Are you guys aware of the Tank Shortage?

Groups can take over an hour to find a tank at +11 right now. This is a symptom of not be required in raids and also expecting too much from them in dungeons.

Surely there is something that you guys can do to make playing a tank more “fun” and more relevant in raids.

… so as not to just pose a problem I also offer a few suggestions that may or may not work but i’m just trying to help encourage the imagination.

1. in raids have 3 tanks for each boss, why just have a taunt swap between 2 when you can make it by default between 3? This brings more tanks into the pve mix as guilds literally can allow more.
  2. Make the mechanics more interesting for tanks in raid before getting to the 2nd to last boss of a raid. I love tanking in M+ on my alt but tanking raid is a bit boring most of the time as the mechanics can literally just be a taunt swap which is overdone.
  3. In M+ The whole thing that the tank is required to plan the route on MDT makes it daunting for players to get into it as they feel they have to be the leader, streamline this process to make it more appealing.
  4. Change aggro mechanic entirely, instead of it being binary as per aggro is on one mob only have multiple tiers of aggro that can be on different players represented on a bar above the mobs head that you need to push and pull

Completely making this up but example modifiers could be:

• tier 1: auto attacks player but throws spells at other randoms
  • tier 2: auto attacks player and throws spells at player
  • tier 3: intimidated by player and does less damage
  • tier 4: super pissed off by player and does extra damage
4 Likes

I started doing 10s today and I have had no trouble finding tanks for the keys a friend (aug) and I (resto shaman) posted - not even at 11am in the morning.

I don’t know if there is a really a shortage of tank or just a shortage of tanks that will join groups that consist of only 1-3 dps. Like healers, tanks can be choosey, so they are (and should be).

I’m in a group with this guy and have to say: I enjoy waiting with them since 45 minutes. It’s a nice group, but is disgusting anyways.

I feel like tanking is boring as well. Played a tank in season 3 and it was not interesting. Except Rashok, that was a funny dude.
Feels like the game has to motivate players to play tanks.

For context then, the group has a healer and 3 dps and we are all 2.2-2.5k rio. There are no particular red flags here that tanks would avoid I don’t think.

?

At +11 you can just press W and still time the key.

1 Like

Maybe you haven’t been around in season 4 but a +11 = a +22 in season 3 and we don’t have anywhere near the same gear yet. This is more an overall gameplay mechanics point though rather than wanting to talk about how hard keys are.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t have problems finding a tank, I feel. Or it wasn’t a key that is appealing to tanks (loot, mobs). It’s a bolstering week too. A friend of mine (DK tank) flatly refused to tank my AA +10 because of that, so I did it with a random tank from the tool.

I do agree with some of your points about the added responsibilities for tanks in M+. I tried tanking in M+ for a brief while and the route planning/memorizing paired with the timer discouraged me. I found that stressful and much prefer healing. I still need to learn routes and mob abilities, but it’s not as mandatory, and not right from the start of a season.

I know I’m short, don’t need to make a thread about it…

4 Likes

I have, you can easily time a +11 by pressing W as a tank.

The question is more what you mean by pressing W. We aren’t using skips (yet?), if that is what you mean. So yes you can time +11 keys by pressing W in the right direction.

1 Like

I find tanking in mythic+ more enjoyable than raids. Raids can be kinda boring to be honest and exhausting with all the spammy abilities (at least for warriors).
I would want all tanks to do more damage (within reason). So we can help with the overall faster completion without needing to pull 282728 mob groups

Find the issue. We have almost start of week 3 of S4. What do you expect? Everyone and their grandmother pushing that level already?

1 Like

well its very short season so there is really no point playing alts when you have to put ton of effort into gearing because all gear is reset since S3

a lot of people if they play tanks - do it on alts.

plus doing keys on undergeared tank is just not fun .

blizzard messed up a lot with how they completly totaly reset all gear for season which is 12 week long not 30 week long :slight_smile:

while true, this season it seems to be more difficult to survive as tank.
I mean in S3 you barely took any dmg whatsoever as tank, now there seem to be quite a few heavy hitters that requires a tank that is not randomly pressing his mitigation.

I have never seen so many tanks that flopped so fast in trash or boss pulls (leymore, lol)

I assume that tanks are harder to play this season for the average player is what makes the tank shortage currently.

will mostly be 4 month till prepatch so, not super short either.
I don’t think the xpac will launch before end of september

nah - season 1 looked exactly the same

thing is - a lot of people were using cheat dungeons to gear up / get few GV before they pushed.

imo blizzard made 1 hiuge mistake - cost of bulion gear should be 1 not 2 . since its just 10 resets left till end of seasson anyway .

I tank m+, I don’t raid. They aren’t necc related so making changes in one won’t mean anything in another format.

The first thing they can do is balance the tanks better. There are only so many vdh’s to go around, many of the rest have probably checked out.

Not that i disagree, but do you have any resource about this? I thought we would get the new expansion somewhere at Legion release dates, so around last week august or first week september.

if you type war within prepatch into uncle google it shows it as early summer.

so most likely end of june / july .

you mainly need 6 buillions for your stuff, so that is 6 weeks.
Even if the season is 12 weeks, that means after half time you got your gear.

Buillion system is already great and I wish they would have it every season. It is great for once to get raid weapon and trinkets without really raiding.

1 Like

But is the season over when prepatch hits?