Another stuttering thread

The top video is what I’ve been experiencing since a week ago, but in shorter intervals. It is really aggravating and makes PVP unplayable.

My specs:
5600x
RTX 3080 FE - 527.56 drivers
16GB RAM
Installed on a Gen4 M.2 NVME

I’ve tried repairing the game client, rolling back graphic drivers, updating Windows 11 to 2H22, clearing the WTF folder and custom UI. I also tried the cacheless console command which made things worse. Lowering the graphic settings/resolution also has no effect whatsoever either.

The first video looks like the same thing I’m getting when sound is enabled. I do not have the longer freezes seen in the second video.

From the us forum:

“I just heard back from a Blizzard GM for my open ticket, and they confirmed that the issue is not just an engine compatibility issue, but it is also driver issues between AMD, Nvidia, AND Microsoft. Apparently, one of the windows updates vs. driver updates messed with the OS level of things, and also caused incompatibilities between drivers. This doesn’t just stop at video cards, and sound cards could also be a part of the issue. Blizzard is encouraging customers to continue to report the issues with full system monitoring info, DXdiag, etc.”

Yeah and I got stuttering on Linux and macOS too.

And I’m on Windows 7 which is only getting major security updates, not driver updates, so I very much doubt that is the issue.

Also the pre-patch which brought this problem launched on October 25th, any Windows updates were weeks before or after that… I’m not seeing a correlation.

They’re just blowing smoke. I also know for a fact that I didn’t have any updates on my PC in the week before and after pre-patch was released. Also I reported this stuttering problem that I had the entire time I played on Beta/PTR.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m experiencing since pre-patch.

2 Likes

Yep there it is.

If they have that much information it shouldnt be hard to fix. If you have narrowed it down to that level a fix should be pushed already. Why would they need more msinfo.txt and dxdiag.txt dumps?

but when pre patch comes this problem happen.
these days nothing change nvidia drivers or microsoft op systems…

i dont believe driver issue. they dont do anything because they care more important things imo world first race, class balance… v.s

Just to debunk the “updated drivers are causing the stutter” claim I rolled back my PC to an old backup from early September when Shadowlands was playing fine without this constant stuttering. Updated WoW to latest patch but didn’t install the offered Windows 7 updates… and of course the stutter was still there.

So in this test the only thing that changed was the WoW client being updated to the Dragonflight version and so that is clearly the source of the stuttering problem.

4 Likes

Just did a quick search on the WoW reddit. I searched “stuttering” Sorted by new.

1 Like

It reminds me of how some maps stuttered in diablo3

Something to do with how game loads and uses memory

They have effectively reproduced the diablo 3’s micro-stuttering into wow now since pre-patch

just here to up this,BLIZZARD FIX YOUR GAME.

3 Likes

Twitch clip from Method channel, showing stutters in Valdrakken (can’t post links apparently).

https:// clips.twitch. tv/EnchantingHelplessCourgetteThunBeast-68Vv_MpMKhAfk_-2

1 Like

I noticed that too.
You have to keep in mind though that many players are still using their own PC in the race (those not sponsored by Alienware).
Thus many of them don’t have a Intel 12K/13K or an AMD 5800X3D/7600+.
Other older or slower CPUs just don’t cut if for substantially higher FPS than 30 in a M20 or HC30 raid.

Speaking from my own experience, i upgraded to the 5800X3D from a 3900X and it doubled my FPS.
So far my guild has only done normal and a few HC bosses with 30man.
My FPS were above 60 most of the time, except one drop to the 30s on Terros HC (maybe WA related?).
Some bosses were actually above 100 FPS.
With my 3900X in SL i had drops to as low as 13 FPS while aoeing the motes on Sylvanas Mythic or the Sire adds.
Otherwise mostly around 45ish.
Most of my guildmates have CPUs like the Ryzen 2600/2700 or some older Intels.
They have really bad FPS too, like the streamers you mentioned.

So tl;dr; if you want good FPS in a DF raid/dungeon/worldboss/event, you need at least a 12gen Intel or a 7000 Ryzen, with the 5800X3D being the fastest CPU for AM4 and as fast as the 13600K and faster than the 7000 series because of the extra CPU-Cache.

PS: i have alot of studder while flying around etc too… so it’s not the CPU.
My FPS in Valdrakken are between 60ish to 100+ depending on the draw distance/lod setting.
Flying over the AH place in front of the main tower gives me a massive stutter for a second, dropping from 120+ FPS to 50-60ish then going up again.

Disabling sound doesn’t make a difference there for me.
The stutter happens the moment the Font in the middle of the screen appears and the players are loaded into memory.

The frame time thing is interesting.

If I disable v-sync just running around Oribos with some players around I get about 180-250 FPS. In quiet, smaller areas I can get about 350-400 FPS.

So let’s even say 200 FPS average. That’s a 5ms frame time.

When the stutter occurs it looks to be maybe a 0.1 or 0.2 secs pause, but let’s call it just 0.1 secs or 100ms. So it’s not just dropping a few frames as you might occasionally expect, it’s dropping somewhere around 20 frames, that’s crazy.

If I lock my FPS as low as 40 the game is still generally running more smoothly than when the stutter occurs, so I’m sure the in game FPS display isn’t even properly showing the stutter frames loss when it only dips by a few frames each time the stutter occurs.

2 Likes

That proves tons of people don’t care or simply does not notice stuttering.

2 Likes

As it seems a copy of the already exiting and active topic, closing it here. However please open a new thread if you would encounter some new problems that do not match this one. Otherwise, feel free to continue in the original topic.

1 Like