[Belf-RP] Thalassian Skyguard 🐲

The Thalassian Skyguard have officially moved into their new base as citizens of Fairbreeze Village. The new rise of buildings are nestled at the very far end of Fairbreeze against the walls of the hills and is called Skypeak. Now, with a new home, a new goal to renovate and rebuild what was lost, the Skyguard can begin.

Follow our progress on our AA page here: https://www.argentarchives.org/node/249532

We will continue to protect Ghostlands as our main priority, so if you wish to come do some RP with us, give our officer team a poke! 2021 is full of chances!

2 Likes

Full clouds drift through the softly moonlit sky. The light breaks through in beams, casting illumination over a small, worn down estate. Smaller than most, and seemingly growing smaller over the years, only a few buildings appear lived in now. The used remainder of the abandoned structures looks to have been destroyed in the likes many were during the tragic fall.

Wandering down its singular, dimly lit street, you find the head building at the top. It’s dark red/orange glass windows softly aglow from candlelight within. Traveling up to the source, two elves stand in a reasonably lit room. The glass keeping some of the light in.

One of the elves, standing tall, in a simple red robe and black hair is Tayara Coldspark. Across from her, an older woman, though not visibly old. She shares features with Tayara, but wears a more elaborate red and gold dress and carries herself with more regal dignity. This would be her mother, Lady Coldspark. A formal title, for the mother of the lord of the house and former lady of the house herself.

They appear to be in mid-conversation. Talks of a meal and arduous planning for such an occasion. The guests are to be Tayara’s mother, brother, and lover. The chef for the occasion is going to be Tayara herself, much to the amazement of Lady Coldspark. Their conversation centers mostly around Tayara promising to cook an amazing meal fit for the regent lord. Her mother seems to just sigh, knowing better than her daughter’s ego-tripping rants. Tayara is many things, but a cook is not one of them.

“I am going to marry her.” Tayara suddenly blurts out. This seems to derail the conversation entirely as Lady Coldspark instantly knows what Tayara means. “We are going to do it on the day of the meal. Her, me, and my family.” She continues.

Lady Coldspark frowns. “You know how I feel about this-…”
It was at this point, a robed male walks into the room. Standing height-wise between the two women, the man is…strangely dressed in a dark blue and golden purple robe with a clean face and an amused grin. Though such expression melts when he spots the glares being shared in the room.

Lord Tandaras tilts his head but decides to not get involved. He fades off to the side to listen. His older sister and his mother both annoyed? That isn’t something he desires to enter in the middle of. His strange outfit or his arrival doesn’t seem to rip their gazes from one another after all.

The two have grown more agitated with each other now with the abrupt change of subject. Tayara retorts in a cold, harsh tone to her mother’s words: “Yes, I know how you felt. I know how concerned father felt when he sent Tandaras to poison me over it.”

“He was wrong to do that…” Lady Coldspark responds. “But you went against our wishes as a daughter to our estate. You would have continued to live here if you had just continued our line.” Lady Coldspark seems adamant in defending her long-held opinion.

Tayara seems outraged by this now. Though angered, her tone isn’t yelling. As angry as she seems to be, there is trained and instinctive civility to her when it comes to addressing her mother. The most she can manage is a hiss. “I did… And you still look down on Brackwater and bite your lip.”

Her mother responds back: “Yes… recently. And after your father’s passing.”

The civility seemed to crumble with Tayara’s next actions. In the middle of her angered and impassioned rant, she rips at the top of her robe now, compromising its ability to stay on her. To the surprise of both brother and mother, the robe falls down off of her. She still remains clothed in underwear, but the strange action prompts confusion in her mother, her brother looking away awkwardly.

“I don’t care about father. He said I was a failure to him and this kingdom as he cast me out of this estate. You stood by and did nothing.
A failure was I? I mastered my craft, and now train in a rare and respected field.
Look at these scars. Each one represents when I gave my body, and almost my life for this kingdom. I bore a child, despite it not being what I wanted, for you. And father tried to kill me for refusing to do it sooner.
All I wanted was a little decency after everything I had done for this decrepit house. Yet you still turn your nose up to Brackwater because we both wish to give our bodies and love to women.
Father berated me with his unforgiving ambition, and you only stood to watch. Brackwater is mine, and you are going to respect it.
You have your granddaughter, and are lucky I returned here to carry her to term.”
Tayara’s tone calms a little now. She feels hot and frustrated at finally venting such thoughts after so many years.

Lady Coldspark stands stunned by her daughter’s words. Unable to respond and only able to think about them. Overwhelming guilt seems to form on her expression. She looks up to Tayara again, but before she can try to muster a response, Tayara continues.
“We will marry here, and you will be part of my audience. I did everything you wanted… give me this…”
Tayara almost pleads now.

Lady Coldspark exhales slowly, then nods a shallow nod.
“I was torn when Tandaras brought your body back. I wanted you to forgive me, as at that moment, I failed you as a mother and simply stood idle as your father cast you out.
I should have done more… and I thought I lost the chance in that moment you were carried in by your brother. But fortune rained down on me.
You can have your wedding… and I will support you both.”

Tayara raises her chin to this acceptance. After all her life being expected to live one way, then being cast out for living another, it was strange new territory to finally be accepted within her home. Her mother truly means it, pulling Tayara into a soft hug.

Tayara frowns faintly, feeling a little emotional. But her pride burns at the thought of crying in her underwear in front of her mother and brother. She then blinks twice… right… underwear. She squats rapidly to snatch her robe up to cover herself again.

