An open Letter to Blizz

Intriguing post , what is this about ?
:face_with_monocle:

the bastardisation of the English language by illiterate Americans

1 Like

Languages are subject to change our world faces constant globalization .
If you look at what the english folk talk in Shakespeare’s time .

And yet… You’re all so quick to copy it.

Mob. A group of unruly people.

In todays vernacular.

Mob. One pixellated boar wandering around a pixellated area minding its own business.

(awaits inevitable people trying to justify it with random definitions. I even had one person try to explain it was an acronym once. I swear. “MOB” It stands for Mobile Online Beast…")

Soak. To pour liquid over something.

In today’s Vernacular.

Soak. Stand on something and take in the incoming effect.

"Isn’t that… absorbing…?

Todays illiterates. “NO… IT’S CALLED SOAKING! NOW SOAK THAT MOB AS IT CASTS THAT SPELL!”

I hardly think you can blame all Americans if equally illiterate morons copy some popular buzzword someone dreamt up in a Red Bull induced sleep deprived euphoria.

1 Like

from old French " bastard " (illegitimate child)

from Latin “Lingua” (tongue ,speech)

from Latin "illiteratus " (unlettered ,ignorant)

The irony

1 Like

That’s not irony, that just the origin of words

No,that’s cycle of bastardization :stuck_out_tongue:

Simply ,it doesn’t make sense for someone to complain over bastardization of English language by Americans ,when English has been bastardized by British people already .

Also, let’s not forget that educational system was not standardized nor wide spread in age when USA got independence,so i would say that concertedness between British and American is surprisingly high.

1 Like

1 Like

I preferred it during the second iteration where it was more like gentle mockery.

Not that much different from now, to be honest. Spelling would vary, as universal education was not yet a thing, but the actual spoken language was pretty similar, some older terms were used, and some terms people would imagine to be very modern indeed, but for the most part, what people think people talked like in Shakespeare’s time is not actually what people at that time spoke like at all. It was dramatic flair in his plays.

You do get a massive change in language over time, but for example I could quite happily hold a conversation with someone from Shakespearian times, and for both of us to perfectly happily understand each other (Obviously not using words for things that did not simply exist in their time period, like the Internet, or DvD’s).

Take it back five hundred years before the Shakespearian times, when it was Old English, and I would get maybe one word out of three as to what they were saying, oddly they would probably have slightly the advantage. Take it back five hundred years before then, and it would all be unintelligible pretty much.

People in Shakespearian times did not actually speak that different at all, to anyone living in England today, with, as I say, the exception of words to describe modern inventions.

Because originally generic hostile NPCs used to gather in mobs for the most part. Ever seen a lone Murloc?

I thought soak meant to absorb a large amount of liquid.

Anyway I play HotS so I “soak” XP, not damage. If anything you “tank” damage.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.