Arcane Elementals -- Where are they from?

As the title suggest I’m wondering what plane the arcane elementals call home. For instance, we know that the fire elementals live in the Firelands and so on, and that the elemental planes were created by the keepers. However, the four elemental planes leave out the arcane.

The lore entry on Aluneth–the arcane mage staff–in the Mage Order Hall suggests the arcane elemental that is imprisoned within the staff was summoned from the Twisting Nether. However, that doesn’t feel right to me, given that the Twisting Nether is a place of chaos and home to the demons, whereas the arcane is said to embody order.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Well according the Archives of Tirisgarde:

“The first creatures on Azeroth to discover Aluneth was the wise dragons of the blue dragonflight. While manipulating the fabric of reality, they tapped into another realm of existence and made contact with the strange arcane entity. Intrigued by the being’s existence, the dragons summoned Aluneth into their stronghold, the Nexus, for further study. The entity immediately went on a rampage, destroying countless tomes and artifacts before it was contained by the dragons, who, rather than being angry, were delighted by the creature’s capricious nature. After years of conducting harmless experiments on Aluneth to sate their curiosity, the dragons sent the creature back to its home realm”

Their little plane of existance I presume…
The WoW cosmology Map list the Titans - race of colossal, planet-sized cosmic beings, composed of arcane magic and the primordial matter from which the universe was born - under the Order part, one out of the Six
Disorder/Chaos have the Twisting Nether as a “realm”, Death the Shadowlands, so it is logical Order have its owin realm of existance, the sourc eof al Arcane and such… including the Arcane elementals

1 Like

The twisting nether sounds like the most likely candidate if anything, there are only so many realms they can come from. Arcane elementals are a bit weird however because Arcane isn’t mentioned as an element, it is a manifestation of the cosmic force of order according to Chronicles
Arcane elementals do not share the same history with Azeroths elementals and their Lord’s and had no elemental containment plane made for them like the firelands nor does it feel like the Arcane Elementals, unlike other elementals, are tied or affected by a worlds inherent level of spirit.

Arcane does have 2 elements tied to it going from the cosmology map; earth between itself and void and water between itself and nature (which interestingly have some significance in real life Alchemy as the basest elements of reality, I wonder if that’s intentional) so it’s not like Arcane and other cosmic forces aren’t already tied to elements

Maybe Arcane Abberitions would be a better way to view them? But that’s headcanon territory not based on anything I found in chronicles

1 Like

Thank you both of you. This was very helpful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.