Blizzard's acknowledgement of RP: Lets get our voices heard!

This is pretty exciting!

Yesterday, World of Warcraft’s official twitter & youtube accounts posted a poll gauging the level of interest in roleplay. As it currently stands with the twitter poll, around fifty percent of the community seem to participate in roleplay to some degree!

https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/1786500984539099297

There’s still around 9 hours left to vote. Lots of people are sharing photos of their characters, guilds and community events in the replies. I figured I should share it here to help it gain traction! :heart:

17 Likes

Shame I have to have a twitter account for that one!

https://www.youtube.com/@Warcraft/community

Is where you can vote aswell, if you do not want to make a twitter account!

5 Likes

Interesting timing. It feels like Blizzard saw the backlash to the Addon PTR bug and they are now testing the waters to see how much of the Twitter-competent portion of the community still roleplays.

@OP you can post links using preformatted text (Ctrl+e) and spare everyone those 2 seconds of having to correct broken links, ie:
https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/1786500984539099297

4 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking too. I believe its a good sign, its really cool for them to acknowledge it and reply to the pictures people share. Makes me hopeful for the future.

Thank you, edited it!

There is a similar poll going on on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxQAq9Ac0nIa-7GrLrwh2KwVXEp4gS6IoA

2 Likes

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

As with every poll, it’s enthusiasts spreading the word to enthusiasts doing the statistical tilting but this is still a good thing as it brings genuine attention to a very neglected yet important part of the consumer base. Reliably subscribed regardless of content and motivated to keep giving the company money for essentially nothing, it’s foolish to ignore RPers even if we’re in reality a few thousand out of millions of players.

7 Likes

I think the poll % matters less than the numbers.
Like, I’m sure they already have ways of tracking metrics/numbers for Mythic/Raiders, PVPers, etc etc.

But likely not for RPers. And there may well be some overlap too.

1 Like

While I don’t think this is entirely wrong, as role-players also create their content, I believe role-players are not as content-immune as people sometimes say.

Just look at how night elves or gilneans’ role-play bloomed due to the new developments. Or how many blood elves returned after the Midnight announcement.
By contrast, look at how RP struggled during Shadowlands.

I think role-players need more love to the world at large. Less focus on single characters, with whom they can’t interact anyway, and more on the factions.

14 Likes

I am happy to see an increased interest in Roleplayers.

Blizzard better listens and delivers to the RP-Community.
They are their most loyal customers, and not seasonal players.
An income that is safe and constant has a high value, even if the seasonal income is bringing more money currently.

1 Like

The income of a few thousand loyal subscribers is absolutely not going to pay for everything, FYI.

That said, Blizzard has been doing a phenomenal job for roleplayers in this expansion alone. From a lot of cosmetics to a toggle to disable NPCs in areas like one Valdrakken inn, Greymane Manor, and Gilneas City itself.

From the way things look in TWW, they don’t seem to be stopping either.

6 Likes

All the new Emotes that NPCs have had since BFA/Legion, please :< Some of them are really good, especially the Guard style ones. Or just, like, different /sit and the ability to lean on things, pretty please…

1 Like

Please Blizzard. Just a crumb.

4 Likes

I would KILL to be able to lean against stuff.

2 Likes

i would kill

2 Likes

I would kill for more reasonable Toy cooldowns.

It’s always like:
“Do something really cool for 10 seconds” and then there is like an hour of cooldown.

1 Like

The strength of the role-playing community isn’t in its numbers, but in the level of engagement that we have. Many of us buy books, atlases, and reply to Blizzard’s tweet in greater numbers than your average player, etc. And it wouldn’t surprise me if some of us also buy a significant amount of merchandise from the shop.

Your average role-player is more prone to engage with the community than your average non-RPer. This is an added value that we bring - how much of it is worth, I do not know. But it is a thing!

As for what I would like to see for role-players: a “casting” emote as a toy that gives me a hearthstone-like channel.

For example. The Maldraxxus hearthstone is great for necromancers, can’t we have similar forms of casting as toys? So I don’t have to interrupt myself every six seconds. Give me auras that block my character in a casting positions!

4 Likes

Not to mention that certain cool toys did have a low cooldown which was then increased for no obvious reason.

So much this.

A toy where you can collect all kinds of trinket effects and select from a “Call Pet”-like function. You loot a trinket and bam, the toy can be adjusted to unleash any chosen effect - on a relatively low cooldown of maybe 10-30 seconds? Let’s get it on.

1 Like

The scrolls that inscription can make are kind of useful for some spell casting.
Scrying Roguestones are good for channels too as they let you use farsight as any class.

But a general no animation other than body movement casting thing would be nice.
Oh and hunters’ having their combat stance be server side.

2 Likes