enough to go to teach it to another person despite technically he has a nation to run.

Indeed. He is a shaman. As in the freaking elements answer his call.
In the cinematic that introduces his character he cracks the earth open like an egg.
It’s beyond ridiculous that he shouldn’t know what erosion is, and needs Lor’themar of all people to explain it to him.
It wouldn’t be a problem if trolls just had a different word for it, but that’s not what the quote reads like. It reads like “trolls dumb, elves smart.”

2 Likes

No. It’s silly Lorthemar would bother to teach a Troll in the first place and second has any time (he is leading a nation, is stressed out and very busy) for it at all and 3th a island people not knowing about erosion is strange. Even more absurd, why would a spiritual leader not be thought how to preserve knowledge? It makes little sense. How is he using shamanic runes etc. if he can’t read?

I get the same feel from it. It’s so strange. He was shown a lot more ignorant in novels in general compared to the cinematics. Sure he is young that’s fine. However it is strange why a shaman was chosen for such a depiction.

1 Like

Exactly, and it annoys me too although I only play elves and care more about Lor’themar than Zekhan

1 Like

He knows what erosion is…he knows the process of what water does on the rocks.

He just didn’t know the word…it’s different.

Not really…Trolls could teach Blood elves about their own language too. I wouldn’t be angry because of that.

He is very humble, especially for a elf…if he wasn’t, no way he would have joined the Horde long ago…he just see him more like a friend rather than a troll now. Since in the Horde Elves and Trolls are allies, there is some cooperation that is bound to happen eventually, for the better of both races…but as I said teaching someone else should never be considered shameful…

Blood Elves have a lot of characters…when Lor’themar is away, which is a lot of times now that the Council was made in Orgrimmar, Rommath could easily lead. Actually giving me a feeling a Mage is leading the Blood Elves again so that’s good :stuck_out_tongue:

Quel’thalas is eroded quite a bit too…

/points to the Dead Scar

:sweat_smile:

He also apparently dislike/hate Goblins quite a bit as a Shaman, possibly because they polluted the Sunfury river in Orgrimmar too, so that’s understandable

Nothing wrong with that, most have their favorites. It’s the same for me and Trolls.

I liked the WC Evles back in WC3 (or 2) up to BC (Belves). Now I feel something is lacking, but that goes for most races. I would like to see more about the different cultures, their views, lives etc.

1 Like

I don’t see how Lor’themar’s humility had anything to do with the Sin’dorei joining the Horde. His ties with Sylvanas, thankfulness to the Forsaken and need of allies motivated this decision, that he took with Rommath and Halduron

1 Like

Perhaps he is, doesn’t seem to be wrong. However the Belves joined the Horde because they wanted access to the Dark Portal. Don’t think this would have changed a lot.

It’s still silly for a stressed out leader of a nation to have time on the side for such a thing and it depends on how it’s done. Yes Elves and Trolls could teach each other different things. Yes a Elf could be a teacher to different Horde races, like the Orcs are raising orphans from different races in OG (if that’s lore).
This didn’t read in such a way. It was done poorly in my view.

Another such strange example. The place for enchanting in Dazar’alor had only Elven npcs there. Even though Zandalari and Trolls do have enchanters, even a loa for it and a room for it too.

Of course a leader has need of reliable aids. This doesn’t take away is role and responsibilities as a leader though.

It would be almost funny to see him interact with the Gnome Goblin couple (ugh). I forgot if they survived. No it wouldn’t be funny, no.

1 Like

Even in times of necessity and because they wanted to reach the Outland, joining the Horde (a coalition of former enemies, especially Orcs who directly invaded Quel’thalas) still required a good amount of swallowing their pride for the Blood Elves leaders at that time.
In fact I don’t think Kael’thas would have ever approved of that decision, I don’t think he really talks abouit it and likes it even now in the Shadowlands, actually.

Also in the Chronicles it is mentioned after the events with Garithos, Lor’themar didn’t feel like the Blood Elves had the right to go back and join the Alliance, so technically he is so humble that he basically almost put the blame on Kael’thas rather Garithos for what happened there, unlike Rommath for sure…

What does the book say exactly, because I’m confused? Why would Lor’themar think that the Sin’dorei didn’t have the right to go back to the Alliance because of Garithos’s racist actions?