Blockchain adaptation

This is just an idea to Blizzard employees.
But you guys should really implement blockchain, in your whole bnet
Make all, or most of your artwork as NFT’s, and to have a certain amount of NFT on each game ip.
Lets take Cruel Barb as an example, it could be an NFT with a limit of lets say 100k copies shared across all of your realms.
Items you can obtain through gameplay (no ingame shop items), drops as NFT and then sold on the AH, for lets say BlizzCoin.
but but but… only ppl over the age of 18 are allowed to play for money… exactly so if you play the game before the age of 18 all you can do is accumilate wealth till the day youre old enough to cash out. if thats what you want.
Else just transfer the NFTs through the different games.
Blizzard is all in one universe, it could be diablo or sc or wow, some NFTS can be locked to specific games while some are bound to the blizzard universe as a whole.
You as in Blizzard could also while youre at it, just take over the whole blockchain gaming industry. To find a studio with higher credibility than Blizzard, before activision is hard to find!
And this is just the “fun” part of the whole blockchain implementation.

Then there a numerous of technical issues you can solve by starting to contribute to the blockchains, since Tokens, NTFs, and Games are just the surface of what all the protocols actually do to the whole blockchain (WEB 3.0).

Its neither too late nor too early, or even at the right time to start implement this. But you should, it will be taking over the internet more and more, more applications will be on blockcahin networks.

I can keep guide you guys through the whole idea. but i think you guys are more qualified to come up with ideas where you can find this techology benefitial in your systems.

3 Likes

What makes you think HERE is the right place to post this…?

Where should i post it?
Or maybe you can copy/link my post in the right part of the forum?

Not sure there is one, but a direct approach to Blizzards’ financial division might be better than (one of) their game Forums.

Okay ill try there, thank you!

They don’t need the NFTs if the things you buy are contained to Blizzard’s services. In fact, the point of an NFT is (first that it’s a scam) that you legit own the thing. I know the concept of “ownership” is kind of dead these days, what with everyone thinking they own the digital games they buy. Hint - you own nothing in your Steam library. You don’t own WoW at all. You pay for a license to access a service through a third party validation. This is not ownership.

So if you have an NFT of Cruel Barb, you need to own the Cruel Barb. That means Activision no longer owns it, you’re free to resell it independent of Activision’s services. You can list the NFT on any similar service you want.

I’m not sure you’re aware of the cost of creating 100k NFT’s, but it would be more than Blizz spends in a year of running their offices. Creating NFTs has a real electricity cost.

No, they can’t. NFTs cannot be locked to anything. You own the thing, in the same way that you own a pen that you bought. Imagine buying a pen and it only works while you’re in a specific cafe? That’s not really a pen that… works.

I think you have done zero research into NFTs.

No you would own your NFT on a specific blockchain, and if Blizzard makes their own blockchain those specific NFTs will be locked there. and if you try to send them to another blockchain that there not compatable with they will be lost forever.
As long as a person has a wallet that is connected to “BlizzChain” their blockchain network, the person would own their NFT in their wallet which ONLY that person has access to.
NFTs isnt more costly for blizzard than to alrdy run their huge servers, and on the blockcahin network every player will contribute with their own machines to help the network keep running. and for creating 1 or 10 000 NFTs is the same which is the initial fee. and then its the user who will pay for every transaction from that point on.

dont tell me about research. you clrearly have not made any NFTs, you can by mine that i have created for next to nothing on rarible . com if you want…
do you even own crypto?

However… the entire point of it being an NFT is completely gone the moment it is tied to something, especially a corporation. Imagine buying art, but you cannot take it out of the gallery. Blizz doesn’t need to create NFTs to have artificial scarcity of digital items they sell for real money. I’m not sure you’re aware, but the WoW AH works without NFTs.

Minting 1 NFT has a real cost. It costs between $40 and $100. Currently, minting one NFT consumes the same amount of electricity as the average household consumes in a month.

The project will fail if Blizz puts a DRM on the NFTs as you suggest. And it will fail if Blizzard doesn’t accept at least Etherium, or at best, if their “Blizzcoin” isn’t available on the crypto exchanges.

And the problem is that you’re introducing needless complexity. If the things are going to be contained to Blizzard’s services, they don’t need to use NFT or cryptocurrencies. They have your blizzard balance, which is a digital currency that can be traded within Blizzard’s services, and they can have a limited number of digital items. Let’s say 100k copies of the same WoW mount. That’s it, no more will ever exist, but the mount never binds and can be infinitely traded.

The more you post, the more clear it becomes for me that you have no idea what you are saying. So let me help you explain some things.

