Any reason for crafting professions?

I like skinning and leatherworking a lot, but it seems like there is no reason to skill these professions. For PVP and PVE, engineering seems to be the profession to go. Does anyone know if there are plans that there will be new crafting BOP recipes for phase 5? Otherwise the professions seems quite useless.

I make all my gold from selling the Waylaid supplies stuff, I am not LW tho.

But how much gold is it in that for LW? Just wondering if you’ve tried it.

having bis item almost every phase wasn’t enough for you ? while ench/alch got nothing almost every phase :joy:

enchanting got a world buff item that can be used on your raid, and alchemy has transmutation and elixir mastery which makes it BIS for gold making.

what are you on about?

actual item crafting professions have been scuffed into obsolescence because you only ever need 1 of whichever item they can produce, whereas the items alchemists produce are consumable and needs to be replenished.

enchanters can print free money just by having the popular recipes learned.
just stand around and yell and watch the money roll in.
you literally only have to lift your finger thrice.
once when you open the enchanting profession window, and once when you click the enchant, and once when you click the item.

try making any money with the engineering or blacksmithing profession and see how successful you’ll be.
sharpening stones, sappers, repair bots - every “consumable” they produce are garbage tier for gold making… like sappers are literally selling for less than the cost of the materials used to produce them, and there is no “mastery” procs like there is with alchemy.

i am well aware that the tradeoff is the fact that the items it can produce are BIS for pvp, but that line is getting thinner every patch.
i have yet to see anyone use the gnomish death ray or pretty much any other engineer item/trinket…
why would that be the case?
because the stuff you get outside of engineering are far superior to anything this profession can make, unless its something insanely niche like shadow/frost/flame reflector which needs premeditation to provide any benefit thus has almost no use outside of duels/tournaments.