Barriers are quite uneven

Was looking at the different barriers for the mage specs, and noticed the actual absorb amount of the barriers are quite different. Why is Blazing Barrier 40-50% weaker than Ice and Arcane when it’s the squishiest Mage spec, on top of it having the weakest passive effect, while having no talents to improve it in the fire tree unless you coun’t passive fire damage. Seems like an oversight.

They are all about the same. They do scale with stam and vers though.

If wowhead is up to date Arcane and Fire are:
…absorbing [20 / 100 * Total health * (1 + Versatility)]

While frost is 22/100, which does seem like an oversight tbh.

Also you said fire is the squishiest? Is that a pvp thing? Is fire squishy in pvp now?

I did find it interesting that you can have all 3 mage party barriers.

So get 3 mages specs in your group for extra shiedly goodness.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Blazing Barrier and Prismatic Barrier both provide a shield for 20% of your max hp and it is affected by versatility. Ice Barrier is 22% of your max hp and is also affected by versatility, the difference is miniscule.

Ice Barrier’s passive is a slow that half of its spells already apply an equal or superior version of.

The only good barrier passive is Arcane’s, that’s proper defensive.

I’ll kinda give you that, only Arcane has the ability to buff it’s barrier, neither Frost nor Fire can.

They did have talented or borrowed power buffs in previous expansions, Frost tripled its armour while Ice Barrier was up and Fire took 15% less physical damage while Blazing Barrier was up.

You cant possibly say fire mage is more squishy than any other mage, mainly because the “barrier loss” that is quite miniscule is counterbalanced by deathsave (cauterize).

I was just getting it from switching between specs, putting up barrier and looking at the absorb effect without proccs. Fire was consistently lower than the other 2. But now ive logged on the mage again, and i see they are within 10% of each other. I dont know if i was looking at a tooltip bug or what was going on.

1 Like

Im feeling Mage general trees need work in the future. Where are Armors and Barriers? Mage Ward? Blazing Speed? Deep Freeze? All cool and fun stuff gone.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.