Blizzard killed mage

Mage

• Frost

• Frozen Orb damage reduced by 15%.

• Blizzard now deals reduced damage beyond 8 targets.

• Fire

• Ignite damage reduced by 12%.

• Master of Flame now increases Ignite’s damage by 15% (was 18%).

Mage is dead

13 Likes

I didn’t think Fire or Frost was doing spectacularly well to begin with but then they buffed Arcane and nerfed both the others.

Are they trying to force us to play the most boring spec?

2 Likes

yes my guy, they want arcane to be the best spec for an specifc reason as it means dractyr or evoker dps are looking more juicy to play then, sadly evoker is not op or fun so there’s that

If Arcane is the go to then mage is dead outside off m raid as every raid still needs an intellect bot

1 Like

The frost one is really weird, like why did they nerf frost aoe?

Fire nerf is not good, but it can probably still perform well in aoe, but frost? Wtf were they thinking?

This is literally nonsensical, it’s to the level of mm aimed shot nerf that they did a few weeks ago, like wtf?

Aside from the fact that frost aoe is weird to begin with, even if it were to sim really really high, it’s likely that it still wouldn’t be the best aoe spec, why? Because of the way that the aoe works.

Frost aoe is terrible if the enemy moves even a little bit, so even if it’s excellent on paper, that generally doesn’t translate in the real world.

3 Likes

Yeah sadly frost now looks completely dead for any hard m+ or raid content. Even the Ignite nerf will hurt for Fire on ST fights.

1 Like

Fire aoe is pretty weak when the mobs die fast because the ignite needs time to build up. Classes such as monks, locks, boomies, dhs have much stronger burst aoe and Blizz ignores this fact…What about improving mage burst aoe? Spamming flamestrike sux!

Monks, boomies, afflict locks do double aoe damage and yet they still nerf a mage lol.

1 Like

Mage DPS is OP? Are you joking? Check out these videos on Youtube:

446K Burst Evoker Pre Patch, 650K DPS Affliction Warlock Pre Patch, Boomkins 200K Big Mushroom Motes Padding Pre Patch, Prepatch Gambit +24 | Windwalker Monk | 51k Overall DPS.

Now, these classes are the ones that are currently broken and asking for a big NERF!

1 Like

They are not balancing around prepatch numbers, they are balancing around beta numbers. They don’t care whats balanced for the next 10days or so.

Atm ignite does so much damage on cleave that you don’t even talent flamestrike in m+ builds, that was always going to change. Frozen orb has multipliers in the tree so thats not a huge deal. Also frost’s mastery will be more valuble which will artificially increase orbs dmg.

The soft cap on blizzard is very odd though. It supposed to be classed as one of the proper aoe spells along with flamestrike, rain of fire, starfall etc. If its because its lower target dmg is high because of the new interactions between icicles, ice lance and splitting ice, I can live with it, will make it a stronger pug spec.

1 Like

Instead off nerfing all 3 builds ( temperedflame,flamestrike and fieryrush build) by straight up nerfing ignite they couldve buffed flamestrike damage, perhaps buffed tempered flame % crit chance or somehting else, right now ignite does an lot for our single target damage, with this nerf fire is not the best single target or aoe spec, gg

it is an big deal, in m+ aoe your frozen orb would be the highest damage output when shattering it constantly with CoC’s, ice and frost nova’s, without any single target buffs to compensate frost mage is similar to fire mage not ideal for single target encounters not ideal in aoe, this nerf effectively nerfed 2 builds the cold front and subzero while receiving no positive changes on either its fair to state that mage for m+ progression above 20’s is near useless unless your looking forward to playing arcane

1 Like

Never have to look further than the mage forums for some screeching hyperbole.

Mage, along with hunter are the most loved wow children. They won’t kill them. Calm down, call off the doomsayers.

2 Likes

Yeah right, Blizzard killing Mage. :rofl:

How much y’all wanna bet Fire gonna be Meta in DF m+?

Im playing frost cuz Im hopping that Blizzard will buff them eventually. I never liked arcane, and I usually play random bgs.

Loved fire also in WOTLK but it was squishy. Now I can have dragonbreath and blast wave as frost and seems fun. Too bad damage is really low.

1 Like

Exacly you say what i think tbh, on beta the changes already happend and guess what fire is still good from ranged dps classes, except the gap between ranged and melee is huge, melee destroys littarly every ranged spec atm.

I’ve been watching beta M+ runs. Couple of weeks back frost was doing quite well in trash (in par with monks/ret pallys and other good aoe classes) now frost is behind 15-20% of other classes. Is blizzard seriously gonna make same error with frost as they did in BFA? frost was one of the worst dps spec’s in beginning of shadowlands. And it took blizzard… 3 months? to buff weak dps specs

3 Likes

That nerf is not an overall 15%-20% nerf, the blizzard one you wont even notice. Balancing is going to be a mess in the first patch as people discover new builds, balancing those trees is gonna be a tough job, so many variables.

1 Like

the issue ur not looking at is:

they pulled the ENTIRE area for a Uncapped AoE Specc… and they dropped under 100k DPS in 35 seconds lol.

now is it fair some classes are AoE Capped and others Arent? thats a different discussion. but if u nerf Evoker based on that Size pull, the class will Do No DPS in any average group.

rather see a AoE Cap on evoker then that realistically.

I guess I will be back to my MM hunts for bgs… at least they can 1 shot ppl even if they are so boring to play compared to WOTLK.
They need to do something about mages, squishy in bgs and non that fun like before.

1 Like

ua rejust bad at teh game

And you cant spell or read, this doesnt concern classic boomer.

3 Likes