Best BG's and why

BG’s in classic or BG’s in retail and why?

On classic for me the best is the Alterac Valley by a long shot. It feels epic and the fights can be quite fun if the Alliance are organized.

On retail for me the best is probably the Isle of Conquest. It’s bug, it depends on the speed and organization of both sides, and I like having the enemy try to infiltrate our fortress and getting their butts kicked.

Guess I just prefer the epic battlegrounds over normal ones. They just feel more…well, epic.

2 Likes

My all time favourite is AB due to the landscape and nostalgia.

It’s closely followed by TP because of Wildhammers!

3 Likes

All the bg’s are unenjoyable since MOP, because of 24/7 premadefest cancer, so none. All the fun on the bg’s is gone. PvP is pretty much dead. I don’t get why is this even consindered content in this game if blizzard don’t care for it? Remove PvP and Warmode and make this game about PvE and RP only.
Getting stomped 24/7 by bad players with l2p issues in a premadefest is not fun.

4 Likes

Warsong Gulch will always be my favourite- I quite like Twin Peaks as well

I just love capture the flag BGs really

3 Likes

Wow you people actually believe every BG has a premade, I think I might have bad news?

cry more pls

1 Like

WSG/AB - Great layout and design with a good old school feel! Simple objectives. What’s not to like?

2 Likes

Why do people just ask a question without answering it themselves, giving an example-answer? Why should anyone else answer a question you pose, if even YOU don’t deem it important enough to answer?

Having said that, some people might benefit from the answers, so here’s my take:

• Eye of the Storm
    It has tactics, it has flag carrying dynamic, it is the most interesting BG, because it can go crazy in so many ways - you might think yöu’re winning, but end up losing. There are so many ways to gain or lose power in that BG, it’s almost ridiculous.

You can lose a base, but take another one. You can lose the flag, but have more bases, or vice versa. It also has deep chasms and height differences, which is always refreshing and intersting to the mind, plus, you can SUICIDE in this one! (It’s hard to do in others)

If a rogue or DK is chasing you, or some stubborn druid wants a piece of you… you can just chuck yourself off the bridge or cliff and die. You get the small satisfaction that at least they couldn’t kill ya.

The BG is atmospheric, has nice, unique, colorful aesthetic, it’s very ‘other-worldly’, so escapism is more possible than the mundane ones, and because of it’s complex tactical side, you never know what’s going to happen, which keeps you in toes and excitement high.

• Arathi Basin

Another big BG, but this one has some downsides. You can’t suicide in it, and you can’t see GM from other bases, so it’s tactically the worst base (which we always end up with). With proper inc calls, it can be a lot of fun, although it sometimes entails a lot of running around between bases. This is a beautiful, summery, lush, green, bright and colorful BG, so it’s good for the soul and the mind, it just ‘feels good’.

The other downside is, ‘flags’ and other such things won’t work in Arathi Basin - for example, the ‘Flag of swiftness’ that makes mounts go Paladin/DK speed, doesn’t work (it USED to!).

The geography is a bit horde-biased, they can easily walk to BS, ally has to circle around, but other than that, it has nice height differences, pretty good tactics, and because of 5 separate, unique bases, there’s always hope that we can at least get another base, if some base is unattainable.

• WSG

A solid capture-the-flag BG, nothing really bad to say about this one, except the graveyard camping. If this was prevented somehow (the graveyard used to be much higher, so horde couldn’t reach us), this would be pretty darn good. It’s pleasant-looking, has some ‘gradient changes’ between faction areas, and overall is very basic, but interesting BG.

• Twin Peaks

Another basic Capture-the-Flag BG, but it has a nice height-difference, a ‘river tactic’ in the middle, nice summer, colorful, bright and beautiful place to spend your life. Carrying the flag is always fun, except when their full group gets on your neck and you can’t really do anything with all the CC that this game is infested with.

(You’d think they’d finally nerf CC a bit, but nope… you sit in stun for 14 to 23 seconds if a rogue so wants, and that’s not really PLAYING anymore, when you are ROBBED of any possibility of doing anything)

Nothing bad to say about this one, except you can’t suicide in it (unless you’re at the waterfall spot, which is hard to reach if you’re far away from it)

• IoC

Nice geography and lovely place to explore, but can be hard to win usually.

• Deepwind George

Has its moments, and is very pretty compared to how it used to look, but tactically and gameplay-wise, I prefer the old system, it had more ‘flow’ to it with the carts and the 3 bases instead of 5, etc.

