Blizzard give us a new ranged class, pretty please (Dark Rangers preferably)

Let me start this post by comparing some numbers

There are currently 17 specs which are made up from 8 classes (19 and 9 if you count druids) that use melee weapons like swords, maces, axes, daggers and deal their damage from up close.
There are currently 9 specs which are made up from 5 classes that use staffs, wands, daggers and deal their damage using some sort of magic and deal their damage from range.
And then there are 2 specs which are made up from 1 class that use bows, crossbows, guns and deal their damage from range.
I counted tanks but not healers because even though tanks don’t deal as much damage as dps they still focus enemies and not allies in fights and their play style is still very similar to that of damage dealers.
I don’t think I need to explain the point I am trying to make with these statistics. We need a new ranged weapon class.
Not only are there more ranged weapon types than specs that utilize them but hunters are the most popular class in the game. And that is the case in most fantasy rpg’s. People love the concept of being a badass archer.
As my tittle suggests I would love to see dark rangers finally fill that gap. People have wanted that for years and seeing as how Sylvanas is the most well known dark ranger in lore and her story has been “shaky” these last few years to say the least this might be the last opportunity to do this and to actually deliver something that the players really wanted when the story of the character seemed to only breed conflict and dissatisfaction between fans of the game. No matter how it ends this would be a great legacy.
The class could function in many different ways, to name a few:
A hybrid between a melee and ranged would be amazing. I know a lot of people miss hunters being able to equip both a ranged and melee weapon at the same time. A primarily ranged class who can also dish out some damage or cc from up close (or the other way around) instead of shooting their weapon when face to face with an enemy.
A purely ranged class which uses bows and crossbows to attack while moving and uses spells for the heavier hitting casts or utility.
There are so many different possibilities for cool specs and abilities, I’m writing this post spontaneously all in one go and even now I can think of multiple ways to make a unique class like this, I am sure you could think of something even better.
I know more classes means more things to balance but we haven’t had a new class for 2 expansions now. Even though I know I’m not alone in believing that dark rangers would be perfect for this, if you have strong reasons not to add them, add some other class. But please, it’s been far too long for hunters to be the only bow wielding class in the game when they are this popular. Heck if a new class is too hard to implement for the team then gives us a new spec. Give us something new which doesn’t focus on pets and nature but approaches this kind of archetype from a different direction. I know that the community would love that.

PS, sorry for any grammatical errors I might have made in the post, English isn’t my first language.

9 Likes

Isn’t these basically cowered with the Hunter class? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes, the marksman spec.

4 Likes

Don’t we have dark rangers at the class hall? :thinking:
You can’t play as one but there are mobs and such that gives you that feeling

3 Likes

Could you specify what you mean by that ? Couse having a bow and no pet = mm hunter, the same kind of logic could be used to say that affliction warlock and shadow priests are the same or destro warlock and fire mage, heck all 3 mage specs are the same if you look at it like that. Or what is the difference between Fury, arms wars and frost dks and demon hunters. You can any classes like that. It matters how they are different and not how they are alike.

More or less. It seems the OP is more about customization than a real class.

1 Like

I feel like ‘dark ranger’ would just be a shadowy hunter…

Like its a coolish idea, but how would you make at least 2 specs out of it? (2 because that’s all DH got).

It would basically be Marksmanship Hunter crossed with Shadow Priest. Would it be 2 dps specs? Or a dps and healer spec? It could be cool to hit friendlies with healing arrows and give buffs… kind of like Ana in Overwatch. But if they did do it, it would end up with few abilities like what happened with DH. I feel like not much thought went into DH compared to DK and Monk.

I’d much rather see a tinker as ranged class (with a dps, healing and tank spec)

5 Likes

Actually it looks pretty silly
SW:ToR have such a “Kolto shots” and looks extremly awkward, you pew pew pew lil’ green shots to heal your team mates

In my opinion making 2 specs out of it would be easy, especially if you go the route of creating one of them a healer. A hybrid between physical ranged attacks and melee or physical ranged attacks and spells.

It’s fine. Besides… it could be stuff like chucking healing bottles onto others or releasing steam-punky drones to apply a heal etc.

Aion have such thing called “Technist class” with the Gunslinger (two small pistols or a huge gun) and Aether-tech (basically giant mechs called “bastions”) sub-class.
Surprsingly it worked

Anyhow, what WoW lacks is a “Bard” class, DPS or Healer or both, with your songs you heal or damage (sorry to bring up Aion again, but there its called the Muse class… and friggin awesome)

1 Like

I could see tinker being a cool class in the future, but it wouldn’t fit the theme of neither the current nor the next expansion if it’s gonna be about the void.

Well each of their won I guess, I always found it sily, but true, other people love them :slight_smile:
Tossing bottles and vials, gas or cowering them with healing goo… Plague Deviser Marileth would love it, Apprentice :heart:

2 Likes

The thing is, that was never a thing in any warcraft title.
There’s other classes they could draw from that would feel much more warcraft-y.

Tinker, Dark Ranger, Shadow Hunter, Blood Mage, Far Seer, Blademaster, Priestess of the Moon, Warden.

It’s already too late for a ‘current’ class.
And besides… ‘tech’ will always play a roll. Definitely with a space faring Army of the Light and such.

Heck, as a tinker you could have very distinct look and feel for all the possible races:
Goblins and Gnomes are a given ofc.
But a draenei tech themed tinker could work.
A dwarf themed tinker.
Mag’Har themed (iron horde) tinker (even regular orc could work with that)

Etc.

The Demon Hunters have the Felhammer, and more or less access to the “Legion-tech/Fel-tech”
I think the Felhammer is on par with the Vindicaar
Argunite is not that abundant, while Fel-cores and all the Mo’arg gizmos are basically could be mass produced… and Matron Mother Malevolence with her team could open portals to… anywhere?
But yeah, toss the steampunk/hi-tech Gnome/Goblin/Mechagnome/Titan-tech in the mix, and the “medieval fantasy” setting is out of the window

1 Like

It definitely is not the dark rangers have been put on hold ever since the end of BFA, something needs to happen to them. And since Sylvanas will clearly join us, her bringing the dark rangers to support us would be the perfect time to introduce them into the game.

Dark rangers are coming mate. Don’t listen to the people saying “but hunter covers that”

Rogue kinda covers the DH niche, but that didn’t stop Blizz giving us DHs.

3 Likes

I highly doubt anyone would trust her or her loyalist to let them “join” or accept them
Her career is over…
A trial maybe is in her future
Or redemption-death… maybe promotion as the new Arbriter
But fingers crossed she ends up like Garrosh
Everyone should have his/her own handfull of Sylvanas ash to /spit on as a Daily