BfA compared to every other Expansion on Metacritic

I can understand what they mean to some degree.

The game in MoP played well but the whole sha thing was just weird and the setting just felt off.

Legion wasn’t as great as everyone seems to think it was either. Sure enough people liked it and it had really good aspects to it as well but it was never deserving of a meta score higher than it got.

BFA has a lot of flaws…

3 Likes

that all seem very accurate

That’s one way to put it.

Even YouTubers who practically live off WoW are pissed about the design decisions in pretty much every video that isn’t lore related.

Well it seemed like the most objective way to describe it.

to break it down into it’s component parts and critique that…could take a while.

I know what you mean. Legion has some really brilliant things but also some really annoying ones. It was sort of hot and cold same time. Personally my score on it is higher because of the variety that class stories brought lot of replayability on alts. Many other things they came up with on Legion were less than pleasant for me.

Well I quit legion about 3 months in due to the small fact I liked to play all 3 specs, I liked to tank heal and dps…and the grind to make that possible in legion…was beyond overkill.

So for me it was a dead expansion.

Tokens would be very welcome. Residuum is a good start, but very expensive. I just want to know that if I run 2-3 M+ dungs in a night, all on time, I can’t walk away with literally nothing.

Ion is on record saying that he thinks players don’t want to make a date on a calendar and say “I get this then” because that is boring. I disagree! Totally, completely and wholeheartedly, I disagree. I do things when I can guarantee a reward. I am disheartened by 5% drops because I am not a lucky chap. To me, 5% means never.

I suspect I am not alone…

I think have to put it in perspective.

BfA is barely on it’s first patch, 8.1. The current content has received almost daily hotfixes and patches. In other words, don’t think you can rate it compared to fully developed expansion.

That said, here comes the Thunder: BfA launch, 8.0 was absolute, complete and utter smelly TRASH. It has even caused a loyalist like me to cancel my six month subs, that have more or less ran the past decade, to month-to-months, from ingame tokens. In other words, I am cashing out my chips, and leaving the table.

Its like they take from Legion, what no one liked (artifact power farm), and double down on it.

And what people did like, and pretty much destroyed it. In 8.1 they have slowly moved in a better direction, but right now blizzard wants to see how far they can push customer satisfaction, or should I say dissatisfaction.

I won’t go into details, food for another day. But will echo what was mentioned above, the community is aging, and rather then age with it, they are trying to “shoot the moon” and bring all the “instant gratification” youths into the fold with instant gear, minigames, “fast” content, etc.

Personally, by now, after 14 years I only really care about m+ and pvp content. Everything else is a burden to enjoy those activities. I won’t go into much more detail, to try to remain terse (fail), but the intertwining of the game to some fabricated story really annoys me. I NEVER liked that, and it only seems to be getting worse.

In sum, I think the metacritic rating is far to favorable. So far, I would say it’s about a 1.1. But, as mentioned above, to early to judge compared to the others.

Dude that score is legit and I 100% agree with it.
During BFA beta I knew people were gonna miss Legion and how good they had it with artifacts and awesome stories. Now it’s back to the bland and boring worst expansion in history, probably made by the same noob team that made WoD.

We gotta wait for Classic and the next expansion, I know now to skip intermittent expansions as this is a re-occurring trend with their team A making good expac, team B makes bad

1 Like

I don’t think they’re wrong in the head, MoP wasn’t very special to me either, monks? I don’t like monks. I don’t play pandas and I generally have no connection with that expansion and I remember SoO lasting a whole year. A whole, Year.

Throne of Thunder looked nice visually and Isle of Thunder and Timeless isle were pretty cool catchup mechanics for gear. I personally prefer an isle of grind for quick epics than wandering around different zones point A to B grinding rep, azerite and gear. We know what we’re doing Blizzard. Give us a concentrated zone not 6 different islands to cruise around in every day it feels like a road trip around the entire United States that you have to complete every day. Relax, give us timeless isle 2.0 and you’ll get me back.

But overall pretty mediocre expansion I could bump the score up to a 6/10 but that’s all.

Don’t tell me how much you loved MoP class design, it was the same bore as cata

Metacritic? Shame WoW isnt on steam, its another reliable source …

These scores make little to no sense.

MoP was hands down one of the best expansions delivered, ever. Great raids, 3-man scenarios, class identity with full filling rotations, World Bosses introduced, Valor points, fun dungeons, fresh content, timeless isle, interesting legendary questline and the cherry on top, Pandaria itself looked classy.

