AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (RTX 2080)

Heey so i hop somone can help me out here.

spec.
ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING, Socket-AM4
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
RTX 2080
G.skill 32 G 3200

70 FPS is what i get ingame and that is if i set the settings to 7 it get to like 80 or so.
if i put it all the way up to 10 it goes to the 65 FPS
have tride so meny things out to get my FPS up.
i know wow is CPU but my cpu runes at 33 %
my GPU runs at somthing like 2% som times 20 %
i was thinking about getting a new CPU but i dont want to buy a new one if its just somthing i have to remake on my pc to get it to work.
and i reinstall windows 10. didnt do anything.
my Bois and windows Grafik card is update too.
so plz help what can i do now.

What resolution are you running the game at &/or what is the native resolution of the monitor you are using…? That’s the main thing I can think of that would get you less-than-great performance.

For comparison, my system gets 90-100fps:
Ryzen 5 3600 on MSI X470 Gaming Pro
16GB 3200Mhz Hyper-X Predator
RX Vega 56 8GB - my Monitor is a 28" 4K AOC U2879G6

Typically I get 20% CPU load & 100% GPU load (due to driving a 4K monitor), so you should easily be able to get over 100+fps with a 2080 if you’re running 1080p or 1440p.

i got a asus 34" 100 Hz
playing at 34401440
have tryed to get it to 1920
and that was the same nothing chance at all

Not thaaat much.

It’s an online massive multiplayer game, sometimes it’s not your hardware that holds you back.

Do some monitoring, benchmarking prior to any upgrades if any.

1. Go to some old and barely visited zone and check FPS. I pick Stonard and set the fov on the tavern. FPS should be vastly higher than in BfA zones
  2. Go to Karazan raid. Go up stairs aggro but do not kill all the mobs in the two rooms, then move up and go in front of theater stage, wait for all mobs to come to you and start attacking: this simulates raid performance (mob quantity matters). Check all of your system parameters, activity as it can be throughput limited (RAM, VRAM, something with CPU, system latency via LatencyMon and alike).
  3. Kill all ads, pick up loot and wait few seconds for all of them to despawn: get the FPS measurement as a reference (higher than when in combat, sometimes by a lot if something was impairing in-combat performance).
  4. Go to Dalaran Legion, get on a flying mount and fly around the circular street on very low altitude observing FPS - in some areas it will be lower than in others. Check if there will be any significant drop.
  5. Go to Xibala cave Zuldazar (azerite quests pops there) and put as much “fog” in your FOV as possible - check if it will drop FPS - some GPUs will be hit on the pixel fill rate / VRAM bandwidth with those effects although RTX 2080 shouldn’t get clogged by it. Cave no fog should be very high FPS, where as Cave with fog should be proportionally lower (the more GPU has bandwidth problems).

Also disable in-game FPS limiter for this, while when playing set it to 100 FPS to match your display.

I did such benchmarking some time ago - https://rk.edu.pl/en/benchmarking-and-analyzing-world-warcraft-performance/ and I’m planning to add i5-9400F and Ryzen 5 3500X “soon”.

Your FPS are fine for your CPU.
The 2nd gen Ryzen do not have great IPC.
The 3rd gen Ryzen got an IPC upgrade of about 15-20%.
But still Intel is king in terms of singlethreading IPC.

WoW is very CPU limited and because of it’s old engine only uses about 2-3 threads (one main thread basically with some audio and stuff on others).

I upgraded to a Ryzen 3900x and at settings 10 i can still drop below 90 easily while questing and below 60 while raiding.

Nope, some third gen Ryzens have highest single threaded results in like Cinebench. In gaming, where it matters, 9900K wins with lower latency within the CPU.
https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

Performance improvement is not equal to IPC improvement. To get IPC improvement you would have to run CPUs at the same core count at the same frequency with same memory and storage configuration that also could not impair the comparison for any of the systems. And still if like memory management changes then you can be comparing changes to it rather than CPU core IPC change.

Various things.

1. Update AMD drivers, latest chipset will have CPU drivers with new microcode that has fixes, security patches and stuff.

2. I assume Windows 10 is updated to latest version so that it can prioritise cores properly.

3. If using AMD Ryzen Master software, do not use Game Mode, that’s the Threadripper, Epyc cpu’s only and halves your cores available to you.

4. Check your bios as you may have 3200 ram but it will not run at that speed until you set up D.O.C.P settings, that has to be turned on, otherwise the ram will run at 2100mhz or less, it’s basically halve the speed you put in.

But you should be getting far higher frame rates with that cpu. The only issue I can think of is that cpu temps could be throttling it down but not seen numbers there so that’s just a guess.

