Are we at a point where we can confidently say helmets will never look good on Tauren?

Blizzard can you please take some time to dedicate some staff to create some helms that look good on the Tauren model? I see there’s a lot of new transmog helmets in War Within such as mushroom and bone helms which look cool but I know I’ll never be able to use them cause the Tauren model is too unique that no helms ever look good on them and its been that way for ever.

It is time for a change, either that or let me change my paladin to an Orc or Undead.

My dream is for helms to look good in the future and wishful thinking make some past ones have a slightly different model to accommodate the Tauren skull.

Thanks

1 Like

I have to admit I mostly hide helm on Tauren chars. Having said that I tend to use crown type helms the most on most characters because I don’t like having my face covered.

Yeah I hide every helm on my Tauren other than the Tier 6 light bringer crown type helms. Seems a shame to be honest and I am Sad Blizzard hasn’t really fixed it, give us a different posture Tauren like the Orcs or rehaul the design with maybe an option for players to use either model. I would race change but I only like Orcs/Maghar and Undead, but neither can be paladin.

Side note its about time we got all races eligible to be paladin. Lore wise its now possible thanks to Tyrs new paladin faction.

Worgen have the same issue, plus others. The S3 warrior set chest piece on a male worgen is an absolute abomination that I can only assume was never even glanced at in development.

Given up expecting change.

Been wearing the neck scarves from the trading post since these seem to have been given some actual thought.

Idk man I think I look pretty good

3 Likes

Goggles ftw! Get some nice specs and ur set :wink:

1 Like

That’s what I did in the end - glasses/goggles :+1:

Are we at a point where we can confidently say helmets will never look good on Tauren?

We have been at that point since the release of the game.

I cannot really see a way to design a helm that would look good on an animal, either - understand that that’s what the task is. You need to design a helmet that looks good on a face with a muzzle. I mean honestly, good luck.

Designing for Pandaren has gotta be a task and a half as well. Muzzle, of course, and feet the size of a briefcase. Muscular and fat and the engine doesn’t support loose clothes.

… yeah. No wonder there are so few good transmogs for us.

1 Like

nothing looks good on Tauren . its a cow

1 Like

Can’t remember the name but I’m so happy I was able to get the flower crown from MoTS in shadowland.

Fits all races and a lot of mog options.

It’s because helmets replace hair, and outside of some newer items Blizzard does not create different models for the two “beast” races. I think the first time we have seen different models for Tauren and Worgen was around Legion, but I might be mistaken…

Anyway, to take my Worgen Warrior as an example, this is the issue I think:
https://i.imgur.com/kP0Urxx.png
Pretty much everything up to the bangs, including the mane, is considered “body” by the game and not “hair”. You can just add bangs or braids down the side, but you cannot really change hair styles. Simply because what the game considers “hair” exists only in the front part of a Worgen’s head

This is a newer model that highlights the base problem. The gorget bit wraps around the poor girl’s head because that is where the game thinks the neck/shoulder is. Normal models have the hair as a removable object, but the mane for Tauren and Worgen is fixed in place, making helmet placement extremely awkward.
https://i.imgur.com/5yTFFmp.png

And an old model, to emphasise placement and “piercing” of the neck:
https://i.imgur.com/reemd7k.png

Unfortuantely, outside of completely re-doing how those models work and then remodeling all existing helmets since Legion there is no way to fix this issue I’m afraid.
For female models this is a bit easier IMO, you just need to lift the head slightly and pull it back a bit. Please excuse my poor image editing skills, but something like this: would already make a difference:
https://i.imgur.com/1ViIPbb.jpeg
This would allow them to classify the mane as “hair” and hide it whenever a helmet is put on, allowing for much more “realistic” helmet placement, and as a bonus would allow them to place and scale shoulder armour better.

Edit:
Obviously, especially for Worgen, the male models use a much more hunched over posture to give them a more feral, savage appearance, so straightening them up takes a lot more effort. And might also not be as welcome to the community. Personally, I think the male model - helmet issue notwithstanding - has always been better than the female one because it at least fully commits to the “beast” nature of Worgen, whereas the female only dips its toes (paws?) into it and still tries to retain some semblance of “cutesy” attractiveness. Kind of like female Trolls, where they are just Night Elves with weird feet and the male model got a distinct posture and identity. I’ll stop rambling for now :dracthyr_nervous_animated:

1 Like

T10 warrior also works pretty good, so does the legion dungeon plate set. But yeah, i agree, in most cases it doesn’t work.

I don’t think this set looks too bad tbh.

it looks good if you are a rogue or warrior I suppose, I just can’t see my Paladin whos meant to be an agent of the Light part of a rag tag pirate crew lol Immersion breaking

1 Like

I don’t RP so I just wear what I like.

My main (this) does not look very paladin like for some time now.

Anything that got a vastly different skull shape compared to humans will look worse off.
Iirc they use the human rig when making new armor pieces. Most races would just require some resizing and repositioning, worst case moving small parts of the mesh.

Anything with a muzzle will require a lot more work to make helmets fit properly - it’s understandable that they cut some corners when fitting helmets to Tauren, Worgen, Pandaren and Vulpera. (Dracthyr would face the same issue if they made it so they could use more of their actual armor).

I would guess most that play suchs races in videogames has accepted helmets will look goofy or straight up bad on their characters :dracthyr_hehe_animated:
At least we have transmog available to us.

I understand, but ive seen they have put some amount of effort into having new fancy looking helms in MoP which seem like a pointless reward since a good 30% of their races will look poop in them

1 Like

Moo

I’m not quite sure if this is naming and shaming of showing off the majesty of a tauren in full flow.

Imgur