(Blizzard marked solution = a lie)Wow causes whole system to freeze reboot required NO SOLUTION YET! happens on multiple full AMD systems NO SOLUTION FOR 510+ DAYS

I was playing for about 6-7 hours yesterday, I had noticed some lag in areas around the new zone, I say zone because I only did the first zone of Dragon Isles over the course of my play time on at least 3 occasions the game caused an entire freeze up for around 15-20 seconds, mouse wouldn’t move or anything then it started playing again but I noticed that for a short period of another 15-20 seconds the ground texture would look like it was in an early build along with character portraits vanishing and various character models would be missing too including my own character.

This all built up to a sudden lag that was so bad even my internet was lagging with random black screens for split seconds then my entire PC just rebooted itself, I did notice my PC was quite warm while WoW was running, one other game I play runs really smooth but WoW is stuttery.

This sudden reboot of my PC now has me worried about playing WoW and I’m now wondering if I should just stop playing or reduce my play time to a couple of hours each session or something.

And i am still having a full system freeze why is blizzard being silent on issue that clearly effects more users ?

OCCT psu test passed 1 hour and running 2e test right after the first.
2e test is with GPU at 300w power limit

Hey are you still getting system freezes like this cos its happening exactly like you have

I think so.

I reinstalled a fresh (Full reset) of 22.5.1 Which is the recommended driver for my card, not the 22.11.1 optional one. The only reason i installed 22.11.1 was because of Warzone 2.
After that i played for over 3 days without any freeze!
Driver date from device manager: 28.04.2022
Driver Version from device manager: 30.0.15021.11005

It seems like windows updated my display driver automatically by some reason so i had a freeze yesterday.
I just rolled back my driver in device manager so let`s see if it work ok again now.

1 Like

The theme it seems to follow for me is i downgrade gpu driver i get no issues for 3 days and then it re appears same when upgrading back to optional driver, it seems to take 2,5 days for me to get issues again which i find odd cos as soon as if played for 2,5 days i start freezing multiple times a day

I think world of warcraft is ignoring best cores on AMD systems and just picks random cores which may or may not cause freezes but can lead to much worse performance
Since it ignores cores it may be using different cores at times which would explain why i sometimes have long sessions no freezes and then get system freeze probably cos its incorrectly using worse corse causing conflicts or whatever or perhaps it has something to do with deadlock preventing from best cores from being used leading to crashes and system freezes ?

Hey Guys,

I have the same issue! My computer freezes randomly and it only happens when I play WoW.

My spec:

AMD RYZEN 7 - 5800X
ASUS RX6900XT - TUF-RX6900XT-O16G-GAMING
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Samsung - 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB
be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W Gold

The strange thing is when the PC froze I still can hear my friend on Discord but he can’t hear me.

I hope we got some fix soon because it is very annoying. Today it froze twice in an hour, but before that it happened at least once a day.

1 Like

Guys can you try set cppc and cppc mask on in bios just use search function in bios bassicly prefered cores i think wow is ignoring best cores which may explain why i freeze sometimes and sometimes i do not, its just a hunch at this point, otherwise try install recommended driver 22.5.1 like 1 of the user tested but i think he may get freezes again or tdr’s

Installed 22.11.2 again it seems on 22.3.1 wow is using only best cores on my first ccd while on 22.11.2 its using best core on ccd1 and ccd2 cos i see boost behaviour go from 4.9 ghz steady on both cores to going to 4600 ghz only and only peeking sometimes to 4,9 ghz usually almost never i wonder if wow is using wrong cores on newer drivers

If Blizzard does not respond soon i will stop playing for 2 weeks, if still no solution i will ask for full refund im not paying for a broken game.

1 Like

If the game was broken, it would be freezing for everyone, which it’s not. Therefore its something specific to a sub-set of players. Either their hardware, their software, or their WoW configuration.

What you are seeing is called “Confirmation Bias”, that is, you are having a problem, so you go looking for other people with the same problem, and find them, confirming your bias that the game is “broken”.

I am not saying you’re not having issues, I am simply saying that not everyone is.

By looks of it all full AMD rigs are having issues so it may be gpu driver issue, if not mentioned it yet but i have a crazy amount of pop in and sometimes missing models like weapons or spells not being rendered

Sorry if i have to ask but do you run 2 screens or 1 ? or more then 2 even ?
Also do you run rtss i recommend uninstalling it it defiantly has impact on getting blackscreens when having MPO enabled

I’m only using 1 screen and I don’t run rtss.

which driver ? cos if its the optional drivers im somewhat relieved if there people even on 22.5.1 or older having issues im worried cos that means i have to eventually install optional driver to play wow and this forces me to disable MPO

Anyway if i have to guess my gpu driver is crashing and then the deadlock bug is causing whole system to deadlock not freeze, there been times if had blackscreens as well with MPO enabled it would not recover or respond to win+ctrl+shift+b which restarts dwm and causes gpu driver to recover, but then for some reason it recovers upon inserting an usb flash drive which i insert to hear if it plays the hardware detect sound.

I also use enchanced sync in wow which causes blackscreens if fullscreen optimisations are turned on i have strong feeling nothing is wrong with system that GPU drivers are causing this i may just test 22.3.1 for couple of days, i do not trust 22.5.1 at all even if AMD recommends it.

Was just reading AMD troubleshooting recommendations and its as if any third party software or their own drivers are usually main culprit of their driver issues some cases an hardware upgrade well if defiantly done no such thing recently other then running optional drivers for a month now or more.

Really disapointed in Blizzard not recognizing problems users are having thanks for nothing

Just to add on to this, I am also having the same issue. Currently testing this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S1opCRzk38)

Win11 22H2
Asus B550 GAMING X
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Radeon RX 5700 XT 8Gb

2 Likes

Oops, wrong character selected. Also, forgot to add, that I am having these issues with the newest drivers only - 22.10.* and 22.11.*. I played with 22.5.1 for a couple of days and had no issues but today AMD asked me to update to 22.11.2 as a recommended driver and it immediately crashed 2 hours in.

Tell that rep that 22.11.2 is not recommended but optional and cause of the instability 22.11.2 is just a re release of 22.7.1 many times over with some tweaks and minor fixes as real driver team is working on rx7000 right now i fear for worst once next driver releases or perhaps nightmare will finally end, i cannot confirm yet if i have no issues its to random, unstable drivers cause random things if had no system freezes for 3 days before on release of dragonflight i still do not understand what is going on what causing this

Also disabling MPO may make desktop stable but the drivers remain unstable mess really sucks i hope 22.12.1 drivers will be stable finally but for now im probably gonna stay on 22.3.1 even after 22.12.1 releases least to confirm that i have no hardware issues for 2 weeks
To afraid to touch any new drivers right now if my suspicions are correct

I’ve not opened a ticket, it was someone else that said it in the thread. The AMD software popped up with an update to 22.11.2 itself (I had it set to update to Recommended drivers only exactly for this reason) and you can also see that the AMD Drivers site is also recommending 22.11.2 - i.e. they are no longer optional.

Though, if these drivers keep crashing, I will definitely be going back to 22.5.1.
Also, what is MPO and why do you keep mentioning it? Does it help with the issue if you disable it?

To pitch in, not exactly the same issue but… it’s like WoW performance gets worse with each passing day.
Two days ago my game began to freeze upon logging into the world. It freezes for like… a second and then it’s all good. It also freezes when I level up my renown as well - so anything that has that glowy yellow effect freezes it for a bit… and for some reason the glowy effect is there when you login too.