First of all a NFT or a Non-Fungible Token, works just like a cryptocurrency internally, its a SHA algorithm, either SHA256 or Keccak(SHA 3 which i.e. Etherium is based upon). The difference between a Cryptocurrency like Etherium or BTC or ADA or Dogecoin and a NFT is that one is individually bound to a wallet and their adress, or lets say. You keep track of whick exact token is yours in the whole ecosystem, not just the amount of tokens and their corrolation to the fiat dollar.

Tokens (Bitcoin): If i lend you 1 BTC and you have to pay me back within 1 week, when you pay me back i dont need that exact same BTC that i sent to you.

NFT(Non-Fungible Token): If i lend you 1 NFT and you have to pay me back within 1 week, when you pay me back I MUST HAVE THAT EXACT SAME FILE BACK, not a copy nor anything. exactly that one you sent me.

and how does one keep track of this you might think to youself?
well you see, with a merkle tree!

SHA algorithms makes a structure like a mindmap tree, where every node and level combined + the whole mindmap tree “block” is given a specific Hash algorith, (SHA = Secure Hash Algorithm), and every Hash code is liked to the previous one, so if you have 1 SHA code you could theoreticly nest up the whole network, and see where everything have ever been. For safety reasons.

So just drop the whole shebang about NFTs, they will have value to “BlizzChain” YOU prese just dont know HOW it can contribute…
and a question about your electricity bill.

Does your computer cost more to run than the average household consumes in a month? If so, please buy a new one, youve been scammed.
If not, then how can running a computer simulation on 1 computer where you are connected to a network cost more than 1 computer running cost running doing other stuff?

Dont say that projects like this wont work or have value to Blizzard, just because YOU have no MOFO clue about what you are saying, when you made your first post. What, exactly made you think that you knew anything about a subject you CLEARLY do not know anything about?

Do you do this about alot of other things aswell?

Think you know somehting, try to be a Nej sayer, and just keep to your perception of a subject you have no clue about what it really is…
I do believe you have HEARD of NFTs but thats not the same as to KNOW anything about it.

Have a great day Mr. Popgligor.

1 Like

Can I respectfully request that adopting a superiority stance in matters that you feel others may not be as fully acquainted with as yourself is precisely why you may not be a suitable partner for a scheme like this.
If there is any more than purely a suggestion fuelling this proposal, I would suggest that you’re on a hiding to nothing.

Im giving you guys an idea, and another person says my idea is not of worth. I do not agree, and stand my pooint and there for ill defent my point of view, by asking how that person is making his argument, becuase you can not argue with a strawman argument. Taking things out of context to fit ones narrative is noting you can argue with, there is nothing to win from it, or as you put it, hiding to nothing. Its a formal fallacy.
Since i do not approve of this way of arguing im asking that person why he is doing so and he should not keep doing so in the future.
You may interpret my text in any way or form you like, thats your right, whats not your right on the other hand is to state that what youre saying is in any way or form the truth.
So, no to answer your post, take my idea and do what you wish for it, im sertain that the team on Blizzard are way more capable than I am to manifest this idea from just an idea to the physichal reality, or in this case, the ether. Blizzard is not my company, i have my own (ViridiFibra). So this is an idea im willing to defend, because in the right hands, like i think Blizzard is, it will be with very very much.

What advantage does this give the players?

You can sell your in-game items for money, well that’s a direction I would highly dislike for a game like WoW. BoP items (your Cruel Barb) which drop from bosses are now sellable to other players and limited? That can mean that at some point a boss no longer drops a certain item.

BlockChain technology is beautiful (and I don’t know too much about it) but I truly don’t see the benefit in this case.

Its like Eighjan said. Hiding to nothing.
This is just an idea from me to Blizzard. I will not discuss it any further, it is what it is.
You may keep the post active if you wish, but i will not continue discuss this idea any further.
Thank you!
Have a great day.

You have done some googling. Good job on using google!

Now, answer me this - if the NFTs are contained to Blizzard’s services, how is Blizz coin different from Blizzard cash which Blizzard already manages? How is the NFT different from the WoW Token, let’s say. The only difference you propose is having a finite numbers of a certain microtransaction.

IF everything is contained in Blizzard’s services… go on, explain to me why would Blizzard spend the millions needed to mint these NFTs, and won’t use their already existing microtransaction system. They can create the artificial scarcity you propose - they can have an auction where they sell let’s say 10 copies of a unique mount in WoW, and those who win the auctions are in turn free to sell the mount within WoW. Blizz can do this right now at little to no cost to themselves and the end user will have the exact same level of digital ownership as they would if they bought an NFT. This is the question you have to answer - why would Blizzard develop Blizz coin as a closed system crypto currency when Blizzard cash already fulfills that purpose and why would they create NFTs when they can do the thing you’re suggesting without them?

