Any Night Elf lore master around here?

here is the WHOLE of night elf lore in one sentence:

“Oops, sorry. My bad.”

4 Likes

i would very genuinely recommend just removing this part and pretending you never wrote it tee bee entirely H

9 Likes

Seems like you can do something like that but lore wise we don’t know much about princes, there is only one ruler , Queen Azshara.

So it means he was either banished before her rule which is possible but will make you travel the land for a long time until you meet Illidan (more than 10,000 years) or you could choose to have been a magister or some form of administrative role in the Night elf society post War of the Ancients and then found using magic and summoning demons which is doubly bad (using magic was frowned upon, mingling with Demons who destroyed Azeroth would probably sentence you to death and not exile at that society in my opinion).

So this leaves you with the Shen’dralar or an Aszuna type elf (if any if them lived post the war which i am not sure). That probably means you were some some Highborne who exiled, mingled with them and their demon summoning, chose to use other demons and not drink on Immol’thar, that didn’t sit well with the others so they kicked you out. This i think will make more Lore sense to better fit the tropes you are going for.

But it happens with all sorts of races. S’how we get Forlarren 'n stuff. No big issue really. Just don’t flaunt it around I guess?

The beginning is based on Red Prince from Divinity Original Sin, which has a very interesting story. No reason to be afraid of how we all came up to exist.

Could still change it though as I find the princes hierarchy confusing tbh

1 Like

I’d recommend going with a little more light-weight and simple backstory. Think about what kind of personality and type of character you want to go for and then construct a backstory that could fit accordingly. I would also avoid any grey areas we know little about as a vital part of it all (e.g. the prince thing).

Would also take a look at this thread, might be useful for you:

6 Likes

I was thinking of building around the personality indeed as it would be easier to tailor a story that way. Thank you for the link !

Like when Archimonde attacked the World Tree? Guess a lot of elves died there. Not sure where in the timeline that is regarding to the Illidari though, but it was after Illidan went rogue anyway if I’ve gotten it right.

(I’d settle for something less than an aspiring prince that slept with demons, just, throwing that in there)

Okay I’ll try and sort this out. First off kudos for DOS2 inspiration, 10/10 game. It doesn’t work in wow though, scrap the sleeping with demons. There’s no way that makes sense in a way that fits the timeline of the game.

Princes/royalty in nelf culture is a really odd topic, it seems like it’s just a more distinguished version of general nobility hierarchy - which incidentally isn’t super far from lizard society in DOS2, based on the lore you can pick up through that game. You can keep the title of prince if you want, and “Disgraced prince” is neither farfetched nor a bad choice. Look at Prince Farondis in Azsuna for an example.

When do you intend for this story to take place? I can’t imagine who the honor and conquest group would be. Culturally it’s orcs but then 1: It’d have to have taken place entirely in the last decade and 2: Doesn’t gel entirely with the game’s storyline. It’s not too out there, though. His friends could’ve feasibly been killed in the third war, and because that’s the window of time in which Illidan got banished from Kalimdor as well. Your character could’ve been in the group of night elves that went to the Eastern Kingdoms in the Frozen Throne campaign, and then joined up with Illidan when he and Maiev went to Outland. Past that I’d advise sticking to general Illidari history up until Legion because we really don’t have many details of what they were up to as individuals in the interim.

Hope this is of help, and good luck with your character! If you have questions feel free to ask them; either here or ingame (on this char or my mage Debrii)

I think you’re already entering somewhat hazy territory here. First things first, for your character to have been a prince once already suggests they may have been in close contact with Queen Azshara, which opens the possibility your character may have had an influence on her – I think that’s already straying far closer to lore characters than we roleplayers should be.

Additionally, pre-Sundering, Night Elves probably did not even know about the existence of demons until the Well of Eternity drew the attention of the Burning Legion and, eventually, the Legion was summoned into the world. Mind you, they would probably not be banished for summoning a demon - but I would scrap the “sleeping with demons” part.

Post-Sundering, banishment can well make sense but then he would already be a a former prince; Azshara was no longer Queen after the Sundering, and the royalty/caste system was gone. Not only that, the Highborne were exiled, too.

