Arthas was not a good guy

And he fully deserved his final fate. Especially at the hand on someone he put to misery. He was a lunatic and mass murderer and everyone with a sense of morality should be able to understand this. Arthas is finally gone. And he can’t damage Azeroth any longer.

3 Likes

Yes, you be right, mon.

1 Like

heartbreaking : the worst person you know just made a great point

3 Likes

What point? That Arthas is not a good guy?
…thats not a good point, thats how most people see him. Tragic, maybe. But definitly evil.

If he was tragic he would have had some redeeming qualities. But there are none. He was a spoiled prince with a huge ego. His downfall was inevitable.

That’s like literally the point of his character. You’re not supposed to feel sorry for him nor find him relatable, after Stratholme. That said he is one of those cool evil villains, whose story we gett o see from start to finish, as tainted by questionable creative as the end has been.

Arthas certainly wasn’t a good guy. Wrath made that pretty clear, and gave him the usual villain punishment with the heroes bringing him down. But dragging his corpse out again to tell us he was tortured to oblivion in hell just feels distasteful to me. Arthas is a character not a person, I don’t really care what his behaviour “deserves”, but as far as I care at all, I care about the story they tell. And that story ended pretty clearly with Wrath, while SL is just trying to get Arthas in where he wasn’t needed nor wanted for some name recognition. I don’t see “just deserts”, I just see bullying for clicks.

And really, the idea of divine fairness doesn’t really come up here, when the story made quite clear that there is little that’s fair about the Shadowlands, and, more pointedly, when they contrast Arthas’ fate with that of characters like Garrosh (unbent, unbowed, unbroken) and Sylvanas (working for her redemption) in this addon.

1 Like

Would have worked better as a character to play off Sylvanas than Anduin, whose role in the expansion may as well not have existed, as he basically only listened to useless monologues, got posessed and got his teeth kicked in to become not possessed.

I always felt like he would have fit in well with the Scarlets, especially after that Strat purge situation.

Definitely not a good guy

I seem to be in the minority here but I will write why you are wrong anyway.

Arthas was a good man. But he was young, impetuous, ambitious and most of all deeply loyal to his people. When the plague hit Stratholme - which is where his descent began - Arthas had seen what an army of undead could do at Andorhall and realised the ugly truth. Either many of these people would succumb to the plague a deliver unto his enemy a great army that would kill many, many more of his people, or Arthas would intervene before that happened.

Now most people wouldn’t have the will to do that due to it being gruesome and immoral. After all, even though they were going to die, it would be Arthas killing them before that. But as he himself said, it was best they died in such a manner than be forced into undeath to kill so many more. So he made the impossible choice and purged the city. He saved many, many lives doing this. But this traumatised him deeply. He wanted to prevent this happening again but also wanted the person who’d forced him into that choice to pay for it.

This was a pitfall Uther warned him about but he forgot. His passion turned into bloodlust. After that, obsession and anger drove him to ever greater feats of morally revolting things in pursuit of justice and retribution. And this is where Arthas became an ambiguous character. He certainly wasn’t good anymore. And Frostmourne’s whispers of the Lich King and loss of his soul turned him into a Death Knight, converting him.

It’s important to understand the situation he was in. It’s easy to say ‘he was a jerk’ and call it at that. But that story had a thing modern wow doesn’t. Nuance. Many people had to do morally revolting things to survive in war. My own great grandfather worked with the Germans during WWII as steward of a major city because the Germans said they’d stop food shipments coming in if he didn’t, which would have led starvation. He did as they asked, and later, after the war, people turned him in and he died in prison…

I know it’s just a game but the stories used to be good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

arhtas choose his own destiny ™ at any point he could have turned away from his path but he was so narcissist and arrogant that though he knew better then both his mentor and everyone else the mercs or the people of stratholme didn’t deserve to get slaughtered by this spoiled brat

2 Likes

This is a gross misunderstanding of his characterisation. But I guess modern wow lacks the nuance old Warcraft did. He wasn’t spoiled, he wasn’t a narcissist, he wasn’t arrogant. I explained it above.

How dare you speak like that of our Lord Erevien?

It reminds me from Warcraft 3 campaign about him

But in shadowlands we still can´t find Arthas, has he been a soul or dead before we arrived to this world?

How far are you in the Shadowlands expansion?

Oh wait, Nathanos, Varian, Deathwing and many others we killed!

We still can´t find them

varian was disenchanted by fel his gone … Nathanos most likely became fuel for the bald man’s warmachine, deathwing would be in dragon haven

How much you wanna bet Deathwing comes back next patch? xD

Considering we are probably getting dragon-themed time travel, I’d be surprised not to see him, as Deathwing or Neltharion. But I wouldn’t expect us to fight him again. They have enough other fitting potential villains set up.

While it’s unlikely that we won’t see at bare minimum some sort of memory or something of him, especially when dealing with Wrathion and Ebonhorn seeking to succeed him. I’d not expect him to get any substantial amount of screentime.

(Plus he is probably in the tentacle dimension embracing all the possibilities, as he was all in on team void the last we saw of him)