Black screen during character selection

Just updated my client hours ago, yesterday everything was fine and i was playing without any issues. When i try to log in, the character screen is completely black except UI, and i cant see any of my characters. Cant even change the server. The loading bar on the top of the screen freezes at %50 and when i lay down waiting for it to get filled, the game Disconnects me back to the login screen.

This happened exactly after the update. Please help.

Edit: Tried updates (graphic, windows), reseted game options from battle.net client, closed overlying programs, used windowmode, directx switching, deleted addons, WTF, interface folder. The issue still persists. There are only buttons on character selection screen, Enter World is blank and i cant see the list of my characters. Loading bar at the top sticks at %50

EDIT 2: Can you tech support please reply?

I cant play the game since 2 days. I was happily playing my way around Zaralek caverns without any issues and after the last hotfix my game is ruined.

Why are you being picky with ppls issues?? I see you guys get to reply at newer topics

4 Likes

There are a number of possible causes for a black screen on character selection, but having the small loading bar up top generally suggests there’s an issue connecting to our servers and pulling down your character information.

As such, I’d suggest taking a look over our Connection Troubleshooting steps to see if that helps your specific situation. It may also help to try using a mobile hotspot to connect, to see if it behaves better on another connection.

1 Like

Just scan&fixed my game files, did not work. Deleted the entire client and redownloaded the game, still did not work.

Used mobile hotspot and it still doesnt work. Have searched up for forums with similar issues, directx switching (12 11 and 11 legacy) doesnt work. Tried every option in Network tab. Nope

Im telling, my game was “perfectly” fine until the last hotfix you guys released. I was playing dragonflight without any issue. Not even a lag at all! I even ran my way through Zaralek caverns and after the last hotfix i cant even reach to my characters.

3 Likes

I’ve had the same problem with my game since season 2 came live. Black screen in character selection and the little download bar is stuck at 50%. I contacted support but none of their solutions worked out for me. Some say waiting in character select might fix it, but at the same time I have a problem with connection that it disconnects me before i have a chance to wait the download. My internet is fine and my connection is stable.

2 Likes

Same problem here.

Yesterday I had the “black screen with UI” the first time. But it’s just one of many failures. Since May 3rd (big patchday), everything is messed up. Unable to log in, whole system freezes while log-in stalls (interestingly in game environment audio is present) , graphic bugs & still frames. Maybe lucky after 5 or more reboots to join eventually. Funny - then it works, more or less. Kinda jackpot, I guess.

FYI: I try to join with no Addons, graphics at 1/10. Ingame I dare to change graphics back to 3/10 with no “penalty” … still frustrating. Everything worked so fine for me 15 days ago … :crying_cat_face:

(iMacPro, 10.15.7 Catalina, Radeon Vega 64, 64GB)

1 Like

Hey I am having the same issue, character screen is black, loading bar half on top. After a while I get disconnected from the server with error code WOW51900319.

Before I was also having issues getting randomly disconnected in game, not being able to click any npcs and then disconnected.

3 Likes

Hey me too i got the same problem : black screen with load back at 50% i can’t even stay enough time to fix it, get disconnected after like a minute or so.

2 Likes

I also have exactly same problem and blizzard’s support has been 0 help. They just always say reboot your modem even i say that i have tried many different internet connections :smiley:

2 Likes

and now im facing same problem too could any of you fix it please ?

2 Likes

could you fix it ?

2 Likes

Having the same issue here atm, Reinstalled, different Inet providers, etc.
Does someone has a solution because I think my ticket will not help at all concidering the absolut catastrophal Blizzard support :frowning:

Same here, yesterday only one character of mine was suffering from not being able to see groups on group finder and not being able to talk to npcs for quests then disconnecting after 2-3 minutes, today i can’t even play my other characters because of the black screen.

Me and my girlfriend has the same problem now. After a longer brrak we wanted to play again but on both systems now the same problem. Black character screen with loading bar. Full reinstall also not helped. Tried 3 different networks.

This can only be a bad hotfix. What a shame .

Did anybody found a solution ?

Nothing works i tried everything like everybody here. I paid for gametime and cant play and blizzard seems to doesnt care at all.

It is clearly a hotfix bug

I have a RTX4080 with a 11900k.

Maybe its a hardware compatibility bug ?

Please fix this

Same issue here. Hope they send a patch asap… :confused:

Happens to me sometimes as well. Couldnt find a solution a yet

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.