You really cannot be so vague - who was this group? Where did he find them? Why did they call him Caesar in particular? Mind you, Roman meanings have no actual meaning in Azeroth. When did this happen?

It seems to me like you can really make use of big happenings more - use the Sundering, use the caste system, use the exile of the Highborne. There’s several ways to make this work, but you’ll have to give it your own twist to make it suit Azeroth.

2 Likes

Lemme have a knock about and see if i can just shift ya post to something that would be more seated in lore without changing too much (hopefully)

Basically I want this character to be an elf that was supposed to be a prince but got banished and his title removed as he was found summoning and sleeping with demons as he got bored of the prince daily routine.

Prince will be an issue coz while we have the bloke in Azsuna, thats kinda it, would be a bit of a push to claim a title of nobility amoung the ancient Kaldorei of such title coz most of them are either dead in some form or Naga. its like claiming to be a human prince or princess, first people will laugh, then they will ignore you. play it safe.

Your best bet for this i think would to be the son of a powerful Highborne Estate that pledged themselves to Azshara. an estate that has since been destroyed for obvious sundering reasons. as for banging Demons, you would be better off saying something like your elf engaged in slave trading of lower races, and ya had some dark trolls or something. the Demons that came to ancient Kalimdor would sooner tear your head off than let ya slap a wang in em.

Bringing great shame to the estate, your slavery actions would be discovered and then thats how ya get exiled, coz even Highborne have a line sometimes.

(now the tricky part) During Exile, he meets a group that is about honor and conquering. As the elf didn’t want to share much of his past and said his real name was gone same as his previous life, the group gives him a new name (I want to name my character Caesar or give a roman-like name).

Apart from the Ceaser bit, this can kind of work the same, could find an honorable warband that pushes at the fringes of the Kaldorei empire to take what land they can from other races, be they Tauren, Earthen, Troll or whatever, just dont go too mad with it, standard RP Etiquette

After a while, the group gets somehow wiped out by the Legion. Which gave the elf a reason to follow the rumors he heard about an elf/Illidan using the powers of demons against them.

This can stay the same realy also, all your buddies can get slaughtered one by one by the encroaching demon horde, your life only saved by fate as the building you are being driven into collapses around you. the Sundering begins as you come to your senses and you are dragged from the ruins and hurried to higher ground as the ocean riles behind you.

Hence the elf manages to go to Outland and follow Illidan’s ways to get more power and destroy the ones that ruined his life twice.

Reasoning can be shifted only a little and still fit perfectly, Hubris had cost you your life at the Estate, your own opulence being your own undoing. over time you would learn that Azshara’s actions had done worse, doomed the Kaldorei people and ancient Kalimdor, to think that this single woman invited the demons that you could only watch as they tear your friends apart? that would stir a rage in your heart felt by many a Kaldorei. a tale shared by many, but for some, enough to stir a life altering path of self sacrifice and suffering. over time you would learn of Illidan’s actions, what he did and how it changed him, others would take to his path and become demon hunters of their own. Illidan, bound in the barrow dens for ten thousand years, would be a million miles away. but coming the third war he would be free and his following would stir to action, following in his shadows and aiding the Kaldorei from the darkness until Outlands becons, the black temple is taken and the Illidari are formed. this is where you would be, following in the wake of so many other devout followers, eager to take the fight into the maw of hell itself.

Atleast, thats just a couple ideas. what do ya think?

1 Like

Don’t forget that the first Demon Hunters trained by Illidan where those that came to Outlands during/after the Third War, any Demon Hunter trained before Illidan was freed and fled to Outlands is self-trained.

Also, demons where an unknown on Azeroth before the War of the Ancients, 10.000 years ago.

The title of Prince is held by those that where highly ranked in the Highborne caste and where closely associated with the Royalty (namely Queen Azshara), so if you’re a former Prince, that means you most likely, have met Azshara once or multiple times.

