BfA compared to every other Expansion on Metacritic

Always based on around 1000 votes/reviews (except for Classic which has more than 2000)

Classic: User Score 7.4

Burning Crusade: User Score 8.0

Wrath of the Lich King: User Score 7.7

Cataclysm: User Score 5.6

Mists of Pandaria: User Score 5.0

Warlords of Draenor: User Score 5.9

Legion: User Score 7.3

Battle for Azeroth: User Score 3.1

Do you think this is enough of a wake-up call for Blizzard?
Just kidding. We all know Blizzard doesn’t give an F.

18 Likes

You know they are wrong in the head when MoP gets lower score than legion and wod, when classic is almost the same score as wotlk and burning crusade gets scored the highest.

And the fact the the biggest, most liked and the king of mmo games never got a 10 not even 9 ever once according to them.

stop being sheep and define what you like by your self,

24 Likes

Mists of Pandaria is a special case just because a lot of people are strongly opposed to weeb stuff.

That’s why it’s lower than it should be.

4 Likes

They’re giving Tera, a 6.9 which is a literal weeb fanservice slower wow copy and a one button rotation.

1 Like

I don’t think you understand how Metacritic works.

2 Likes

Yea i think also this. Many of my friends did not like it so much cause they felt it was not “warcrafty enough” (actual wording, don’t ask me what it means :roll_eyes:).

2 Likes

The problem with vote/review-amalgamation sites is that people mostly only vote when they want to voice some discontent. When they’re happy, they just play the game and ignore the forums, reviews, etc. Public vote mechanisms are always negatively biased.

And I agree on the whole that the ranking doesn’t match how people talk about each expansion in hindsight. Wrath was by far more enjoyable than TBC, imho, and I favoured Cata over WoD. MoP is increasingly kindly thought-of when people consider class balance and how many skills they had available. Sure, some people couldn’t get past the pandas, but it had some good ideas that the hivemind is starting to feel nostalgic over.

Also… the player base is ageing, and I’m not sure WoW is ageing with us, which I think is making for a lot of the discontent. We need this game to place more value on our time and make it less likely that we’ll have a 100% wasted evening even though we did all the right things, but instead we’re heading back towards the grindier days of yore*. Not to mention the impermanence of achievement, what with the gear reset every 0.1 patches. I can see why BfA is making guilds fizzle, but I’m not sure it’s that different to previous expansions.

(* No, we aren’t at the Thistlefur level of grind just yet.)

6 Likes

Pretty bad reviews, MoP has for a good time now been praised as the best or 2nd best expansion, and as some1 who have had payment on every single patch since 2007 I think that BFA is a lot better than WoD and Cataclysm.

5 Likes

That’s a nice theory. And I agree people generally voice their negative opinions.

But how does it explain that Legion is at 7.3 while BfA is at 3.1?

People voiced their concern with Legion kinda like : “It’s not perfect, but it’s better than the last ones.”

People voicing their concern since the pre-patch of BfA: “Blizzard wtf is this garbage? Are you losing your minds?”

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that BfA isn’t brilliant. However it’s probably more like a 6 vs Legion’s 7.3 - but that was enough to make a lot of people go and complain via every avenue they could. Again, players who are fine with it, don’t go and vote it back up again.

I mean, if you’re playing and honestly believe BfA ranks a 3… why? Why in this vast, wonderful, varied internet are you wasting your time on a 3 out of 10? There are more games being produced than one person can ever play to completion, especially in the MMORPG genre! Pick one you like and stop punishing yourself.

(Also, let’s be honest; how much of that 3.1 is nothing to do with game mechanics and entirely because the LFD community is so toxic and horrible to itself? Something about keystones, most likely degrading keystones, is absolutely and fundamentally destroying people’s ability to have fun with this game, and it needs to be looked at before it kills the whole thing.)

2 Likes

BfA it’s better than Pandaria… my opinion… BC and Legion are the best for me.

For me that list is about right except i would have given WOD much lower rating (something starting with 2. actually). WOD trashed professions for me, hated garrisons etc.)

