An important question

A thread was closed before I got an answer to a very important question…

I heard that “TSM” uses autobuy and is thus bannable.
If this refers to TradeSkillMaster, isn’t it available in Curseforge? I somehow assumed all addons there are legit and break no rules. And no, I don’t use it myself.

I will not post anything from the original thread, that is not relevant here but my question about the legitimacy of Curseforge definitely is.

Blizzard will not answer about specific addons but since that addon can auto buy items then that is considered automation and therefore botting.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I was also under the impression that add-ons are safe to use because they can only do what is allowed by blizzards API.

Apparently I had some rose tinted glasses on considering Curseforge as I was convinced I can’t get problems when using it. Well, time to uninstall, perhaps a lot more than Curse.

Using addons, which uses the game’s interface’s code (LUA) is not against the code of conduct. :slight_smile:

If the developers deem an addon to be exploitative or against the spirit of the game (which has happened in the past), they’d usually find ways to limit or prevent their use.

I’ll keep this thread opened as long as it remains on this topic. Thank you!

2 Likes

I use two AH macros

/click BrowseBuyoutButton
/click StaticPopup1Button1

and

/click BrowseSearchButton

to search and buy from the AH, since TSM does the search AND the buying with no input from the player, apart from the initial setup then I assume it’s against the rules, but this has not been confirmed by anyone at Blizzard.

I used Auctionator until today because it made selling stacks of 50 different herbs so much easier. I have no idea if that addon has any automated features as I never tried to find those. Hopefully not.

I use that addon too but since all the buying is done by the player I think it’s fine.

I do have to add that it’s my personal opinion in my posts and not me passing my opinion off as fact.

Blizzard don’t like automation in any shape or form including external macro programs.

A long time ago I had a G15 keyboard until I spilt Coke on it and it broke, using the macros it had got me a warning from Blizzard about automation.

tsm does not autobuy it requires you to input for each action, however the addon can make a macro for you bound to scroll wheel and efectively handle alot of inputs for each buy/post in a short time.

I know this isn’t exactly about TSM. However I had the same issue with another addon recently. I installed an addon that has 2.3 million downloads called “Dugi questing essentials” I booted it up and enjoyed the addons features.

However then I started to realise my character was auto mounting without me pressing anything. I thought to myself “surely this is automation, I’m not pressing a button for an action in game” As soon as I seen it I logged off and uninstalled the addon. I got it from curseforge btw.

Of course the addon might have been using macro use for when I press any other button it mounts me. However I found it strange and didn’t like the thought of it.

There are also addons that automate accepting and returning quests. I never thought they would be “automation” but now that I think of it, what else would it be.

1 Like