Now it’s just a mad rush between WAY too long distances and it’s more chaotic than tactical. It’s definitely not as well balanced as the previous one was, or thought-out. Many have described it as ‘poor man’s Arathi Basin’, and they’d be right.

This BG usually has lots of stalking in it, so I imagine it’s a rogue dream-BG, because they get to just sit in any place, and someone will soon run there, and they get to interrupt and stunkill them before they can realize what happened.

Sometimes I like this, sometimes I hate it, so it’s a bit of hit 'n miss.

The rest?

The less I see them, the better. In fact, I would blacklist ALL the rest, if I could. Too bad this game is so stingy with the good ones, and so forceful with the bad ones, so I have to wade through a lot of “SS” and other trash BGs to get to the good stuff.

1 Like

i queue solo, and my win ratio is pretty much 50%, probably even higher recently…

Just because you see an entire team of russians, that doesn’t mean they are a premade!

1 Like

I am a great fan of (old) Ashran, was for me the best neverending BG. It was funny with its events and the possibilties to fight there. I would lovevto get it back forever not only as this brawl

1 Like

I wanted to leave the thread a few days to build up some idea of what people like first, don’t worry I have been reading the posts lol I also found that if I start a thread and give my own answer to a question I ask I don’t get any replies. Maybe because anything I write always turns into a novella so people skip it.

I like Kotmogu because i find the objective to be very balanced with giving high opportunity for comebacks and punishing a boring playstyle with going away from the big fight in the middle. Also, if you manage to survive long enough as an orb holder then you can do crazy stuff with the dmg increase. Finally, if you completely dominate, then the bg ends quickly = no boring slugfest.

I like Silvershard also because the map is fairly small and being tactically superior to the enemy team gets you extremely far in that map, and it lets you overcome gigantic gearing unequalities if ppl play smarter. My only issue with Silvershard is that you can’t end it very fast if you completely dominate.

I also love WSG and Twin Peaks for their objective and map design.

Classic:

Arathi Basin

Arathi Basin during vanilla really was the best for me. During my lower levels, the lack of a mount gave the BG much more of an openness feel to it, everyone ran at (or just about) the same speed so the games were slower and the fights were longer. Due to the pace you could intervene people running to cap, or see them and meet them there for a fight. It was a lot of goofy fun and the items limitlessness back then meant you could really throw down some unexpected tricks. This was the BG for me.

Retail:

Arathi Basin

Arathi Basin during retail has its quirks. The feeling of largeness is mostly gone due to the hectic pace of the gameplay:- gliders, fast mounts, rocket boots, ultra mobile class abilities all combined with these. However this does add another element to the fight because it can end quite quickly, 4/5 capping within the first couple of minutes if you’re coordinated enough as a team. I much prefer the winter version due to the lack of vision in the distance which keeps me on edge, and the team is more likely to defend a base because they can’t see and the games tend to be slower paced, the frozen water and piled up snow allowing ease of access to areas or reducing fall damage compliant todays ultra-fast paced, hectic and usually uncoordinated style of gameplay by aiding clumsyness, stubberness to defend a base and gliding from LM to BS because you can’t see if there’s anyone there or not, so could be a waste of time. It just seems to force people to be a bit more thoughtful which is something I really like about the winter verison.

Really good job whomever designed this.

Note: This is from the perspective of solo-queuing as specific rather than rated. I never got to play much rated to really get a feel for it.

Battle for gilneas…

To me nothing beats Eye of the Storm. Wherever you go there is something. Defend a base, attack a base, get the flag, steal the flag - or do everything at once. Never a dull moment, everything counts.

1 Like

Best are WSG, Twin Peaks, Arathi Basin.

[Battle for gilneas] Can be fun if people don’t give up. But 99% of 1-2 score games some randm guy starts to squeal “LET THEM WIN”. This can happen in most bg’s. But is very common in gilneas bg.

Deepwind gorge was better before they remade it.

The rest are ok.

I would like the option to ban 2 bg’s from epic bgs. That’s why I never do epic. I want the bonus honor and conquest. But I wount risk the brain damage these two bg’s give me. Ashran and Wintergrasp :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

I don’t play classic.

I would kill for old WG without debuff and flag tracker on map and AB with ress not on a “random” base

I rly miss Strand of the Ancients. It was super fast and engaging BG. Too bad they removed it from the game completely. Now we have lame ones such as deepwind gorge and seething shore…

It actually was a very well designed BG.

The only downside was that it had a useless second round if you didn’t get the objective before 10 minutes. It took too long.