Tandaras claps slowly, he has always been on his sister’s side for her preference in partners. His father would roll in his ashes if he knew he passed his title down to his secretly gay son. But a man who forced him to poison his sister for the sake of his own ambition and worldview does not hold a place in his heart. Delivering the poisoned drink to him instead was just karma in Tandaras’s eyes.

Tayara strides off to take her leave. After seeing his sister finally getting approval, he grins and speaks with a humored tone. “I am gay, mother.” Tayara snorts as she leaves the room, leaving her mother who doesn’t seem amused by what she thinks is a tasteless joke.
As she walks away, Tayara listens to her brother getting smacked around the head before trying to be serious and confess to their mother. Tayara mutters: “You always know when to pick your moments…”
Tayara wanders off to the kitchen now to make preparations, distracted by a smile and the thoughts of that Skyguard training session. How it concluded, and there stood Brackwater. Tayara’s mind is set. It will be the best surprise ever, and she is going to make sure that happens. The world shall know that she is Brackwater’s.

2 Likes

The Skyguard have left on a two week deployment that is taking them around the Eastern Kingdoms. Having seen the many sights of rain and undead, they look forward to a nice flight in the Wetlands.

1 Like

The Thalassian Skyguard have had a rather interesting week so far of constant survival tests! Helping to transport an important research item for the reliquary, they’ve come across all sorts of strange situations. From hags with a bone to pick to strange women with wings in the sky and even a mess up of illusions versus reality. Now having escaped a pocket realm, the Skyguard find themselves without their Dragonhawks and stranded in Vol’dun!

1 Like

We are now back in silvermoon city after our two week adventure that took us all the way across the Eastern Kingdoms and scattered us to Northrend - Dragonblight, Kalimdor - Uldum, Un’goro, Stranglethorn Vale and even Vol’dun and Nazmir! The Skyguard proudly earned three hundred gold for a successful trip from the reliquary however and have put it straight into their savings. Now for a day relaxing and then onto promotions, bondings and medal ceremonies!

If you’ve been considering joining us or wanting to work with us, our bonding ceremonies are open for people to come to if you’d like :slight_smile: Just give us a message and we’ll extend the invitation to you in game. So that you can see what we’re like and experience the magic of a Dragonhawk choosing their rider!

1 Like

Pfff!
Imagine having to use a mount to be able to fly.
Instead of just turning in to giant eagle.

1 Like

After a campaign that kept the Skyguard away from the High Home, the unit took the opportunity to celebrate and acknowledge a pair of elves who time and time again, through their hard work and perseverance, have shown to be exemplars of the unit:

Ranthos ‘Wolvar’ Firescar and Felicia ‘Bandolier’ Rosedawn, both promoted to the rank of Sky Warden for their outstanding dedication, compromise and contributions to the unit.

With this shift in ranks also came the very first bonding ceremony in the Skyguard’s new home in Fairbreeze, Skypeak, and so the unit is happy to welcome the newest members to make the rank of Hawkrider alongside their siblings, the newest War-Hawks:

Psyra Tyranea, bonded with the Blue Morrowind.
Valoryca Dawnsong, bonded with the Red Pekka.
Faeh’wenn Duskflare, bonded with the Eclipsion Melinae.

Finally, the Skyguard also took the opportunity to commemorate a few elves who have stood out for their actions through this last deployment:

Sky Warden Felicia ‘Bandolier’ Rosedawn, awarded with her first Rectrix in Bronze for “Ensuring the Safety of the Unit in the Wetlands” and with her first stud on her Bronze Pinion for “Inspiring Actions taken to ensure the safety of the Lieutenant.”

Sergeant Vaelath ‘Cantrip’ Ashleaf, awarded with his third stud on his Bronze Pinion for the “Inspiring Actions taken in Vol’dun to prevent further damage to the unit.”

Hawkrider Valory Dawnsong, awarded with her first Pinion in Bronze for the “Crazy Heroics displayed in Vol’dun to quell the Sethrak threat.”

Hawkrider Valthek Silverbow, awarded with his first Pinion in Bronze for the “Inspiring Heroics displayed in Vol’dun to withstand the Sethrak onslaught.”

2 Likes

A Dragonhawks Bonding Story

The weather was the kind that felt like a kiss of summer, bathing the high home in a careless caress of heat. The grass was a soft green that almost had a hint of blue and in the skies pristine white clouds stood stark against the azure expanse, its contrast a testimony to its beauty. The song birds of the golden bushels, trilled their music into the warm air, dipping and climbing in open ended fluted sounds upon the jetties of the north sea breeze. Cascading, the sound bows and flowers in the ears of the Aeries inhabitants, drowned only by the busied steps and murmurs of the Sun Hawk soldiers as they gathered to prepare for another bonding ceremony. Parted by a white washed wall, the serpentine creatures that they waited for listened and began to grow impatient as they waited for the whistle that would call the curious to the skies. It would be the start of a friendship and the chime of a new beginning, one we have heard before, but not from her…

In this light that paints my carapace so warmly, the trees are dancing outside my nest, perfectly mirrored together, encapsulating me in a stupor of my sleep cycle, unable to open my inner eye to the here and now. I wondered as I lay head on the dead tree gate, how many hues of gold my eyes were witnessing. As they stretch upwards and outwards toward mother light, drinking in her rays as pure as the great wet, I stretch my wings up too, feathers spread towards the shimmering light and slowly begin to dance. I turn my head left and right across the top of the rough dead tree gate, relaying the song of the day as the great winged ones around me began to stir from their sleep cycles.

