Balance Druid talents question

Hello fellow druids,

I’m fairly new to the class and I just recently got into it and started my first druid. I’m playing the balance spec and I have a question regarding the lvl 45 talents - I’ve checked online on sites like icyveins/wowhead etc. and the recommended choice for Balance seems to be restoration affinity. However, I’ve noticed that all the abilities I get by choosing restoration affinity (rejuvenation, swiftmend, wild growth) and even Ysera’s Gift do not work in Moonkin form. Seen how that’s my default form in combat, seems a bit weird to me. I feel like every druid spec has an optimal choice of talent at level 45 except balance.

So my question is - am I missing something here since I’m new to the class? How does this work, is it normal to get in & out of Moonkin form when you need to use these abilities? Is restoration affinity really the best choice for Balance Druids or am I better off with sth. else?

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!

The passive abilities work as Moonkin. So also Ysera’s Gift, at least that was so far. For the active abilities we have to change back to our shape afterwards. That’s not ideal, but Blizzard may not change it.

Generally, it’s really the better affinity. Guardian Affinity would also be able to help the tank in an emergency, but mostly only the 6% damage reduce is used.

4 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

I agree that switching in order to use those abilities is not ideal, but it is what it is. I’m glad that the passive works, I think I read on wowhead that it doesn’t, but that might not be correct, since it’s not specified in game - it just says I got the passive.

Thanks for your help mate, at least now I know I made the right choice (preferred the restoration affinity myself anyway :grinning: ) and that I’m not having those abilities confused.

Cheers!

2 Likes

In General content (i.e Mythic+, Raids, PvP, and islands) Resto affinity brings a great deal of help in terms of healing. Can’t tell you how many times i’ve either healed myself or someone else with a Juicy swiftemend, when the healer/healers was busy with topping everyone up.
Also the passive heal is good in the long run aswell.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input.
I can see how the added heals can be very useful in group content. TBH, it was my first choice anyway even before checking online for additional info. I like having some heals at my disposal even in single player content. I was just surprised that they pull you out of Moonkin form, but it is what it is.

Cheers!

My take on the subject is that row, you are mostly selecting the passive, associated with the affinity. Cat weaving is a thing for resto druid, but for most druids, its the passive.

Ideally, as a balance, you should never have to heal. The game design does not require “off healing”, only bad teammates/gameplay does.

The guardian and resto passives are both decent.

What someone on the forums mentioned, and I thought it was a good idea–if you normally skill resto/balance, skill the opposite affinity. Just, so it feels similar. I usually skill cat on resto, but do use resto on balance.

You gain one swiftmend, rejuv and a 20 second/instead of 10 sec CD wildgrowth. In sum, not much. The passive is ok.

Lastly, affinities are kind of weak, but what can we expect from a lvl 45 talent??

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I kinda’a agree on this one, it’s a lvl 45 talent after all. But since I haven’t even touched the druid class before this, I wasn’t sure if I was making a good choice or maybe missing something cause needing to get out of Moonkin form seemed a bit off to me. Anyway, yeah, makes sense to select restoration for balance like you mentioned, plus it can be useful if you bite more than you can chew during the open world questing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You must learn how to quickly get in\out of moonkin\bear\whatever form to heal\sustain damage\run away. Its absolutely fine to morph out of moonkin to heal yourself up. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

^ What Stroggz said

I usually send mobs away with Typhoon if I have to make an out-of-moonkin-heal, it gives me 2-3 sec to activate my birbform again :slight_smile:

If you feel the passive doesn’t work, then it’s most likely a bug, I can feel the difference, when I play around with the talents and choose another than what I usually have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, and yes - I’m slowly getting used to it. The need to get in/out of Moonkin seemed counter-intuitive at first, but once you get to play with those abilities and that kind of a game mechaninc, you slowly get used to it. I was just a bit confused about it since I’m new to the class. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Moothilda (Can’t make 2 replies in a row one after the other :slightly_smiling_face: )

I considered choosing that as my next talent pick as well. :grinning:

The passive actually works now that I’ve noticed it, I read on one of the WoW sites online that it doesn’t work in Moonkin form, but that information is probably out of date or incorrect.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.