Back line xp

What’s the deal with battle pets in back row getting/not getting xp? Some say they must be attacked to get experience but that doesn’t always seem to be the case as sometimes they do get xp while doing nothing at all and sometimes they don’t get xp despite being hammered with tornadoes or waves of water/lava.
So what’s the logic here?
I do know they do get xp if they visit front row at least once, but in some battles they get a level or two just by hanging around and I’d love to know why and how.

If you have ever seen pets get XP without coming to the front line, I’d love to see a log of that battle. I never have seen it. It’s not supposed to happen.

It is sometimes said that a pet can get XP if it is in the front line at the end of a round, but that condition is not a clear statement.

Breaking it down, a pet below 25 is eligible for XP if:

1. It starts the battle in front, and uses at least one ability, or Passes, at least once.
  2. You swap it in for a living pet, and it uses at least one ability, or Passes, at least once.
  3. You swap it in for a dead pet

That third condition is the one most usually relied on in common strategies, either

• by letting your first pet die, then bringing in your level pet, then immediately swapping to your other 25 or

• by letting both your 25s die, killing the other team simultaneously, and then bringing in the level pet just as the battle finishes

That last condition is the one used by Explode strats, where your 2nd 25 kills itself and the final enemy pet with Explode, and your level pet automatically comes in to claim the win - and the XP.

I don’t have a log for it but this has happened at least with Jawbone in Bastion when killing him with Ikky while two lower level pets just sit back doing nothing. I was surprised to see it happen as I too had the impression it should not work that way.

Ah, Jawbone! :+1:

I have noticed that Jawbone and Ikky usually die at the same time.

If they do, and if you have two low-level pets in the back row, it will work same as an Explode strat, and both come forward to share the XP.

2 Likes

It happens when your front pet and enemy pet die during the same turn — one kills the other but dies due to self harm, dot or something like whirlpool or void crash. There are several WQ fights where it could happen, for instance — Micro Defense Force in Bastion, Beasts of Burden in Stormheim, Retinus the Seeker in Uldum. So you don’t have to worry, it’s working as intended.

Pet can get xp in two cases:

1. It is alive at the end of the battle and was in the front at least for one turn (and you don’t have to use on your low-level pet any ability or pass as Gráinne claims, you can bring your lvl1 pet to the front just to soak debuff or stun and then switch to your lvl25 pet right away).
    OR
  2. Your pet is alive but there are no pets that match criteria #1, in that case xp is distributed between your survived back line pets. Again Gráinne is incorrect, you don’t have to let both your 25s to die for your low level pet to get xp, you can have lvl25 and lvl1 in the back line and lvl1 will get all the xp.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.