Thud, thud, thud. Hallow Night was banging his tail on the side of our nesting walls, to get us up and begin to prepare for the ceremony of hearts.

“Awaken, you lazy Heartless. If you do not make haste, the dip will be over before we arrive and all the wingless will have gone back up dark!”

Hmmph, hmmph, hmmph, went the blue rocks all around us, pumping and pumping the great blue sap from underground. Hmmmmmm, went the wingless who gathered our shells of lynx-skin and iron shapes. And from over the wall came the sound of the heart seekers, they were already busy chit-chit-chitting to themselves.

“What?” Grumbled Darken shield, who slept in the same nest as me.
“I’ve only just got to my third cycle!” Warbler propped himself up with one talon. He didn’t need to speak, but instead watched with his big interested eyes as Darken Shield and I began preening our feathers and buffering our carapaces with our tongues.

“Bring your tail feathers out here, you over groomed lot!” came Hallow Night’s angry spitting voice. “Get them here fast fast before I gather them myselves!”

Darken Shield and I nudged open the dead tree gate and slithered out of our shelter. Sky was glass-blue, starry swirl hidden above us, clear as white light in front of your face, and the air was warm as it is before a dip when there’s no cloud between us and stars. Most of our chosen in the heartless nest were gathered already with leather binds sat on their backs; Darken Shield, Maw shrieker, Hallow Night, Crescent Iris…

“We won’t fly up white rock to view them,” said Hallow Night, “We’ll go up and round to the side of it, up red wall, and then observe them at the top of the stone shapes.”

Whack! Maw Shrieker hit me across the back with the swaft of her tail and laughed. “Wakey, wakey, Song-bird!” I looked into her ugly silverface - It was one of the worst silver faces in family: it looked like she had a whole extra jagged mouth where her nose should be - but I couldn’t think of anything to say. There was no fun Silvers. She’d hit you hard for no reason, and then laugh like she’d made a joke.

But just then a team of the warriors arrived in our clearing with their golden ore shaped binds and carapace coats, gliding along the clear way that linked our nest to theirs on its way to Greatpool.

“Hark there, Heartless.” they called out. “Aren’t you ready yet?” I noticed Blue Sun was among them: Blue sun, who was the top of the nest and was ridden by the small angry white one with the three legs.

“Everyone ready then?” Hallow Night called. “Everyone got clean? Everyone got shine? Good. Off we go then. Go and get yourself a heart, and leave the nest in peace to get on with training the chicks.”

We went out by the winds that led through a big clump of flickering lightflowers and then into Redwall. A whole bunch of Red grownups and new heartless were in their clearing banging away at giant dead tree circles with their beaks and talons, working in the blue light of the floating rocks. We flew round the edge of their clearing towards stone shapes, out into the open skies and sweeping over the strange rocks formed by the wingless to nest in or at times to just go in and roar.

Hmmph, hmmmph, hmmmph, went the great light dip. Hmmmmm, went the wingless beneath them pointing with their star shaped hands. Thud, thud, thud went my heart, staring down after the wingless and fearing their bonds and promises that ignore my own song of heart. Is he there this time? I have seen him in my sleep cycle ever since the darken time of the broken lands when the wind song stopped and the ice teeth melted and the bond of a thousand promises shattered for Darken Shield and I.

Wind Song’s words soar beneath mine wing feathers “Be brave. You’ll not be alone forever. You’ll know them when you meet them. That is love.”

I feel my wings moving through the air, I see mine heartless formation arch over to the tops of the smooth stones that sit opposite the wingless, I take a shaky breath and I prepare, following them down and landing upon the rough cold ground. My talons rake the crevices as I pull up beside Darken Shield and Crescent Iris, mine eyes staring down to the Wingless trying to pick out the heart seekers amongst the bonded. I feel my heart hammering and fear flowering within mine chest like the embers of my true breath.

O’ Wind Song, how can I love when I am afraid? You told me with your final words to look for love, but what if I fall again and it costs me everything?

Darken Shield nudges his beak to mine and fixes me with his honey amber eyes “You doubt yourself again Sky song.”
I turn my head left and right to shake off his words and my thoughts, though like a worm in a birds maw I know it is futile.
“I do Darken Shield. How can I not when Wind Song left to join the night lights so painfully and because of me.”
“You should not hold yourself the leader of this tragedy Sky song, we spoke before did we not? It was Ice teeth that misled our direction, we followed as we promised to do with our heart of hearts.”
“But I was not her heart of heart. If she had her heart of heart, she may have yet lived as I would have understood if I was that to follow would cost her.”
“Sky song - he is out there, the wingless you keep seeing in your third eye. Your heart of hearts will come, have patience. You’ve waited a thousand sleep cycles and more, he will come.”

I press my beak to Darken Shields and turn my head to the Wingless once more, the weight of his wise words playing heavily on my feathers. Ever since I had lost Wind Song to final sleep, I had visions of a wingless with broad shoulders and a halo of autumn feathers cascading down his back in rich reds like the sun, ambers like the centre of a peacebloom and yellows like the pigments of gold reflected at the tips of clear blue waves. Though what burned this memory to me from my sleep cycles to my waking mind was his haunting wild eyes like the mother tree before she was felled in the golden forests. Each sleep cycle I would see this creature walk with his strange bipedal feet before me like a beacon protecting me from the darkness. Tendrils of colours ooze from around him where a dark shadow lays across his pap where his heart would be and I am just entranced.

