Another example of "Powerful" GMs

I am really starting getting worried about the people that run guilds and how that affects the game and the server as a result of actions and attitudes. Sadly, recently played in a Random Darkshore HC, where the leader was the GM of Kaleidoscope (a casual guild in Ravencrest). I signed up as Tank and after the invite i was told that i am lying to them cause when i got the invite i was with my DPS gear (was doing WQ for Storm Scale). When i said i m swaping now cause i was finishing my quests before, I got the answer - you cant do quests on a raid group… Anyway long story short, while i was contributing with Materials and doing more dps than his guildies as a 454 tank ( prnt.sc/tzjwoj ), I got a whisper on the last boss (its also in the link) that said u have 30 seconds to convince me not to kick you! I dont mind losing some time with my 5th alt anyways, but I kind hate this kind of attitude, especially from people that are supposed to run guilds and “forming” a community on a server. Being an officer myself, we have kicked people and vital members of our roster for similar or lesser actions, that are clearly affecting the way ppl see the community as a whole. And this on a server which already has lost A LOT of high end guilds, just by not being able to find commited, decent and mature players. Kick the Toxicity out pls.

Sadly, there are a lot of people who suffer from an inferiority complex and go on a power-trip when it comes to being a Guild Master (GM). It is frustrating, toxic, disruptive and stressful - which are things none of us want from a game we are paying to enjoy and relax with.

Having been both a GM and an “ordinary” member of several guilds over the years, I’ve seen a lot of toxicity (to be fair, when I was younger, my immaturity probably contributed to some of it). I’ve also seen guilds ripped apart by older members who have nothing positive in their personal lives and just want to bring down everyone else with them. People don’t leave their personal issues outside the game (that’s not to say folk can’t discuss their lives with others but I think a balance isn’t a bad thing).

It’s taken me a long time to find a mature guild to settle down in (as a non-GM) and just enjoy the game. I’d recommend that you actively look through the forums (across servers) and the in-game guild / community finder and try to find somewhere that suits your personality and playstyle. I have no time for the extreme “you must pull X DPS or gtfo” and I find ignoring them is better than rising to their hate.

You’ll never be able to get rid of the toxicity but you can rise above it and take time to find somewhere that values you as a player and as an individual.

It is messed up and, even though it perpetuates the cycle, hopefully they’ll realise this when they experience it themselves because there’s always someone with more experience or a better playstyle so they’ll hopefully get their comeuppance eventually.

I’ve seen those types of people with random PUGs and they’ll kick half the raid because they’re not pulling some arbitrary measure (which, chances are, the raid/group leader isn’t doing themselves!). I just either keep quiet and hope I get by unscathed or leave but the folk who whisper abuse, I just let them whisper without any response. That in itself really annoys them! Like any bully, they’re wanting the reaction because that’s what reinforces their sense of perceived power.

Hopefully you won’t encounter it too often but if it is happening a lot on your server…consider whether that’s the sort of environment you want to be in. It’s your game and your money.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.