Its more like:

Mop: 9.0 +
Legion: 8.5
BfA: 7.2
WoD: 5.5

I can’t tell about the rest since i didn’t play them.

1 Like

I have played all but Panda. BfA might be the best version of WoW ever.

M+, like in Legion, and so much better than Legion in other aspects.

You cant tell the rest and that’s why you rate MoP so highly, because that’s when you started playing WoW.
Old school players know they had it way better and that MoP was sub-par to how they had it in the olden days

2 Likes

Yet MoP was almost the same compared WotLK or Cata, we still had gear vendors and the last tier instead of a new vendor we got the Timeless Isle instead, which was an universal succes. What was really different? Aside from bonus rolls, thunder-/warforged of +6, CM dungeons, story absed scenarios and Timeless Isle as a raplacement for a catch-up vendor it was basicly anathor WotLK. Just added to it.

No, the most hate that MoP gets is because it expanded on the pandaren yet at the same time people are now begging for Vulpera. Storywise yes shas were going too far but the whole Mogu / Zandalari thing and Klaxi was interesting. Just the Sha thing was a bit weird… To put an expac like WoD or Cata higher than MoP is idiotic in the least, WoD had nothing to do so much untapped potential and Cata was I don’t know. Better hope you liked raiding back then if it was concerning PvE!

MoP fixed reps by giving alts 100% bonus rep, 5.1 was the groundworks for story campaigns we know today (not time gated though!), 5.2 was a masterpiece, Timeless Isle was a breath of fresh air. There was never a moment to feel bored in MoP, there always was something to do. Unlike Garrisonvile I mean WoD… yes MoP is where the pruning started for a few classes (like paladins) and they ditched the talent tree. But most specs were back then at their peak, most common thing you hear in discussion about specs is asking for classes to be reverted to MoP era.

3 Likes

But, but… MoP was the best expansion ever so how can it be one of the worst.

Metacritic means nothing.

2 Likes

I liked vanilla, bc and wrath…
I played a little bit of every expansion Except legion , wod and mop…

Panda’s and the sha of doop, hatred, jealousy etc etc killed it for me back then…

Just returned and levelling cause to much has changed…
But I’m not sure what the fuzz is about yet…

Although I agree that I miss farming for rare stuff like in EPL and tyrs hand haha

1 Like

@Baeronn: This has been discussed before… BfA has such a low score, because an excessively large number of the votes are zeros or ones, which is ridiculously stupid. A score of zero really should be reserved for games that fail to install, delete wrong files when uninstalling, crash multiple times within a hour, systematically corrupt their save files, have massive UI problemss, etc.

BfA has flaws, but no honest person would give it a score of zero when comparing it to other WoW expansions, not to mention entirely other games. There have been and are many products currently available that are significantly worse than BfA in comparison to their contemporaries. I have not taken a close look at the math, but it is quite possible that just deleting all zeros would already catapult BfA past MoP, possibly Cataclysm and WoD, too.

Also, I would not put the expansions in the exact order those numbers suggest.

3 Likes

Okay, so what makes people so pissed to give out those apparently unjustified ratings of ones and zeros?

And why weren’t they as pissed to do the same with Legion?

1 Like

Simple, game has been up for almost 15 years, people grew too attached to it, some just want it to finally die, some hate what’s it become and some want it to be exactly the way they persnally want it to be, wow basically is a transforming game, it’s the same game but it transforms to something different every now and then, BFA changed that, it gave us the same game but less. and the doomsayers picked momentum.

Look at sites like MMO-champ, it’s basically a circle**** of people who don’t even play the game but just like to bash it without reason, a cesspool.

And then there is the " silent majority " which are players who either enjoy it or just don’t care, they don’t voice their opinions, if they like it they play, if they don’t they stop playing.

No one is denying that bfa is not that good, but at the same time it’s not omg ded game blizz sucks, it has flaws but it has many other awesome things.

Also the game being the buggiest mess ever released by blizzard contributed a lot to it, the chances of you encountering a bug, be it minor or game breaking is extremely high, at no time ever has wow been so buggy it outright frustrated the player base, me included, If I was to count the bugs I’ve seen ever since release I’m pretty sure It’d be close to 100s and im not even joking.

plus talking about wow’s death " FO REALZ GUYS " generates clicks