The Wingless stop chittering amongst one another and one steps forward releasing their call into a silver instrument of wind that carries up to where we heartless sit. This is done so we know the wingless stepping forward is the one to be inquired and that we should approach to look them over for if they are our heart of hearts. We all lean forward, trying to spot the wingless

“I see them. It is one of their male species… They are taller than others, I am going to see closer.”
Maw Shrieker’s wings raise, pushing her long silver scaled form from the stone and hitting the air so that the light reflects off her impressive carapace. Her form arches left and right catching the wind jetties and then begins to arch down towards the wingless, I follow her movement. Maw Shrieker darts left and right over the wingless who remain still where they stand, waiting for Maw shrieker to take their assessment and head back to the skies to where we wait eagerly.

“He is too young, barely a chick and he looks damaged. He has never been bonded before and doesn’t even have a trace of magic about him nor a medal. Common riff-raff. I did not know the Aerie were hiring just anybody these days.”
“What really? Well that’s a disappointment. I suppose we’ll just wait until they take him away.”
The heartless give a disinterested haughty cackle, turning their heads away to give a clear sign to the wingless of their displeasure at the offering.

I look back to the Wingless and move over the tops of the smooth rock trying to get a better view of them. As I clear the rocks I find my breath catching in my throat at the figure that stands in waiting, head held to the skies watching the white smudges dance across the sky lights. He stands alone clearly nervous with his hands pressed to his back, trying to focus somewhere that is not to where we lay with piercing green eyes like jade. I feel my doubt trickling away… Atop his head is a halo of amber that cascades down his back like a tail, across his broad strong shoulders, the longer he is left alone the more the pain that lays deep within his chest bubbles to the surface. It is like looking into the abyss of the stormy oceans. I know you…

I am reminded by the way he stands of that day many sleep cycles ago when Wind Song had stood there with a bold stance, her blue eyes like the ocean finding me and calling me to her. The heartless had told me it was a perfect match and that I would be a fool to not go, so I went, doubt carrying my wings, presenting myself to her with a bow of my head. She had scooped up my beak into her hand and whispered to me.

“I have waited for this moment for what feels like a hundred years and each year waiting for you felt like I had died. It has been so torturous. Please do not be afraid, my beautiful wings, I will love you and care for you for as long as I am destined to be here.”

Even though those words were as kind as any heartless could hope, I could not help but yearn for someone else… I was engaging in a cardinal sin, bonding with someone who was wholeheartedly throwing themselves at me and yet not having an ounce of the same affection. That was why, when we went to battle… It was my fault.

The battle of the breaches in the broken isles: All of their good humour had been eroded to nothing by early afternoon. Stopping for food had been even more unpleasant than continuing to move, though progress had become so slow they barely seemed to be moving forward at all. It was a line of misery, picked at by increasingly strong winds and showered by wind-blown fel on the whim of whatever entity ruled these broken lands.

In all of her thousand years Sathira Windvalor had never felt herself unprepared for anything. And they had begun in such high spirits, despite the losses on the descent of Stormheim and those killed by magic the previous day as they entered the battle of Azuna. The incline was easy, the ridge was narrow but not so uneven as to present a real risk for the careful walking soldiers of the Aerie, and the sun had broken through the clouds to provide some warmth despite the gusting wind.

Sathira had chatted to Glorion Dawnbane at the head of the line, the elf pointing out the names of the legion’s camps they could see piercing the sky to the north and south. They were to be in the enemy’s lands for two days, more if they were unlucky in the paths they chose, but Sathira had not been unhappy at the prospect. The scale of the legion’s army was staggering and the longer they were in the heart of it, the more information they’d gather for the Aerie proper back at base.

It was not until shortly before midday that Sathira felt the first stirring of unease. The clouds had covered the sun and the temperature had fallen sharply. With the clouds had come the stench of rotting egg from the fel that blew straight out of the west and into their faces, driving morale down further. They had been showered in rain from the high peaks ahead and soaked them into shivers. The stop for food just after midday had been a miserable affair.

The Dragonhawk handlers throughout the line had boiled horsemeat to make a thoroughly un-appetising meal. The meat was tough and tasted like the bottom of her boot. Sathira had moved up and down the line trying to keep their spirits up, but it was difficult to do when ,despite the cloak about her body and the shirt tied across her mouth and nose, she was absolutely freezing. She rubbed her hands together, not daring to put them in her pockets in case of a fall, and with every step she stamped her feet to try and keep the circulation going. Her boots were made for the forests of the Eastern Kingdom and, durable as they were, they were built for warmer climates.

‘How far to the next base?’ shouted Sathira, turning her head so her words were not whipped away by the fel tainted wind. Glorion squinted ahead and her frown deepened. She could not hide her concern and it was only having Sathira ahead of her which stopped her setting a faster pace. Night would fall quickly here, they could not afford to be exposed when it did, or most of them would not survive until dawn.

‘At this pace, I don’t know. We can’t fly up, it’s too windy and the updaughts here are horrible to negotiate.’
‘Have you been up here before?’ asked Sathira.
‘Often,’ said Glorion. ‘I’ve walked this ridge before, but it never seemed so long and I always chose a fine day in the middle of the day when the legion’s activities were a mere nightmare.’
‘But we’re fliers…’ Sathira said, feeling suddenly vulnerable and utterly responsible for the pace it had taken them to get to where they were.

It was then a bright green light fizzled through the air keening towards the elves lighting up the area where the elves had been walking, dragonhawks slithering behind them.

“Shields!” Screamed Glorion, Sathira darted back into the line of elves, her hands moving quickly to force up a shield of arcane over the gathering, shaking until she felt the united effort of the other mages around her adding to her shield. The projectile exploded against the ridge of the shield shattering into sizzling fel stained rock, scattering over the ground and exploding the shield but protecting the elves from the fall out.

