Basic understanding of the "classic" path is needed

Greetings all,
I need some help to understand what is meant by playing classical mode of the game.

1. Since I do not play often and I want to experience in solo mode the content, leveling, questing and doing some dungeons. Is it possible to stay prolonged into a fixed version of wow. For example just the classic or just the cataclysm that is coming now.

2. Does the classic wow offer some amenities like dungeon finders or we need to go to summoning stones and register like in the very old wow version of the game?

there’s your first mistake.
rule of thumb in classic is groups > solo
always.

for finding groups there are certain addons you can get, like lfg bulletin board

I wish summon stones would work …
They are called Meeting stones in classic and are totally useless.

thanks a lot for the replies.
So can I play one expansion that I like at my pace and not be afraid that one “expansion” will wipe my progress?
Doing scarlet monastery visiting the old capitals and doing solo quests is what is desired here.

I think your best choice would be classic era realms if these are your goals.

and those always remain in classic mode? so in opposite a cataclysm server will turn into a new expansion in the future wiping your progress?

Yes a classic era realm is staying at version 1.13 “forever” as far as i know.

thanks and then the other “branch” is the one with the older expansions being applied…and soon we will have the cataclysm era