Better GPU runs WoW slower by 200%?

I’ve been playing around with MSI afterburner and I’ve noticed that on low settings (when the GPU isn’t pegged) the memory and core clocks are low. Of course, that’s so that power can be saved. With increasing the load, memory clock starts increasing, then core clock does so as to balance GPU usage at around 50%, and then finally, memory and core clocks are at maximum, and only then does GPU usage actually start increasing. Only upon reaching over 95%-ish usage, does FPS start to decline. So that basically means that until the GPU is fully loaded, FPS will be at its maximum possible. That also means that more powerful GPUs can be loaded more than weaker ones before FPS starts dropping. So, I’m having an issue with World of Warcraft. On my old PC with it 6500 and 1060 6GB I had a few benchmark kind of zones (such as Mulgore with camera facing towards the sky), in some of which the game would reach 400+ FPS with GPU usage at around 30%. Now I play on an MSI laptop with i5 9300h and 1660 Ti, but the game has never reached above 150-160 FPS anywhere, including previously mentioned zones while on similar graphics settings. I’m also having consistency issues where with nearly identical settings and environment I get a FPS difference by more than 30% (software is to blame for sure). But that’s another topic. Can anyone bother explaining why there is such a HUGE, unreasonable difference between the two cards?

How much RAM is in each machine…?

A 9300H may well be a newer CPU than a 6500, but it isn’t spectacularly better (+15%).
Likewise the 1660ti mobile GPU is ‘less better’ than the 1060 6GB (+7%) by a smaller margin.

The main consideration to make is that you’re comparing a laptop to a desktop and the laptop will under perform compared to a desktop, despite comparatively newer hardware.

WoW is always going to be a game that requires the CPU to do most of the work & all higher spec. graphics cards are intended to do is get better performance with larger, higher resolution screens.

Both machines have 8GB of RAM, but that doesn’t matter. Even if you’re right about the GPUs, the difference is still HUGE. It’s beyond hardware - software is retarded or something. What I have noticed though and the thing that kinda makes up for it is the significantly lower input lag. As long as input lag is low, above monitor refresh rate FPS is wasted. That isn’t the case with my PC where the game needs to run at 250+ fps to ‘feel’ as smooth as 120 fps on the laptop.

1 Like

FPS decrease at full GPU load could be either due to thermals or power limit. Also you should try capping the game FPS to you screen refresh rate so the spikes of more intense rendering aren’t hitting spam-frames (plus thermals and power).

Aside of that there can be some difference with memory or GPU bandwidth or system latency. You can check latency with for example Latencymon.

I usually test max framerate in Stonard looking at the inn. Recently tested R5 3500X and i5-9400F with GTX 1070 on mode 7 pulled up to 235 FPS average.

Is it actual input lag from your input devices? If so the FPS won’t matter as it’s like 0,1 sec from key press to game reacting (wireless keyboard/mouse? or maybe slow network connection from PC to router?). If you see some stutter in animations while having high average framerate - check your 0.1% and 1% lows. It may be that there is some problems in frame time consistency.

1 Like

… and where this is likely to be the case, desktop units will always have the advantage… even with a cpl. generations difference in hardware.

Also; unless you can guarantee that the background system has exactly the same processes & threads running on both machines, there’s no 100% way you can cite software being causal to the issue.

Desktop don’t have to go through that share slower system ram with a GPU though. Most if not all laptops do this as the GPU’s on laptops don’t have their own faster graphics ram so they’re going to get hit by performance right away.

On the whole 8gb ram on the laptop, you’re probably what? Sharing 1-2gb of system ram which leaves the game to work with 6-7gb here and if you’ve put 4gb for the onboard graphics then wow will have just 4gb to play with and that’s asking far too much really.

Laptops for gaming with onboard graphics should really come with at least 16gb minimal, 32gb recommended so that you can have enough ram for both parts of the system to do their jobs but you’re still going to get a performance hit due to using slower ram that is on actual PCI-E graphic cards.

At least that will slow things down on the laptop. Not so sure on the desktop though. Could bejust an easy fix in adding another 8gb to the system to get it to not slow down. WoW really has got to the point that it does need 16gb now if running other processes alongside it.

1 Like

He is using a laptop with dedicated GPU which does not use system RAM.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.