“Get into the skies!” Glorion followed up with, Sathira darted forwards towards the figures of An’telas and Skylark, skidding to a stop beside the chittering autumnal Dragonhawk “It’s alright Skylark, deep breathes, we’ll be fine.”

Clipping herself into place Sathira patted Skylark’s side, following Glorion atop of An’telas into the dark skies where the other fliers gathered at their backs into their formation.

“What was it?” Sathira yells into her communicator as the cold rain torrent whipped across her face.
“Over there!” Someone shouted down the coms, “South east!”
Turning her head her eyes widened, spotting a shift in the darkness, a giant hulking creature with burning emerald flames for eyes stood out just barely in the dark. A spark of lightning crashed across the heavens and everything dropped in her stomach, the creature reared an ugly fat grey hand back gathering fel into a volatile sphere preparing to launch it again.
“Pit lord!”

Horns were blaring across the winds now. “Split! Now!”
The formation of Dragonhawk fliers banked left and right splitting away from each other, but too slow as the projectile of fel flew across the winds at an impossible speed thanks to the strength of the demon elite, crushing and burning through five of their fliers and sending them and their Dragonhawks reeling to the ground.

Skylark spun out in the air, her long graceful wings giving them enough of a head start to get out of the way. Sathira looked wildly around, peeling her eyes from the falling figures of fliers she once knew, Dragonhawks she served with and found Glorion atop An’telas.

“Glorion! We must retreat. Dawnwing is no more and we can not kill that thing!”

The wind whipped strands of auburn hair across Glorion’s pale face, her mouth open and set so her sharp fangs were on display, anger boiling across her form. An’telas gave a loud cry up to his rider trying to speak sense through her anger, but it was to no avail. Glorion glared up towards Sathira

“Blood. For the fallen!”

Her voice split the sound of the falling rain and cries from below, sending a chill down Sathira’s spine.

“Glorion, no! No this is not our fight! Glorion stop!” But it was too late. An’telas had turned around, Glorion’s white knuckles wrapped around the spear in her hands, charging towards the Pit lord across the air like a keening throwing knife. Skylark gave a warble of horror, her wings moving slowly then faster and faster trying to keep up with the figures before them.

“…Skylark we get them and we get out. No heroics. Come on girl, push!”

Skylark’s smaller body navigated the winds faster than An’telas managed to pull herself wing tip to wing tip with An’telas. Sathira cried out to Glorion but there was no talking to her. They would be attacking for trade in the skies, it was hope now that she prayed to, to protect them long enough that she could get them to safety. “Be brave Skylark, don’t let anything take away our home!”

The two Dragonhawks spun towards the Pit Lord, his emerald burning flaming eyes staring out a different direction, it could work. They could get this hit in, just one hit. Every breath, every hour of training, had come to this moment. If they just hit together, they might cause enough damage to get in and out. “An’telas!” Glorion yelled, pulling the Dragonhawk ahead, her voice yelling back to Sathira “Watch and learn!”

Sathira’s eyes widen “No, no no! Come on- Skylark we can’t let them go alone!”
She lowers herself against Skylark, regret fuelling her form as she whispers, forehead to the neck of the Dragonhawk “Just… a little closer.”

Skylark pulls herself in fast screeching from the pain of her wings pumping so hard. The Pit Lord suddenly turns their head around and brings about an explosion of emerald flames like fingers reaching up into the skies, grabbing An’telas by the carapace and throwing him through the air in a powerful explosion. Glorion’s form bucks and twists like a ragdoll, the pair falling through the air like a rocket.

“Turn around! Turn around Skylark -” Sathira screams, but it is too late.

The Pit lord spins and brings about his arm, they had no way to get out in time. Sathira’s hands rip ahead of her, her eyes glowing a bright arcane blue as she taps into her mana reserves, trying to force a snap shield. Blue arcane weaves around Skylark from the bottom of her body, up around her wings, knitting and growing, trying to reach up to protect the both of them. Only half of the shield had risen in time when suddenly Skylark’s entire body is whacked with an explosion of arcane, thrown off to the side. Discharges of the shield begin to crack, Sathira’s eyes try to pierce the wind that rips through them, just in time to see the rising up silhouette of a cliff side coming towards them.

“No! Your time is not now!” Sathira screams, her hands reaching and fingers clawing for the tendrils of her spell, hauling what arcane she has and pouring every ounce of her strength to reshape the shield that cracks and sheds from the Pit lords hit. The blue sphere re-glows, growing and twisting to shield Skylark, breaking through the saddle and searing the harness that keeps rider and Dragonhawk connected. A last ditch effort, to protect the thing she loves the most in this world.

An explosion of blue hits the side of the mountain, crumbling to the ground and fizzling out in the wake of dust and fallen debris. Skylark raises her head, her saddle in tatters, looking around frantically through the miasma of dust and arcane residue, her left wing burning from the collision snapped back awkwardly, broken and not sitting right.

She releases an uncertain cry into the winds that catches in her throat as she spots the heap sixty yards away. Slithering closer, Skylark’s eyes water upon seeing the fragile state of Wind Song, her rider with limbs in angles that they should not be and blood the darkest of reds oozing from her. Coughing Wind song’s blue eyes, still fizzling with latent magic, look up to see Skylark, raising a bloodied shaking hand to press against her beak, stroking her cheek, dry cracked lips giving a shaky whistle that is broken as flecks of blood escape her mouth.

