Are addon from curseforge app/overworld safe?

i recently subbed again after couple of months break and i wanted to update my addon on the app…after i hit ‘‘update all’’ i noticed that an addon had a weird name something among the lines of ‘‘project 403008’’ (cant remember the numbers exactly) after i clicked on it to see what the addon was about it appeared to have something to do with DBM …now…im a bit paranoid and i fear that when it updated automatically it may caused harm…are addons from this app safe to use?? am i just paranoid and the addon was deleted hence that name?

Just use WowUp- pretty much the same thing

2 Likes

I update manually, those auto-updater services can be pretty risky at times.

I use curseforge, I’ve not had any issue with far.

The first time I set it up I made sure overwolf and curseforge privacy settings were things I wanted and made it close when I close the programme. But that goes for any application I install on my pc tbh.

There are a load of alternatives if you don’t want to use curseforge:-

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

1 Like

i havent had any issues aswell…it just looked kinda weird…the name was weird but it maybe the addon was deleted or something…i ran a full scan on my computer and nothing popped up…i checked my bin as i unninstalled the addon and it went directly into the trash and i found a lot of DBM files for various bosses in classic and lua and bak files

or you could have just used wowup so that you dont have to be paranoid about spyware from overwolf.

2 Likes

I used to update manually but then i started using overwatch.
I have not problem so far .
i had never heard of wowup but i will give it a try.

I didn’t like wowup and it behaved like a virus on my pc that I had to go to great trouble to remove. So each to their own. Lots of people use WoWup without issue or any of the other choices that are in the link I gave.

Curseforge has never given me any issues. And installs and installs as it should. I far prefer it to having to have the twitch app.

3 Likes

I used the original Curse a good few years ago now. Then they changed to that twitch app which was horrible to use (I never got on with it anyway). But Curse forge is alot better/easier to use in my humble opinion.

I am using CurseForge for multiple games to update addons/mods, all is fine.

I have a problem, but only with my mage. After a time a popup appears that tells me some or another addon could cause me problems in the game. The thing is, I use the same addons for all my characters and still this message only turns up on my mage… :confused:

I use WoWup, no problems with it.

That is nothing to do with curseforge though, that’s just addons conflicting with the game.

I sometimes have to do a quick /reload to get an extra function to work.

Tbh, Puny - I think most people prefer anything over that godawful Twitch app…

Very true!!! :laughing:

1 Like

If you’re a coder and want to view the source code for WoWUp it’s on GitHub.

Nout wrong with it tbh… loads fast gets your addons. 1 click updates and then close it down.

Literally does everything with ease… people moaning about where their addons are from…

I mean i only use a handful 🤷

I never had any problem with any addon I downloaded from curse.

I love WoWup’s minimalist design. It’s very good and efficient app.

1 Like

Every addon uploaded to curseforge or wowinterface is manually checked by moderators before it’s made available for download. So they are safe.