I would welcome any day this kind of grinds. Timbermaws, grinding scourgestones in Plague Woods, rare recipes from mobs, gold in Tyr’s hand. Why? Because you could do it as long or as little you wanted to (and time for). I just hate this system we have got instead where we can do little bit every day and thats it. I don’t mind to let others have current system but i would be so happy if i would get things i could just grind hours for like in vanilla.

1 Like

Oh, so the LFD community became twice as toxic with the release of BfA compared to Legion?

That I do understand. A guildie from years past used to say “little and often” as he did his 30 minutes of furbolg grinding every day. He got there in the end, and he did it on his terms :slight_smile:

…also, I want grinds to mean something. Right now, the only things on offer are allied races (which I personally don’t care about) and pathfinder (which still hasn’t materialised). Rep gear is terrible, there is no value whatsoever in doing all your WQs for it.

I played a bit of all the expansions except WotLK as I levelled my first character to 110 ready for BfA. In order of preference, highest first:

1. Burning Crusade
  2. Legion
  3. MoP & BfA (about equal)
  4. Cata
  5. WoD

If WoD had been my first proper expansion, I doubt I’d still be playing tbh.

Dunno, didn’t play Legion. But it’s commonly cited on the forums these days that LFD is vile, and I tend to agree. It’s not been too bad while levelling my healer alt, but even at level 60-70 I had a few groups disband after 1 wipe. One even left because he personally died but nobody else did. Because omgbbq this group is useless clearly they can never do this boss we’re wasting our time.

(We just got more people in and finished it. Because you can do that when keystones aren’t involved.)

1 Like

I don’t even count those as grinds (in my personal weird dictionary it is). Those are for me just “non optional content” (which some i like some not),
I am kind of person who, when we still had those grinds in old time, might make big mug of coffee and grind in same place for hours and hours when i had time. And then i might not log in at all for few days and then again have a huge long grind.

Now, Blizzard thinks i am some Cuckoobird living in a clock coming out to do my singing regular but short intervals or i am left behind. I don’t like that, i want to be free not to log in some day without getting behind on some repuation or something for good.:rage:

Angry face was for Blizzard, not for you, kind panda :hugs:

Lol, s’ok, I’m with you on the limited grinding opportunities.

That said… maybe it’s the dev’s way of saying “You’ve done enough for today, log off, chill out, play an alt”?

Though if so, they’ve dropped the ball on “everything makes AP! do more of everything!”

All i heard was “Hey, now you have more time to play games X and Y, cyah tomorrow maybe?” :rofl:

Honestly, making me happy with BFA would be so easy. Just add some stupid rep tokens on open worlds mobs here and there. Make witches drop 5 rep and 15 rep rewarding tokens with 5-10% droprate for Order of Embers, pirates same for Proudmoore etc. and they would have me happily grinding around places wihtout even noticing they didn’t actually add any new content. But those tokens have to come as loot in the bag and not poof away. You have to be able to watch the pile get bigger (oh 3 more for full 40!) and then to return them to npc to get the rep woosh!:laughing:

I feel Wrath is where it started to go diferently in direction.

When ToC came out , we only had 4 sets , plate , cloth , leather , mail … just like in bfa.

Your char was no longer your achivement. Your achievements became the way to access content. Wrath is when you got the absurd " link achieve to join my group" . Combined with that stupid gearscore addon … oh wait just like in bfa again fml !

Dungeon finder and quest helper. You suddenly found people just sitting in cities queuing up over and over. People getting upset that someone in the party didn’t have looms equipped.

Suddenly community , being in a guild , reputation by name became obsolete. I will always remember fondly my holy paladin was icc10 hc and icc25 hc geared. I was declined from a 25 normal spot because i didn’t know what my gearscore was.

then we got the cata pre-patch our talents had shrunk and become over simplified. Palas got combo points yay …

I feel people credit wrath too little for how it layed down the foundations to what we have in bfa.

3 Likes