“Be…strong Skylark. This is where my story ends. Our encounter was just chance, you were never meant to be with me forever. But know you were my forever and you will continue without me. Somewhere, in the future you’ll find that person I could never be. I know this bond was not as strong for you as it was for me, but that doesn’t matter. You’ll find your heart of hearts… I can see them now… They’ll be strong of heart, hair like your autumnal carapace and they will need you more than you’ll ever know possible. Time will bring them to you Skylark, you just may have to wait a while. But they will come… And you’ll know. Never stop singing.”

Present time:

Mine heart swells, tears spilling from mine eyes. You were right Wind Song… I waited, I waited for so long… I claw myself across the rock tops, pushing my wings into the skies as the heartless call to me “Where are you going Sky song?!”
“Sky song come back!”
“He will get you killed, Sky song he is too young!”

Their voices call in unison though my wings move still, slowly raising me from the rocks, my breathing getting faster. Then against the voices of the heartless I hear the call of Darken Shield “Go Sky song! Go and claim him! Claim your heart!”

I re-right myself in the skies, my heart trembling as I watch the wingless with his halo of colours, he who stares at the skies with his wild piercing eyes of emerald green.

‘I know who you are now… I know who you are… Just a little closer…’ My wings beat fast, the winds push with me, hurling me across the skies, the sun lighting my way. Faster…faster… My wings begin to burn, my heart hammers against my ribs…

“Just a little closer!” I roar into the skies, pushing against exhaustion, twisting my body through the out crops of ruined wingless structures, tumbling from the skies, focused only on the vision of the wingless before me. Nothing else mattered. Nothing else existed. Nothing but reaching him.

The wingless behind him scream and point
“Look out! She’s going to eat him!”
Others respond calmly “No, this isn’t the one. Blue. I reckon blue.”
“He’s going to be the rookie that died on his bonding.”
I collide to the floor, my talons taking the cobbles and breaking them up from their resting place, my belly’s scales heating up with the friction and force of my landing as I slide and curl around my chosen wingless, wrapping around him over and over.

This is my soul I had been waiting for… This is the one promised to me by wind song and one that walked with me in my sleep cycles. They dared suggest otherwise? They dare to stand here and claim he is not for me. The big heat roiled within me as I raised my head towards the skies and from within I released my true voice, my roar of fire that flowered and lit up the canopy where not even the night lights could outshine it.
“He is mine!”
The wingless fell silent…

I turn my head to the coils of my body where mine eyes find the wingless waiting, breathing heavily. I press mine forehead to his own and I sing, mine heart opening in a way it had never done before… Reaching to the wingless shape before me, sharing with him my memories, my pain and in turn accepting his… His pain and his fears, his happiness and his heart. Our minds dance with one another and I can hear him, a deep voice like gravel

‘Who are you?’

‘I have always known you, you who has always been here in mine mind. I have died in stasis waiting since mine egg did hatch, waiting for you, every day. Do not be afraid, for I already love you. It is you who I understand… It is you who has broke the dark and made my whole earth shake. I know who I am now and all that maketh me. I know who I am and all I want to be. I want to be more than I have been. I know who you are… You are the bright shade of sun I have ever seen, your hair gilded with the richest gold and ambers. I have loved you since mine egg day, I have loved you every sleep cycle passing and I will love you beyond the veil of when mine true sleep taketh me to light the night sky. I was told all along I would find you. How could I have known time would bring you to me? But here you are… I love you mine Fire Cloud.’

Mine life has never been more complete than this moment… The moment I was bonded. What could a wingless mean to such a Dragonhawk? Everything.

“There was a certain protectiveness that she acted with, like trying to shield me from the watching eyes of the Aerie and the many Dragonhawks that watched from there. I tentatively moved my hand up into the air and felt the smooth hard carapace of the beast that encased me. With a slow deliberateness she slid along her belly until her face was levelled with my own. She must have sensed my uncertainty, because she placed her forehead to my own and released another musical chirp. It was at that point I knew I had lost, I was bonded. Irrefutably and forever forth bonded to this creature who had for some reason seen something in me to be her rider.”

What could a Dragonhawk mean to such a man? Everything.

4 Likes

(Thanks to irl getting in the way, Levi hasn’t been able to participate in the Skyguard action for quite some time. But heading home for her own reasons has certainly kept her busy…)

Early afternoon. East coast, Dawnsong Estate.

Aelevie Dawnsong took a sip from the elegant, fluted glass she held, although the pale wine it held might as well have been water for all the enjoyment she got from it.

She stood on the middle landing of the steps leading to the upper floors of the manor house, looking down on the dining hall that, currently, bustled with guests, servants, guards and entertainers. The Dawnsong family were only minor nobility, in the grand scheme of things, but her fathers work in shipping and trade was enough to place their boots quite firmly on the ladder. And so, as far back as she could remember, these parties had been a fixture year round.

Aelevie disliked them; once, when she was young and ignorant, she had found the elegant outfits and delicate buffets and musicians enchanting. Now she knew the machinations and realpolitik that hid behind the façade, ever aware of the gossip and rumour-mongering that was par for the course at such events. Despite all that her people had endured, despite the reality of a world that was nearly perpetually at war since the peace had been shattered, much like their land… still, those in the Game kept spinning their little webs.

Perhaps a little unfair, she thought. Spider webs and silk can serve a useful purpose, after all…

“Viladreth!”