Got same motherboard with latest bios updated with new microcode, 2700x and a 2080ti, game runs fine.

Other things that can affect FPS are addons, especially those ones that constantly update data. Disabling those will gain some fps here and there.

my PC is full uptodate tryed just now to update it.
and bot my Ram speed up to 2666. thats what it wil run at.
have tryed to take all my addons off didnt do anything.
i have Ryzen Master, tryed Game mode but ny pc didnt want to start up after that so.
thats not on.

Hmm. What’s the cpu temps like then?

And as in updated, you’ve got the latest bios/uefi for your motherboard?

my CPu Temps are 50. to 60 i think it was.
yeah update my Bios too

I think it’s the monitor, that’s basically two monitors with the width resolution and that’s going to affect performance in WoW no matter AMD or Intel cpu if you’re trying to run at that.

Might see some improvement if you went to a i9 9900k or a Ryzen 9 3950x but WoW isn’t that good to run on a ultra wide monitor.

I’m getting 100+ fps with my 2700x and 2080ti but I’m using 2560x1440 at level 7. Same motherboard as well as you with corsair vengence rgb pro 3200mhz. Had to reduce it down to 2600 though as Ryzen2 doesn’t like anything above a certain speed. But should be good for 3rd or 4th gen ryzen when it comes.

Latest bios for the board is 5406, which comes with AMD AGESA Combo AM4 1.0.0.4 microcode for better performance for the cpu, patches and security fixes. That bios was released in 13th Nov 2019.

But it’s a guess but it could be the amount of pixels your card has to push due to it’s width.

No idea I’m afraid, sorry about that.

well i have 2 * 34"
but i am only useing one for gameing wow. the orther for somting else.
and i tryed to take the orther one off and then take it down to 1980*1080
didnt do anything. tryed to run it at a 24" nothing again
i think its my CPU that just dont run wow as great as it coud.

Like i said, WoW is VERY CPU limited and does not make use of many cores, just high clocks and IPC.

You can’t generalize FPS in WoW. There is no such thing as “i have 100 FPS in WoW”.
It depends strongly on the situation, are you questing, which zone… are you in a dungeon, or raid… worldboss… or in the main hub of your faction?
Even at setting 1 you will not have 100 FPS in demanding situations.

Exactly.

That’s an exageration. The game isn’t limited that much by the CPU, nor does it has to rely on single core. There is way more to it like latency, available bandwidth and the server side of the game as well.

WoW is very heavily dependant on the CPU to do work that newer games pass off to the GPU; pretty much all a more powerful GPU does with WoW is allow for better quality/performance with 2010-or-later panel resolutions.

WoW works best with high, single-core IPC; add in that they expanded/improved multi-thread performance (a bit) a while back & you have the current state of play.

As long as your GPU is best suited to the native resolution of your panel, getting the best CPU you can afford - and optimising your RAM speed (eg: 3200+ for Ryzen), too - will always give your machine the best chance it can get for output.

1 Like

Sorry, that is just misleading… because of comments like that people bought alot of AMD FX CPUs back then and then the forums were full of low fps complaints :smiley:

That’s bit of an extreeme case. We aren’t suggesting using 10W tablet Intel chips or AMD very bad very old stuff. Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 or anything from Skylake up that has the clocks and cores just must run the game at a good rate. Lower SKUs can see some limitations in most demanding moments but it must work overall.

The game has other problems (that usually aren’t easy to reproduce on other non-specific systems) as there are posts of people with even i9-9900K or RTX 2080Ti that get some problems with the game. On patch day and then on raid opening forums will be filled with some posts where good hardware suddenly has problems.

Of course, never raid on a patch day :stuck_out_tongue:
But that is mostly because of problems with addons and some unoptimized raid bosses (e.g. the Azshara encounter room at release).

PS: fast RAM, especially with a Ryzen is very important for high FPS in WoW.
Somehow my RAM was clocked down to 2133 even though the XMP Profile was loaded in the UEFI, i was already wondering why my FPS were so low suddenly.
It should run at 3600Mhz normally, the difference in FPS was at least 20 FPS, that’s crazy :smiley:

That seems to be the default behavior - it doesn’t uses XMP unless manually selected.

BTW I’m making a i5 9400F and R5 3500X benchmark that will include WoW :wink: Followup to my first series of benchmarks on lower tier hardware.

It was selected and running at 3600Mhz after i upgraded my PC.
But somehow my UEFI seemed to bug out and it ran at 2133 for a few days until i checked the speed with CPU-Z again.