How would the “blizz chain” be different from Diablo 3’s RMAH? People could make money through Diablo 3, remember? What you don’t seem to get is that a blockchain whose coins and tokens are contained within a corporation’s product is in itself completely valueless. Ask yourself why cryptocurrency is valuable, and you’ll see why having a cryptocurrency that you can only spend on Blizzard products is completely lacking in value.

PS: I am an artist who has looked in depth into NFTs, as many of my peer artists also have. Keep in mind that so far, it is our craft that is the main driver behind the value of NFTs. You should get educated about art sales, art value and the main drivers behind it. NFTs are a bubble in the best case scenario, similar to the art bubble of the 80s or the 90s comics boom. Don’t let money cloud your judgment.

Using Google is not an insult. If you would have done the same, which i encourage you to do youll find what youre asking for.
Start with, supply and demand. Then why does anything at all have a value that doesnt fulfill our basic survival needs.

Money does not cloud my judgement, since money in itself is completly worthless. But on the other hand, cryptocurrency is not, since its a protocol which perform a certain task. Which will make itself more or less valuable the better the protocol is.

But when it comes to the idea and where its valueble to Blizzard, ill only discuss with them from now on.
Else everything that will be posted about it is just pure speculations.
So if youre not working forBlizzard im sorry i will not answer your question about of where any of this can or will be of any value for Blizzard.

Im sorry to let you down like this, but i will not try to convince you nor try to prove you right when it comes to this idea about blockchain.

Best Regards

1 Like

Money is not real, but it is definitely a valuable set of promises. Basically, when you exchange money for something, the seller receives a promise of value, which only works because we all agree it works. Same with crypto - it is only valuable because we all agree it is valuable and we are agreeing to exchange it with the promise of said value.

Like I said before - Blizzard does not need blockchain to create artificial scarcity for digital goods contained within their services. They already do it, it’s called boes on the AH. Remember when 8.3 boes were selling for millions? My calculations back then put that at 16 tokens, that’s $320 for one BoE.

Because our main concern in life is not our basic survival. We value other things like having a good time, having a pretty house, having status, etc.
Maybe… someone owns a bunch of NFTs they bought for 5 bucks each and now they want to sell them at a profit, so they artificially increase the value of NFTs by making a few high profile purchases. Like I said - it’ll be good for you to get educated on the art market. Basically, when you see these paintings selling for dozens of millions, you need to ask yourself how and why that happens.

One common reason is that some rich man bought a bunch of works from an artist, and then makes one high profile, expensive purchase. The artist’s other works increase in value, because “he’s an artist whose work sold for $60 million”, and then the owner of his works can resell the works he bought at a profit, despite making a $60 million investment into one painting. Or he can appraise the paintings he bought on the cheap to have a value of around $10-50 million per painting-, donate these paintings and write off the value of the paintings from his taxes. One of the major drivers behind the high art market is legal tax evasion.

The point which you won’t understand is that there are external factors that go into the value of art. Factors that have nothing to do with art. And these factors are in full force in the NFT market. It’s not that people care about non-fungible tokens. It’s that rich people are pumping crypto into increasing the value of a marketplace and increasing the value of the cryptocurrency they own. Etherium has been going up for some time now and since it became THE currency for trading NFTs, it’s growth in value increased.

Nobody cares about NFTs. What drew people’s attention is the economics of it, how people use NFTs to flip money. That is all.

Pixles on a screen are one thing, what makes you see those pixles are another.
Both collaborate with eachother.

There are more to NFT’s than whats meets the eye, its not just something pretty too look at.

This might help you on your quest to find value in NFT’s.

1 Like

I think you don’t understand the value of NFTs. I do - some people buy them to develop the market and create the impression of value in the eyes of the public. This increases the value of etherium by increasing it’s utility, creating an entirely new market where it’s the main currency for doing trade. Others buy them with the hope of selling them for profit down the line. In both cases, nobody buys NFTs for the purpose of owning them. Buying them is an investment.

When someone buys an expensive watch, they buy it for the status it brings. That’s the value of a Rolex. These watches bring status - they use expensive materials and manufacturing techniques which justify the price, but on the consumer end they’re buying an expensive thing because it signals status.

NFTs so far fail at signaling status in the same way that buying a painting or a Rolex or a Lambo would. Their value is only in flipping them.

A lot of people are blinded by money and a) bought some NFTs and feel stupid about it, so they need to convince others in NFT’s value just so they can escape facing their own stupidity, or b) are not personally interested in NFTs, but see how much money is made through them and are completely blinded by money.

Enron. The 80s art boom. The 90s comic book boom. The dot-com bubble. Many, many more. NFTs are just another bubble. And I think they mainly impress younger people who simply don’t have enough historical reference, enough wisdom to see what’s happening. It’s something that’s been happening all of the time for the past 30 years. Or more, but that’s how long I’ve been alive.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.