The strident voice broke the relative calm, drawing the eye to the elven matron making her way to the center of the hall with a purpose. She was not particularly tall, but her outfit - a sweeping, dark floor-length dress, with an intricate bolero that included enough ornate metalwork on the shoulders and back crest to be bordering on armour - made her broad and ensured she cleared room as she walked. Of course, Aelevie noted, the two guards that walked either side and slightly behind her certainly aided with that. Lady Indranille always managed to give the impression of a battleship setting course, irrespective of size…

Lord Dawnsong, stood near the bottom of the stairs and previously in conversation with a pair of calm, refined looking businessmen, turned and sighed slightly.

“M’lady?” he said, raising a greying eyebrow.

“It’s high time you act upon what we discussed. Legacy is not going to just take care of itself, you know that.”

There was something in the way she said that which made Aelevie’s heart drop into her stomach. Legacy. Heritage. Succession. They and their ilk were all words she had learned to dread. The gilded chains of the aristocracy, creeping eternally closer.

Lord Dawnsong closed his eyes, sighing through his nose.

“Syelenn, I don’t think now is-”

"Drivel. That girl would be far more use securing a worthy alliance than gadding about in the wild, and you know it.

A jolt went down Aelevie’s spine. Syelenn Indranille hadn’t even looked her way, barely even half a gesture towards the stairs with one hand, and yet the force, the venom of her words had been tangible.

“‘That girl’ is my dear daughter, Lady Indranille,” Viladreth Dawnsong replied, quiet and yet stern. Aelevie’s father was not one to raise his voice or lose his temper, but he was not incapable of a serious demeanour when needed.

“A daughter you can’t even keep track of,” Lady Indranille retorted, flicking a lock of rose-gold hair back into place. “No. It’s high time she and Soldanis put an end to this petty debate, and make the houses stronger as a result!”

A tall, slender figure pushed upright from where he had been leaning against a pillar. Aelevie’s stomach churned even further; Lady Indranille was distinctly unpleasant, but there was somehow something about her bluntness that she could almost respect.

Soldanis Indranille, however, was everything she despised in the Thallasian nobility; groomed to the point of using arcane means and potions, expensive outfits for every different day, honeyed words with poison undertones, and a mindset that had ‘superior’ writ large across every aspect of it.

“M’lady,” Soldanis addressed Aelevie directly, inclining his head and half bowing as he did. “Apologies if my mother’s words are a little…forthright. I appreciate this is something of a homecoming celebration, after all. But, I think, that is perhaps wherein the aptness lies.”

Lies are indeed apt, certainly for you, chimed in the voice at the back of Aelevie’s mind.

“After all,” Soldanis continued, oblivious, “A union of houses would also be a cause for celebration, would it not? Besides, a return to civilisation after the drab wilderness beyond is something no one should have to go through too often.”

Not that you would know, Aelevie thought, You who have never left the comfort of the high home, or seen any of the wider world.

“Perhaps, then, a toast?” A manservant hurried forward, offering Soldanis a tray of fluted glasses. The young man took one with a broad smile, offering it up as he turned to the silent, fixated guests. “To the return of one of our own? And a safe return from the wild world beyond the Kingdom’s borders.”

There was a general, agreeable murmuring. But, while Soldanis was looking at the guests, Aelevie managed to tear her attention away from him and look around. She was glad she did so; a few more House Indranille guards had appeared around the hall, some at the four corners, others near her father. A few more were taking up stations by Soldanis, as he turned back to her with what, to most, would have looked like an earnest smile. To Aelevie it looked positively predatory. She was glad, now more than ever, that she had seen the wider world, and had lost the naivety of her youth.

“A toast, my lady?” Soldanis lifted the glass, his smile growing wider.

“How dare you…”

Any and all murmuring ceased. Everyone froze. Even Aelevie took a moment to register that the words had been her own, spoken through gritted teeth.

“How dare you?” she repeated, this time with intent as her fists clenched. “You come to my home, with your bluster and arrogance-” she shot a look directly at Lady Indranille, “With your honeyed words and yet also your armed guards? Oh, I have returned to ‘civilisation’ indeed, Soldanis. And found it lacking.”

Soldanis arched an eyebrow, infuriating smile still present, and made a small gesture across the hall. Before he could speak, however, Aelevie called out.

“Father, to your right!”

Lord Dawnsong managed to half turn, as the guards bore down on him. There was a sudden rush of movement from the shadows of the stairway and then the pair froze in their tracks, not least because the foremost of the two found a slim blade pressed against his throat under his chin-guard.

“I suggest both of you refrain from trying anything,” Arenis Windgaze stated matter-of-factly, Aelevie’s manservant standing on the guards blindside and acting as if nothing was amiss. Without looking around he added “And don’t think I can’t see your colleague. Any sudden moves would be… unfortunate.”

The silence hung on a thread, until there was a chuckle from Soldanis. Aelevie watched as he shrugged and downed the glass he held in one go.

“Ah well,” he sighed. “Needs must, I suppose.” He flicked his wrist, and the glass arced through the air to shatter on the marble floor. “I will simply do it myself.”

In a blur of motion he had his sword in hand and, pausing only to gesture to the guards at his side, he raced towards the steps, and Aelevie.

Finally. No more games.

As the trio made their approach, Aelevie set her own glass on the banister and stepped forward. Without hesitation her right arm came up, fingers flexing. An orb of Light formed in her palm and, with a gesture, she used it to blast the first henchman clean off his feet, sending him clattering back down the hallway. She finally saw a crack in Soldani’s mask, a flicker of irritation at the same time she sensed arcane wards going up around him.

Raising her left hand, Aelevie drew on her other abilities. The shadows around the banisters suddenly darkened and, as Soldanis and his remaining guard approached the foot of the stair, an inky tendril lashed out. It skittered off the faint shield Soldanis had raised, but his henchman was not so lucky; seizing him and wrapping around his arms and torso, it pulled back lightning quick, bouncing him off the stone banister with enough force to both knock him out cold and send him spinning back across the floor.