The known princes and princesses of the ancient Kaldorei empire are:
Prince Tortheldrin of the Shen’dralar, ruler of Eldre’thalas.
Prince Toreth, Dragon Rider of Loreth’Aran.
Prince Farondis, ruler of Aszuna. (Also a trusted advisor to the Queen).
Princess Aszune.
Grand Magistrix Elisande, ruler of Suramar.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that the first Demon Hunters trained by Illidan where those that came to Outlands during/after the Third War, any Demon Hunter trained before Illidan was freed and fled to Outlands is self-trained.

This isn’t accurate as there were DHs trained by Illidan shortly after the War of the Ancients ( wow .gamepedia. com /Illysanna_Ravencrest)

Illysanna encouraged others to follow her in the endeavor to find Illidan.

I wouldn’t recommend it as we know so incredibly little (the only source is the note in the hold)

Regarding the self-taught demon hunters… we don’t really have a canon source about that. Illidan’s ritual is pretty unique and parts of it include that DHs see the very same vision Sargeras granted him. Unlikely there’s someone else who received the same treatment by Sargeras. Of course there’s the possibility of being trained by another DH that was trained by Illidan.

That’s impossible because Illidan was imprisoned right after the War of the Ancients and the creation of the Second Well of Eternity.

As per the WotA Book III and every other lore source, except Illysanna Ravencrest.

Illysanna eventually became a demon hunter and was locked up in the Vault of the Wardens in the aftermath of the War of the Ancients, and freed ten thousand years later, along with the Illidari who had been captured on Mardum], by Maiev Shadowsong.

Actually never stated or suggested Illidan trained her, she went looking for him and walk in his footsteps, but it doesn’t even hint that she was taught by him :man_shrugging:

Yes, that is why I don’t recommend it. He would have had to do it somewhere inbetween. It just makes little sense, but that is what the note + dungeon journal says.

That is true, but if you say he didn’t train any before the Black Temple, then there is no one else who could have trained her. The ritual itself must always originate from Illidan (either he trains you our one of his students trains you). There is nothing that suggests that there was anyone else who acquired the same knowledge he did (deeply involved with the Legion and Sargeras) to come to the conclusion of the same ritual. To claim your RP character did is, in my opinion, a little fishy.

This ain’t it chief, just let this one slide. And wait until we forget you even said this.

3 Likes

It’s funny to see people react like this is some kind of forbidden act. This isn’t a Goldshire RP but damn some people are really sensitive.

I’m thinking of another story anyway since the whole prince thing is confusing as we know not much about them.

1 Like

Trust me certain concepts are just cursed and you don’t want to involve them in your character if you want anyone to take you seriously. Laying with imps is one of those concepts.

5 Likes

Well I dont think it’s as much “we don’t know much about them.” I think it’s a case that they are named individuals, who caught the Queen’s eye and were given charges, by her, to overlook states of the Empire, such as Suramar, Azsuna and Eldre’Thalas.
We can get an indication of this, when Azshara addresses Thalyssra, when she is looking for Sivara.
"You assume to challenge my magic, Thalyssra. Allow me to demonstrate why you never ascended to “Grand Magistrix.”

This gives us an indication that one needed to be powerful, wise and devoted to the Queen, in order to assume the titles of “Prince, Princess” or in Elisande’s case, “Grand Magistrix.”

Ideally, your better off not going down this route, but instead being born into a family of former Highborne Magi nobles. You could have even been born in Zin’Azshari and your family could have been transfomed into Naga…they could have been devoted 110% to Azshara. You have a bit more scope to play with, when it comes to this.

Who talked about imps? :stuck_out_tongue:
Also I don’t see the problem with having adult themes in your RP, might not suit some people which is fine, but I think it’s wrong to say oh no this bad so don’t rp this. There are more explicit stuff and it happens everyday in Goldshire. I honestly don’t see the issue here.

So let’s say a sadist human warlock pretends to abuse his succubus which is forced to follow his command. Is that bad RP or just something you don’t like ? I’m inclined to think it’s the latter. If people don’t like it fine, pretty sure I can find a small band of folks who are not afraid of these themes without being explicit and having to do ERP which isn’t the point.