Another travesty point for BfA. Tauren Lore (Spoiler)

I may be in a minority here, and of course the title only reflects my views on the matter, but this:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/392758838891380736/636371316362182696/image0.jpg

Is wrong on every level. For me.

Blizzard is so out of touch with how the Horde fanbase perceives Baine, that at this point is just baffling.

Alright, now that I have emptied my chest regarding the matter, I would like to know if, why or how do Tauren players feel about this, and the kind of message it signals for both Tauren story and Baines character in particular.

Are you fine with it? Do you like it? If so, why? And if not, why?

Every answer is welcomed. I’m genuinely curious about people’s opinion, specially given I don’t consider myself much of a Tauren fan (even if I indeed tried to keep up to date regarding their lore).

12 Likes

Big shrug tbh. Sending him as a diplomat does make sense since I doubt Anduin gives as much a damn about any of the other players in the Horde.

As for what this means to the greater tauren story? I’ve just come to accept that in WoW, unless you are a human or an elf, you don’t get story. Only thing I can hope for is for 9.0 giving some scraps since the faction war is in the background again.

1 Like

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/624311777496268801/636527516546236433/3e3rpq.png

5 Likes

I don’t mind this. Who else would the Horde send to be an ambassador than Baine? The Tauren make the best ambassadors in the Horde. Hell, even Dazar’alor has plenty of Tauren ambassadors.

As for the Tauren story, why would this signal anything really? There is a lot that can yet be done with the Tauren, especially in 9.0 now that the war is over and N’zoth will likely go bye bye. I just hope that the Tauren won’t be victimized yet again, since it’s kinda getting old.

2 Likes

Looks to me like he’s right where he belongs. Let’s hope he stays there.

12 Likes

I know that Blizzard lacks many ingame assets and mechanics in order to represent such, but the imagery they are signalling by positioning the characters in that way, as well as the character choice for said eventuality, sours and signals the wrong kind of vibes in my case. Even if I were to take it as you say (which would indeed make sense).

The way Baine is presented there, doesn’t paint his character as one amongst equals in the throne room. Much like it already happened with both Velen and Genn, he is thrown into the position that makes it seem as if he is dependent on Anduin.

Would it really be that hard to have said sort of meetings either on neutral ground or at least in a way that didn’t have one dude lounging on a throne above everyone else?

It’s bad enough that the Alliance concept has been almost trashed to the point Stormwind rules uncontested (dialogues in 8.3 reinforce said idea), but now it’s Horde leaders the ones that are put into a subservient position.
It might be that I’m taking said image harsher than I should, but it’s worth of notice, to point that it’s no random newby they put there. It’s Baine.

Someone already infamous for how he handles his people’s interests when the Alliance is involved.

Anyway, in all, thanks for the reply.

(I just felt like elaborating in how I felt regarding these sort of “indicators”, even if I leaned on a pinch of good ol’ ranting).

2 Likes

I think you’re taking this the wrong way. Baine is not subservient to anyone. He’s an ambassador of the Horde, not Anduin’s servant.

4 Likes

That’s going for some blatant simplification.
Neither Anduin nor Jaina were thrown into either city in a way that made them look dependant on Horde leadership.

The former went to pay homage to the guy that had literally helped him overthrow the chick that was warring against the Alliance, and the later did so in a brief moment after saving the guy that had just handed back her brother, sabotaged the Horde war effort, and even fought back fellow Horde soldiers that had somewhat valid grievances against her.

It’s not as simple as some random visit.

3 Likes

He’s tainted in the eyes of many Horde players for all the crap he’s done over the years. It’s terrible optics even if it’s harmless.

9 Likes

Helping to find and stop N’zoth -is- very much in his people’s interests. Especially considering that Thunder Bluff has been victim to a void attack very recently (HM recruitment scenario). So I suppose at least he is being shown to do something at least, for once.

As for his placement, yeah I think you are reading far too deep into this, far more than Blizzard has for sure. He is standing where Genn used to stand and Genn was Anduin’s main adviser, I assume that is the idea Blizzard are going for here.

I suppose there is a thought to be given into where is safe neutral ground anymore, since Tyrande has outright said she doesn’t want peace and given the middle finger to Anduin and Sylvanas is somewhere out there twirling her moustache. It’s unfortunate but that does make Stormwind a pretty safe place to hold these talks.

5 Likes

You lost me here. I don’t see how Baine being there makes him dependent on the Alliance leadership.

4 Likes

Don’t care. It’s still harmless and wasn’t mean to portray him as subservient to Anduin.

Neither was Baine. I get that you’re upset for the Horde story, but you shouldn’t let that make you assume things that aren’t true.

5 Likes

The way his character has evolved throughout the years, makes people doubt the very premise of said statement.

And the way the imagery of said event is shown, reinforces (in a pretty bad way), the idea players have regarding his character. At least it does for me.

4 Likes

You can doubt it all you want mate, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

5 Likes

I mean, the situation here is pretty simple. People hate Baine. People jump at every opportunity to hate Baine. And that’s human, but it being human, doesn’t make it true.

5 Likes

Which is not because of his character but because people want this game and it’s races to be warmongering brutes.
The entire Horde VS Alliance thing is just getting old and with no one ever winning it’s just annoying to keep this alive. So what would have to happen for peace? Well probably people would send ambassadors to make it happen.
Who among the Horde leaders would do better than a Tauren or in this case this specific Tauren?

5 Likes

But it reinforces the view that he’s an Alliance character in a bovine suit.

Is Baine the OG furry? :thinking:

4 Likes

Even I’m not a fan of what they didn’t with Baine and how they have handled him, but it’s clear that they put him as an ambassador because he like Anduin desires peace, not because they wanted him to be subservient to the Alliance.

3 Likes

No, that’s just your bias against him I’m afraid. The Tauren were always the most level-headed, peaceful and open-minded members of the Horde. Baine being an ambassador doesn’t go against what the Tauren are. Again, look at the Tauren ambassadors in Dazar’alor.

6 Likes

Okay, so have Valeera do that instead. She was the middleman in the War Campaign and has a track record for these sorta things.

2 Likes