Soldanis made it to the foot of the stairs, and now his expression was a lot less pristine. Teeth gritted and sword raised he glared at Aelevie.

“That will not work on me, you realise,” he snapped. “Even with your non-Arcane tricks, I am a match for you.”

“Maybe so,” Aelevie replied quietly. “But who said I was alone?”

On a chain around her neck, beside a jewelled necklace, hung a small whistle. It was plain enough to be almost out of place, even as she set it to her lips and blew. No sound seemed to come forth, though Arenis’ ears seemed to tilt slightly. With a muttered curse Soldanis mounted the steps, two at a time. He was barely half way up, however, when a shadow blotted out all the light from the large window on the landing.

“What in the-?”

The world exploded with sound and motion. The entire window blew out in a gout of flame, glass shards and lead lining hailing down on the stairway. Aelevie didn’t so much as flinch, a faint golden glow around her shielding her from any harm. Soldanis escaped unscathed too, his own Arcane barrier flickering and pinging slightly as debris cascaded around him, although he did much more than flinch, taking a staggering step back as a massive shape loomed in the now-empty window.

The blue Dragonhawk threw back his head and let out a keening roar that set all remaining glass in the hall ringing. Midnight blue scales glimmering with subtle pearlescence, the massive creature settled gracefully on the landing, coiling around Aelevie protectively before extending his long neck, wicked-sharp beak and unblinking eye ending up on level with Soldanis, who was now slumped against the banister.

“Good boy, Fineas,” Aelevie said with a smile, reaching up to pat her bonded steed on the flank. There was a rumble of appreciation, before a far more pointed growl was aimed at Soldanis, punctuated with a sharp clack of the beak. The youth, to his credit, was smart enough to stay as still as possible.

“All House Indranille guards, hear me!” Aelevie looked across the hall, fixing each of the remaining retainers in turn with her glare. “You will lay down your weapons here, and then you, and Lady Indranille and her son, will leave our estate as swiftly as your legs can carry you. Failing that, I am sure that Fineas here is quite capable of reminding you of the meaning of ‘haste’.” There was a low, chittering rumble of agreement. “Am I quite clear?”

To her surprise, it was Lady Indranille who took a step forward, albeit with a faint sigh. Although the woman’s expression was no less sour, Aelevie could not help but notice that, now, she actually made eye contact, and there was a glimmer of what could possibly have been respect in that look.

“Quite clear. It seems that the door slammed in our face before we even realised it. Soldanis’ men will do as instructed. Come, my son.”

With a fearful glance at the looming Fineas, Soldanis half fell, half ran down the stairs. He stood behind his mother, all bravado and dignity now gone. There was a quiet clinking of metal on marble as every Indranille guard unsheathed and set down their blades, along with a relieved coughing from the guard previously held at knife-point by Arenis.

“Good day, Lady Indranille,” Aelevie said archly, as the guards gathered and made ready to file, hastily, out of the hall.

“Good day,” Syelenn Indranille actually bowed her head, catching Aelieve off-guard. “Lady Dawnsong.”

5 Likes

The Skyguard are currently called away from the High Kingdom, chasing a clue that could see them finally put an end to an enemy long overdue for the executioner’s blade! The next few days will see if the vile ‘Raptor’ will once again evade retribution, or at last fall to the Skyguard’s fury. Blood for the Fallen!

4 Likes

The Thalassian Skyguard come to the end of a chapter with the death of Raptor - An Orc that was the head of a slave trade in the black market and the man responsible for the destruction of Mistbrook. Thanks to the help of their new Cadets, they can now come home and celebrate being a third of the way to getting their Aviary unlocked!

5 Likes

This Friday the Skyguard set up for one of their busiest Flight of colours ceremony yet, with five Cadets stepping up into the winds and hoping to find their battle sibling. The event will kick off at 20:00 RT and the whole team is excited to see what new teams will be made on this day :slight_smile:

The Skyguard is also looking forward to attending the latest Campaign in April in the saga of Return of the Damned!

3 Likes

Gutted we missed being able to see the new cadets getting bonded. It is something really cool to attend but we are busy sailing the seas.

We need to get our planner hats on for the next cross guild RP campaign, after the Return of the Damned. :grinning:

5 Likes

The Skyguard are currently taking the weekend off after having a small disagreement with the Necromantic practices of a few Amani Trolls. Diplomatic channels were opened and they were persuaded that they didn’t really need to do that anymore.

We can still be found in Silvermoon, probably damaging that poor fence, being a bunch of layabouts, feel free to pop by!

3 Likes

I am proud to say that I am a cadet-turned-hawkrider and have been bonded with the electrifying Electra at the most recent bonding ceremony!

The Skyguard has been wonderful and accomodating, as has that fence - which… may need to be looked at, honestly. The indents…

4 Likes

I couldn’t recommend these guys more, they’re truly amazing and fun to RP with!

7 Likes

I can’t recommend Arroweyejack’s fashion more either. Truly best pink shirt.

3 Likes

Where are my papers Jack! Hmmm? HMMMMM?!

5 Likes

He shall never reclaim his glasses!

4 Likes

The Thalassian Skyguard move out into the over-growth of Eversong where the hordes of undead still come to play. It is here they intend to fight out the undead from the previous home of their champion Sky Warden Firescar and retrieve important mana cells to help fund the Sky Peak project. Sounds easy right?

4 Likes