Best warlock spec choice casual player

So I recently started playing again after a long time.
I’m a very casual player, just play for fun and am not planning to go beyond normal or tops heroic raiding and was wondering if there’s any advice on which spec to play.
I don’t know the ins and outs of every spec and ability so I was wondering if you guys had any advice.
Currently I’m playing affliction, which I enjoy alot, but I feel like I’m not getting the most out of my dps and was wondering if I should maybe switch specs.

Try Destro; the rotation is simpler and you can do the Codex of Xerrath quest that makes all your spells green! Also, Chaos Bolt is cool!

1 Like

as affliction malefic rapture should do around 45% of your damage so u need to maximize that.
demo requires a PhD.
destro is usually advised. spam incinirate, keep immolate up so you have only one dot, and chaos bolt with shards and backdraft. thats it.

i’m currently leveling a sp and i can say without a single shred of hesitation that it feels way closer to what locks should feel like over affliction. to consider.

3 Likes

thanks, that’s quite helpfull.
I’ve been considering rerolling a priest or mage maybe, might look into that, just don’t want to go through leveling again lol.

SP should be what afflic lock should be.
Destro should be what Fire Mage is but with fel class fantasy integration
Demo should be something along the lines of BM with two strong Demon-pets that shred with CDs involving summoning more powerful demons.

Alas this is a pipe dream.

3 Likes

tbh the comparison of affli and sp and how to differentiate them is not a copy pasta from each to one other, but they’re supposed to be pretty close yeah. difference is affli should be tankier passively with more leeching effect, less burst, better drain and more control than a priest. currently priest has more leeches, his drain slow and our drain is a talent, has more dots baseline with 2 includin leech effects, more def cds, better passiv tankiness with shields on another school of magic than shadow.

disagree for mage and destro, mage is overloaded tankiness wise atm (all the shields, temp, blocks, caute), so that needs to be nerfe, but destro shouldnt have mage mobility and mage insane burst. it should have more on demand burst but less impressiv (mage is tied to bigger cd, were tied to shards and maybe a dark soul one), bad mobility but tankiness (the least of the 3 lock specs though).

demo is rrrrreeeee so no idea what its supposed to be atm, but what u describe could be okay. and i still think we should have meta even as master summoners, i dont udnerstand why some ppl find meta and pupeter mutually exclusive. they dont have to be. the devs have decided so.

and i mentionned it but tankiness wise, demo should be the tankier upfront due to soul link, affli should be close second but based on healin (which means healin debuff is big on affli) and destro should be a tanky caster but nothing specific.
demon armor should be baseline and make the class at least mail but not up to plate (plate should always be highest armor).

but the devs got no clue, affli dots do less dmg than in tbc, class feels squishy, destro is so stripped off anything cool and demo is plain bad, performs well when abusing HP trinket as a dps

1 Like

That sums it up, I wish for meta but don’t expect it to comeback. I just hope for more survivability.

I think destro is the easiest spec to start with and imo most fun as well, in pvp tho u might struggle with all specs at first

Play destruction. You can’t go wrong wiht it. It is good for all content and rotation is simple.
Affliction takes too much attention to manage dots on targets + all the drains and raptures.
Demonology is in the bad state right now and i woudn’t pick it.

go demo m8 you can just about solo anything in the open world .

3 Likes

This is a common misconception, it just requires a little bit more focus with timings etc. It’s fairly simple rotationally, you just need to understand how imp energy works and how to build a tyrant. I’ve managed to teach a few people that have asked me randomly in game how it works over Discord very quickly just by sitting on a target dummy for a few minutes with them.

2 Likes

In PvP, however, there’s no such thing as ‘rotation’, and you won’t survive any BG as warlock, the way you can with some other classes. In a group, you can do CC or damage, but that’s about it. Anyone focuses on you, let alone more than one, and without a pocket healer, you’re sitting dead duck punching bag.

I’ve played all three.

Affliction isn’t the walk in the park that people tend to suggest. Requires constant managing of DoTs, which run out far too quickly, and just isn’t very fun.

Destruction is a hodgepodge of spells that don’t feel at all connected; some recharge quickly but don’t deal any satisfying damage, others deal noticable damage but have an irritatingly long cooldown. It’s rather manic, packed and tedious.

Demonology is about sending in a big, hulking, huge weapon wielding demon to keep the attention of your target(s) while you stay back and build up your own little army of demons, and get your first demon to stun the enemy if they get cocky enough to try and deliver a powerful attack while you’re working. It’s wonderfully smooth, brilliant fun and pretty much the spec of any class in the game.

At the end of the day, it’s all a matter of personal taste, but I know which one I would recommend!

1 Like

I think destruction of the casual spec, demo is for me mit satisfying enough. So much work for that little dmg. No real burst, no real caster. It is something between a real caster and a apprentice summoner.

Affliction could be great, if MR wouldn’t exists.

PVE - If you’re getting no real burst out of demo, then you’re not playing it properly.

PVP - destru blasts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.