Balance Druid Eclipse rework idea?

I’ve read quite a few complaints regarding balance druid eclipse mechanics and how they’re cumbersome, and generally don’t make sense. As a balance druid myself I understand these complaints, and so decided to try and come up with a way to improve the whole eclipse system, to do this, i looked at the complaints as below;

1. It doesn’t make sense that to enter the desired eclipse I must cast 2 wrath/starfire in order to empower the other. I’m casting a single target spell with wrath to then do aoe damage and vice versa.
  2. I can’t choose which eclipse to enter, it has to be alternated regardless of damage requirements at the time, single target or aoe, meaning I may not have the correct eclipse for the situation.
  3. The dots of Moonfire and Sunfire have little interaction with the rest of the rotation aside from generating some astral power.

So how do we fix this? My idea below;

Allow the druid to determine which eclipse to enter by their choice of dot, Moonfire (single target) or Sunfire (multi target), may only have 1 dot on a target at a time. Of course you could buff the dots slightly to compensate for only having one active at any given time.

The druid enters their chosen eclipse, buffing the coresponding builder ie Wrath buffed by moonfire. Starfire buffed by sunfire. The dot ticks should have a % chance to make their next corresponding builder instant cast and empowred further, similar to a shaman’s flameshock. Perhaps casting starfire on a mob with sunfire already applied will spread the dot to others or cause an explosion. Perhaps have a similar effect for casting wrath on a mob with moonfire already applied but with single target in mind instead of multi target.

Then finally the dot/builder interactions with the spenders. You could have the chosen eclipse buff the corresponding spender for example, casting starfire on a mob with sunfire applied will reduce the cost starfall by X amount or increase it’s damage or allow it to spread the sunfire around or a combination of all 3.

The same could be done for single target and starsurge but again, with single target in mind instead of spread damage.

I think this system could do a great job of giving a balance druid it’s identity whilst also solving the aforementioned issues.

Keen to hear what you all think!

1 Like

just remove this stupid stance dance altogether and just let the spells do dmg as you were in eclipse all day.

1 Like

I agree somewhat, however i don’t think blizz would do that, it could make them OP, then again they could do with a buff to the fillers.

My suggestion was an attempt to refine the existing mechanics rather than throw them out completely.

I think Blizz want to make the eclipse system work, otherwise it’s back to the drawing board. :slight_smile:

What about MoP eclipse (eclipse bar?)

I liked the idea of the dot HOWEVER I would like to suggest the version we had in torghast, we just cast one spell to trigger it.

That would be easier than two or some random dot logic. Simple too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.